SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Not Attending Revival Meetings? Repent.!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Not Attending Revival Meetings? Repent.!

[img]http://www.sermonindex.net/sackcloth.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.sermonindex.net/sackcloth2.jpg[/img]

[b]Washington, D.C. Brother Edwin Foote preaching a sermon at the First Wesleyan Methodist Church. He wears sackcloth to reprimand the congregation for not attending a revival meeting held the preceding week.[/b]

I found this and I couldn't believe it. Pretty radical stuff. May God stir pastors and leaders to spurn and convict the people to pray for revival, its our only hope.

2005/12/26 0:49Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Not Attending Revival Meetings? Repent.!

I'm all for revival, but simply having "revival meetings" is not a way to accomplish such. Such is only revivalism. In the tradition I am part of, churches often have several "revivals" a year (a series of meetings lasting usually 3-5 days), and of all the ones I've heard of, I've never seen one produce such yet.

I've seen people rebuked for such as well. Not so bold, not so radical. Usuaully it's nothing more than an angry preacher being mad nobody showed up to hear him preach for something that wasn't of Him to begin with. I don't know this situation, but it wouldn't shock me if such was the case here.

Frankly, a "revival meeting" is often just another meeting. We ought to meet as often as we can, and not neglect the assemblying of ourselves together. We ought to meet together to preach the word. We ought to get together to pray. We ought to get together to weep. We ought to get together and fast.

But frankly, revivalism won't produce revival.

2005/12/26 19:50Profile
CyberCarbon

Who takes a camera to church, and more importantly Why?

2005/12/27 10:24Profile
sj

Re:

That's pretty cool!
Evan Roberts once heard his pastor say "the meeting you miss might be the one where God comes down" or something to that effect an if i understand right he was so afraid of this happening that he didnt miss a meeting for 14 years!

2005/12/27 11:11Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Evan Roberts once heard his pastor say "the meeting you miss might be the one where God comes down" or something to that effect an if i understand right he was so afraid of this happening that he didnt miss a meeting for 14 years!

If God wants reach me, He knows where I live. My relationship to God is not dependant upon what meeting I make or don't make.

2005/12/27 13:36Profile

If revival meetings are happening it's happening underground, it's dead in our part of the world.

I've seen spurts over the years, but nothing to shake the town, nothing even to shake our building.

We've been thru times of great weeping and a forsaking, but nothing came of it.

It's not enough to weep between the porch and the alter, there must be more than this. What that more is, I have no idea.

I am convinced that there is no formulea, what I mean is, just because those old timers had revival doesn't mean that God will come thru the self same way. God's ways of doing things are always new never old.

If we truly are at the last days, then the last days are going to be different, even those old timers have laboured all day in the sun, there are those who are only going to labour for 1 hour, and it won't be in the sun, it will be in the cool of the day because the day is almost over.

So this is a different time and it won't be the same as it was in the 1800's and back.

Does anyone hear what I am saying?

Karl

Karl

2005/12/27 17:03
dohzman

What are you overlooking?

I understand fully what everyone here has written. There seems to be in the minds of serious christians that they can and will make it on thier own. Most seem to see the local church as organized lukewarmness at best and revivals as something to be endured and very unnessary in this day. More of a man centered event, O'unless of course it's a meeting by some big named evangelist like Art Katz, or pre-haps Zac Poone or some other big name speaker. What respecters of persons are we? We meet as a body of believers because we'er commanded to. King David said he would worship God in the great congregation and in the congregation of the upright. Revival meetings are and will be nessary in the local churches and all the more in the days ahead. If we are truely right with God our very prayers will have an effect on the outcome of any such meetings, but maybe our dissimulation with those meetings is an evidence of the true condition of the heart. The choice is simple, Blessed are the peace makers for they shall be called the sons of God! Are we going to help bring revival into the place of gathering or not? The way I see it, ONE voice at the throne of God will make a difference. The question really than is who voice will it be?

2005/12/27 17:38Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy