SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : C S Lewis???

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
lamuskrat

Gonzales, La

C S Lewis???

Has anyone researched the character/life of this author. It's seems to me that here of late alot of praise and accalades are being given to him. This would not be a problem if I was to know of him and that he was a Godly man, but I have heard the opposite on a radio program. I am seeking confirmation or contradiction to what was said.

To make it short I seem to recall the host mentioning drinking/drunk and womanizing....

This seems to be at odds with what he pens (christian themes / overtones)

(this post is for information / research only, please let's not make more of it than that)

God Bless All

2005/12/27 15:43Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re: C S Lewis???

Well one point that was given in on of the Narnia threads was that someone changes (grows) during his/her walk with the Lord. Perhaps its also useful to check on how he thought at the end of his life and what he then wrote.
Just a suggestion. :-)

2005/12/27 16:56Profile
lamuskrat

Gonzales, La

Re:

Yes I agree, would like to get more about him and his Christian walk, his turning point, and inspiration(s)

2005/12/27 19:25Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I've heard that he was NOT an evangelical. Sometimes I wonder about Lewis. Especially in books like "The Great Divorce" where he uses uncalled for profanity in a "christian" book.

2005/12/27 21:54Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

I've read a little bit about C.S. Lewis and it seems and he certainly was a very unique man. "Mere Christianity" and "Screwtape Letters" are my two C.S. Lewis favorites.

Was he truly an evangelical? I honestly don't know. His step-son wrote a biography a few months back and also maintains a website. Here is the URL: http://cslewis.drzeus.net/.

I purchased the book "A Grief Observed" after my first wife died but I never read it and he wrote it after his wife died in 1960 I believe it was.

EDIT: Here's an interesting article on Lewis you may wish to read Joseph: http://www.faithalone.org/journal/2000i/townsend2000e.htm.

2005/12/28 11:57Profile
saved_matt

Lancashire, England

I read 3 of Lewis' books (Mere Christianity (MC), The Problem of Pain (POP) and A Grief Observed (GO)) when i had only been saved about 2 months at the time they were excellent as a searcher for the truth i found a reasoned argument about the thruth of Christianity to be right up my street.

However as i grew as a christian i became less and less interested in C.S. Lewis' works, in my opinion A Grief observed is his best work becuase it is very personal eye opening into Lewis' own life, the other 2 i read were exercises in how christianity is the logically correct belief system, there were parts of MC i found contradicted Scripture, if you push me i can go and find them if you really want to know. Also in the POP i found his rewriting of the Biblical account of creation to be very telling of his opinion on the authority of scripture, at the time of writing he was a theistic evolutionist, but later turned to creationism, of course his work was not revised to fit in with his new views on origins.

For me personally the role of apologetics has become less prominent, this could be a reason why Lewis' works have lost favour with me, also other things he justifies lead me to see him as a rather worldly christian, also as a close friend of Tolkien who was a Roman Catholic i found it quite interesting that he had no problem with calling RC a denommination within christianity, which leads to questions on how much he understood the differences between Rome and Biblical christianity.

I just feel his use of worldly philosophical methods, knowledge of revisionist history, and other tools he uses to explain christianity to anyone reading his books leaves me with an image of a man trying to do a rubix cube whilst wearing boxing gloves.

Just my opinion on his apologetic works, they seemed to portray a very shallow knowledge of following Christ.

matt

2005/12/28 15:04Profile
jimbob

Re:

saved matt,

Being an Episcopalian myself, I very much enjoyed and still do enjoy CS Lewis.

I am perplexed that so many SI types (fundementalist/baptist/penticostals) strain out the heretical gnats like CS Lewis and Rick Warren and swallow the heretical camel of Charles Finney. Charles Finney flat out denied the doctrine of original sin, justification and the atonement and yet is adored by what seems to be the vast majority on this site.

To me any Roman Catholic stands as good a chance to be a genuine Christian as Charles Finney and his followers, for both teach works righteousness.

As far as your opinion about Lewis' "shallow knowledge of following Christ", millions of Lutherans and Episcopals could probably say the same about whatever your supposed knowledge of Christ is.

2005/12/29 5:29Profile
Taximan

Southampton, U.K.

Hi Lamuskrat.

C.S. Lewis has been for some time my favourite writer in many areas. His writings are full of all the things that make great reading, from Narnia Chronicles to Screwtape. However, I've never come to the conclusion that he is in any way a Christian teacher. I would put him more in the vein of a person who opens the mind of the individual toward God, and nothing more than that.

He clearly holds different views to myself on many things, the subject of Purgatory probably being the most prominent, however he never claims to be writing anything other that his own personal thoughts, observations and imaginations as far as I've come to understand.

With regard to his shortfalls and sinfulness throughout his life, he never appears to cover up these things with much effort, and as far as I am aware, much of these seem to be prevalent before his actual conversion. But to be honest, I haven't looked or felt the need to look closely at all, I think the film "Shadowlands" gives a pretty good portrayal of his life in general.

Bottom line is mate; if you allow the Holy Spirit within you to discern the truth in what you read, then authors such as this man will offer more than the occasional literary gem to be enjoyed most fully for all its worth.

God bless,

John.

2005/12/29 7:49Profile

Quote:
To make it short I seem to recall the host mentioning [b]drinking/drunk and womanizing[/b]....

Having read aspects of his autobiography in Surprised by Joy (which I believe is not the the same text as was between the original covers by that name), I cannot recall anything in the direction of either of these descriptions.

This would be borne out by the fact he married Joy Gresham to enable her to stay in England, [i]long[/i] before it crossed his mind that he had fallen in love with her.

2005/12/29 8:17
npautsky

Texas

Re:

Hello Jimbob,

Quote:
I am perplexed that so many SI types (fundementalist/baptist/penticostals) strain out the heretical gnats like CS Lewis and Rick Warren and swallow the heretical camel of Charles Finney.

I ask heaven to record that I here took the side of Charles Finney the man of God. I didn't realize it until you said what you said, but somehow I get the feeling that it is sacreligous to malign such a man from whose mouth flowed such a pure stream of clear truth. Charles Finney was a sinners true friend. I just wanted to take this opportunity to receive a prophet as a prophet.

May God bless you

2005/12/29 12:34Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy