Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Majority in U.S. believes in God

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Majority in U.S. believes in God

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

Traditional religion is still the bedrock of America, with "very large majorities" of the public steadfast in their belief in God and the birth and Resurrection of Jesus Christ -- with belief in astrology, ghosts and other New Age hallmarks lagging behind.

Overall, 82 percent of Americans believe in God, according to a recent Harris poll, which also revealed that 73 percent also believe in miracles, 70 percent in life after death, 70 percent in the existence of heaven, and 70 percent that Jesus is the Son of God. In addition, 68 percent believe in angels and 66 percent in the Resurrection of Christ.

Six out of 10 believe in the devil and the existence of hell.

Republicans emerged as the most spiritual of all the respondents in the survey -- which included demographic divisions for men, women, three political parties and three levels of education. Republicans' numbers eclipsed results in all those categories.

2005/12/25 19:15Profile
Willo

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: Majority in U.S. believes in God

Now if they only start living like it.

2005/12/26 5:51Profile
roadsign

Spiritual???????

Quote:
emerged as the most spiritual of all the respondents

I find it interesting that the Bible never says, if you believe in God, in angels, in hell, etc you will inherit eternal life. Clearly, being "spiritual" means nothing.

I wonder how many of those "spritual people" are helping the poor, the war torn, the destitute (including those in Iraq). I wonder how many of them are willing to surrender their securities in this world, their trust in the institutitions, their status, their governments,their worldly comforts, and be willing to be nothing, strangers and aliens in this world, and live as Christ, Paul, Peter, and the heros of faith in Hebrews 11.

By what I see, all the militant type of demanding "our christian rights" etc, I don't see the kind of sacrifice that Christ requries. But then, that kind of sacrifice tends not to hit the headlines.
Diane

2005/12/26 13:28Profile
groh_frog

Re: Spiritual???????

Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. (James 2:19)

Grace and Peace...

2005/12/26 16:43Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy