SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : C S Lewis???

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
jimbob

Re:

npausky,

Thank you for providing me with the prototypical response I was expecting.One mans "pure stream of clear truth",is another mans heretical, humanistic, and antichristian nonsense.

"Charles Finney the man of God", THE man of God? Wow! Have another drink of Kool Aid....

2005/12/29 13:29Profile
groh_frog

Re:

Down emotional responses, down!

Hey, why don't we start another column to discuss Finney, and talk about it with more concrete reasoning? There's a lot of differing viewpoints from differing people here, and we all have to work at our emotions (read many of my responses laid out in haste!) to get our points across effectively. There's no reason to stoop to insults, if we can avoid it.

Grace and Peace... :-)

2005/12/29 13:34Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, PLEASE... let us judge the writers os the bible with the same viceous eye and moses, david, paul,peter.. to name a few, would be thrown out by my most pious brethren who need to type with a mirror in front of them in stead of a screen. let us examine ourselves on how many lives have we touched possivtivly with our wrirings or words. How do i impact those i contact in life? jimp

2005/12/29 15:22Profile
lamuskrat

Gonzales, La

Re:

Taximan

I very much appreciate your reply...good points! :-D

2005/12/29 18:36Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

I have a section in a book "A General Introduction to the Bible" by Norman L. Geisler and William E. Nix in which some of CS Lewis' docrines are discussed briefly. I was surprised by some of his statements. He is labeled as a Liberal-Evangelical. Here are some quotes, all of which surprised me (from p.177):

"For long centuries God perfected the animal form [by natural processes] which was to become the vehicle of humanity and the image of Himself...Then, in the fullness of time, God caused to descend upon this organism, both on its psychology and physiology, a new kind of consciousness which could say 'I' and 'me,' which could look upon itself as an object, which knew God."

-Lewis, Reflections on the Psalms, pp.65,110

If Lewis changed his stance from theistic evolution, I would be interested where this could be cited, especially since the book I read uses him as a spokesmen for the Liberal-Evangelical stance. Another:

"I have therefore no difficulty in accepting, say, the view of those scholars who tell us that the account of Creation in Genesis is derived from earlier Semitic stories which were Pagan and mythical."

-The Christian World of CS Lewis, p.153

PS. Yes do start a thread about Finney, as I would like to hear where he said sin came from.

2005/12/29 20:19Profile
PaulWiglaf

Hartselle, Alabama

Re:

LetsgetBusy:

Interestingly enough, Lewis' own statement can explain why in some instances he comes across "Liberal-Evangelical", yet was constantly assaulted by the critics in his own day as a bulwark on the Conversative front. In [i]God in the Dock[/i], Lewis writes a section called "On the Reading of Old Books"; this is one of the quotes that may be useful to you:

Quote:
We are all rightly distressed, and ashamed also, at the divisions in Christendom. But those who have always lived within the Christian fold may be too easily dispirited by them. They are bad, but such people do not know what it looks like from without. Seen from there, what is left intact, despite all the division, still appears (as it truly is) an immensely formidable unity. I know, for I saw it; and well our enemies know it. That unity any of us can find by going out of his own age. It is not enough, but it is more than you had thought till then. Once you are well soaked in it, if you then venture to speak, you will have an amusing experience. you will be thought a Papist when you are actually reproducing Bunyan, a Pantheist when you are quoting Aquinas, and so forth. For you have now got on to the great level viaduct which crosses the ages and which looks so high from the valleys, so low from the mountains, so narrow compared with the swamps, and so broad compared with the sheeptracts.

Yes, some of the things he purports are questionable, and that is why we are called to discernment (as the old proverb goes, 'Don't throw the baby out with the bath water'). Indeed, "Every age has its own outlook. It is specially good at seeing certain truths and specially liable to make certain mistakes. We all, therefore, need the books that will correct the characteristic mistakes of our own period. And that means old books." ("On the Reading of Old Books"-C.S. Lewis)

A final caveat from his work is this:
Quote:
"People were no cleverer then than they are now; they made as many mistakes as we. But not the [i]same[/i] mistakes. They will not flatter us in the errors we are already committing; and their errors, being now open and palpable, will not endanger us. Two heads are better than one, not because either is infallible, but beacause they are unlikely to go wrong in the same direction."

'Those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it'...and how will one learn unless one reads?

In Christ,
Benjamin

2005/12/29 22:24Profile
littlebuff2

Re:

why does it matter to you what lewis' denomination was. do you think God cares if hes episcaparian, or methodist or baptist? shouldnt the focus be on what he wrote and his beliefs and the truths we can learn from him, rather then his denomination. where does the Bile say that ANY denomination is right? be a follower of Christ, not of a name - "im saved because im EPISCAPARIAN!" thats not Biblical, neither is as is being used in this thread "if he doesnt go to the same type of Church as me im not going to read him, since he was obviously from the devil!"

-no salvation by affiliation-
only by the grace of God and the sacrifice of the Savior

2005/12/30 2:27Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

Hey littlebuff2,

Would God really look at church denominations?
He looks at the heart, its very much possible that some people in one church are very fake while others in the same denomination are not.

But thats not the case with this topic, its ment to see what insights C.S. Lewis had and to compare it to the word. Nowhere in the Bible are we asked to blindly accept teaching from any man. (accept Jesus)

Instead we should check on doctrin teached by any man no matter what denomination. I agree with you that this thread can turn in a shortsighted heated discussion, but that is something we have to avoid as it not being edifying.
Thanks for sharing your heart and welcome here! :-)

Quote:
littlebuff2 wrote:
why does it matter to you what lewis' denomination was. do you think God cares if hes episcaparian, or methodist or baptist? shouldnt the focus be on what he wrote and his beliefs and the truths we can learn from him, rather then his denomination. where does the Bile say that ANY denomination is right? be a follower of Christ, not of a name - "im saved because im EPISCAPARIAN!" thats not Biblical, neither is as is being used in this thread "if he doesnt go to the same type of Church as me im not going to read him, since he was obviously from the devil!"

-no salvation by affiliation-
only by the grace of God and the sacrifice of the Savior

2005/12/30 6:04Profile
mloaks

So. MD, USA

Re:

Concur, John. Same could be said for Dylan's Christain themed music, also...
Lewis sowed oats as a young Irishman, but it is obvious he was a beleiver when he wrote most of his stuff. 8-)

2005/12/30 11:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy