SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Recommend your favorite books for my library.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
paula4jc

Recommend your favorite books for my library.

I’m starting a family library primarily for the teenagers.
Please recommend some of your favorite classical Christian books that permanently change you, e.g.

1. When God Writes Your Love Story by Eric & Leslie Ludy
2. MY UTMOST FOR HIS HIGHEST by Oswald Chambers

2005/12/26 20:42Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re: Recommend your favorite books for my library.

1. "Rees Howells: Intercessor" by Norman Grubb - A practical yet frightening book on intercession. It's never too late or too early to become an intercessor...

2. "The Normal Christian Life" by Watchman Nee - When I purchased this book, it was difficult to understand but the Holy Spirit has been opening it up to me of late and he explains things based on his own walk with Jesus.

These are two favorite books other than the Bible...

2005/12/26 20:50Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Defintely A.W. Tozers "Knowledge of the Holy" and "The Pursuit of God".

"Pilgrims Progress" By John Bunyon

Actually, this might go a long ways in filling up those shelves ;-)

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=3372&forum=35&post_id=&refresh=Go]The top 3 books that have influnced your life (other then the bible)[/url]

2005/12/26 23:04Profile
GodsPeace

Re:

Quote:

habakkuk3 wrote:

1. "Rees Howells: Intercessor" by Norman Grubb - A practical yet frightening book on intercession. It's never too late or too early to become an intercessor...

Could you elaborate on what you mean by frightening?

2005/12/27 8:13Profile

Re:Recomend Your Favorite Books For My Library

Any books written by Watchman Nee are excellent.
"The Heavenly Man" by Brother Yun. A story of how brother Yun and other christians were persecuted in China for spreading the gospel.Many times God alowed them to escape prison and God gave them strength to endure their persecution and suffering,many miracles took place and they were given many dreams and visions of what God was going to do.-VERY POWERFUL STORY!

2005/12/27 8:52
Laineye

belfast, Nothern Ireland

A book that has blessed and challeneged me so much in this year has been "The Way of the Cross" by J. Gregory Mantle (Rev. Mantle ministered in Great Britian and USA in the early 1900's and was a great supporter of missions)

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dying to self is the one only way to life in God
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

The two great pillars upon which true scriptural Christianity rests are the greatness of our fall and the greatness of our redemption...Until you are renewed in the spirit of your mind, your virtues are only taught practises and grafted upon a corrupt bottom. Everything you do will be a mixture of good and bad; your humility will help you to pride; your charity to others will give nourishment to your own self-love, and as your prayers increase so will the opinion of your own sanctity. Because till the heart is purified to the bottom, and has felt the axe at the root of its evil (which cannot be done by outward instruction) everything that proceeds from it partakes of its impurity and corruption

I have read and re-read and will be reading again ....... as the song says the way of the cross leads home.

2005/12/27 11:28Profile
Roxi

Tallahassee, Florida

Re:

Let me see:

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom
In My Fathers House by Corrie ten Boom
Hungry for More Jesus by David Wilkerson
Passion and Purity by Elizabeth Elliot (good for teens)
Quest for Love is the follow up to Passion and Purity
From Tent to Temple by George Warnock
I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua Harris (good for teens)
Boy Meets Girl by Joshua Harris (good for teens)
Anything C. S. Lewis
Through Gates of Splendor by Elizabeth Elliot

These are just a few. If you have any questions about any of these I would be happy to provide more details :o)

Tiffanie

2005/12/27 13:48Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

Quote:
Could you elaborate on what you mean by frightening? (Regarding Rees Howells: Intercessor)

Sure, I will try. When I first read the book on Rees Howells I thought it was about "God's man or woman of the hour" and I couldn't relate to it at all. As I've read through the book a couple of additional times and the Lord has been continuing to change my heart, I believe this book for all followers of Christ.

That is encouraging and frightening in the sense that who knows what we will walk through on this pilgrim's path.

It reminds me of the story of Corrie Ten Boom. She was a normal middle-aged woman who lived with her sister and father and then her life suddenly changed. Hopefully that makes things a bit clearer. If not, feel free to PM me, I don't want to detract from the thread.

2005/12/27 14:24Profile

1)Now that I Believe -Robert A Cooke. An excellent book for the beginner in the faith.

2)Have You Felt Like Giving Up Lately? - David Wilkerson. When your faith is tried to the point where no one seems to care, this book has helped me.

3)The Christian Life - Watchman Nee. An absolute must for every believer, recommended for those who have trouble overcoming a habitual sin, and the sin nature.

4)Ever Increasing Faith - Smith Wigglesworth. This book is a faith builder, really came in handy.

5)Evangel For Christ - Evangelist Franklin Walden. This book helped me in alot of spiritual understandings. Recommended reading.

There are so many books, but these are my favorites.

Thanks for asking

Karl

2005/12/27 16:53
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

I haven't read that many books yet, but I would recommend you this book listed below.
It really sheds light on how churches developped (from New Testament time till roughly 1900) and it also shows that the 'problem' we have with wordliness in the church is nothing new.

Also see [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=8218&forum=35&start=0&viewmode=flat&order=0]this link[/url] if you want to read a quote of it.

1. The Pilgrim Church by E.H. Broadbent

2005/12/27 17:05Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy