Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Head veil

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
dvycur

Head veil

I'm just wondering what you all think of the verses in 1 Cor. 11. The ones about a prayer veil? Any comments would be welcome.

2005/12/22 7:49Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Head veil

You might like to take a look at [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=4351&forum=35&post_id=&refresh=Go]Headcovering Q[/url]

2005/12/22 8:20Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re: Head veil

it's interesting you bring that up because the Lord had me go through that with my wife a month or so ago. i had at some point wanted my wife to cover her head in prayer but i wasn't sure why that had to be done till the Lord showed it to me and her both. Since then she has done so and while i was always very aware that she has a great burden for prayer and i feel the power of God when she prays, all of a sudden that power is more intense. to me it's certainly something our wives and women should do.

God bless

2005/12/22 8:20Profile
sj

Re:

IRONMAN,
I've had the same experience with my wife.
It's not a legalism thing, it's simply
"because of the angels."
cant explain it but i've experienced what you are talking about especially in the assembley of believers.

2005/12/22 8:51Profile
roadsign

Re: headcoverings: a picture of God's covering

I did a lot of thinking on this subject, because I don't want to disobey God. My meditations took me far beyond merely thie issue of what women put on their heads.

It seems like God places all kinds tangible pictures in our world to help us understand spiritual truths. As you know, the marriage relationship is a picture to humanity of Christ and his Bride. Likewise, headcovering/long hair is also a picture of the Bride being covered by Christ. If we miss this, then we will merely grasp for the letter of the law and miss the Spirit of the law.
I share my thoughts further here.

[url=http://www.thewayback.net/articles/headcoverings.htm]Shouldn't women wear hats in church?[/url]

Diane

2005/12/22 9:03Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

bro SJ (i know now for sure :-P )
it is good for a woman to cover her head but she and we too should be aware of what it signifies because if we aren't aware of the spiritual implications of such things, there is no point in doing so. my wife asked me about it and i told her i wasn't sure then the Lord lead us through that section of scripture and i didn't even have to ask her to do it. in the article sis diane brought forth there was an emphasis on the need to understand the spiritual implication of a woman covering one's head and that is key.

God bless

2005/12/22 12:11Profile

Re:

It is my understanding that at Corinth the Temple prostitutes all had their heads shaved. Many, many of these women became saved, and ended up in Church on Sunday. Until their hair grew out they were quite the site, plus a distraction as well to others in the Church body. So, why not have ALL the women cover their heads?

As far as Paul's comments about the Angels, etc. I cannot find anything in the rest of the Bible to back that up.

As far as I am concerned, it is a non-issue for me and my wife.

God bless,

Stever

2005/12/25 2:09
worzle

Re:

Quote:
As far as Paul's comments about the Angels, etc. I cannot find anything in the rest of the Bible to back that up.

As far as I am concerned if 2 tim 3:16 is correct, regardless of whether its mentioned once or a thousand times it's still correct. Clearly its not a fundamental axiom of the gospel, but i still believe it ought to be done purely out of respect, reverance and love for God.

Looking at 1 Cor 11:2-16 verse by verse gives a very differnet picture from that of the loosely labeled "cultural irrelavence". Granted; verses 6 and then 13-15 could be considered cultural, but there is a clear laying out of Gods law with it.

[size=8]3Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. 4Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. 5And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is just as though her head were shaved. [/size]

The comparison is certainly made to the prostitutes, however i do not believe it is for that reason, that it is asked.

[size=8]A man ought not to cover his head,[b] since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. 8For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; 9neither was man created for woman, but woman for man.
[/size]

Man is the glory of God, and woman is the Glory of man; in my opinion it is a sign of reverance and humility coming before God with mans (worthless in comparison) glory covered, whilst Gods glory is let "shine". There is no attachment made to culture here, it appears to be Gods unchangable nature that requires it.

[size=8]10For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head.
[/size]

This is, in my opinion should be the deciding factor. I cannot hope to explain to you why this is the case, however it is written in the Bible and is therefor God given and to be respected :$

[size=8]16If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice—nor do the churches of God.[/size]

That suggests again that this trancends culture. The churches of God refer to churches in general I believe, not just the one at Corinth.

I don't think the issue is a vital one, however I see it as a mark of respect, reverence and love - certianly not legalism!

It's been explained, and ever though I may not understand the full explanation a good chunk of it makes sense :P

2005/12/25 14:21Profile

Re:

Quote:

Stever wrote:

Worzle responded:

As far as I am concerned if 2 tim 3:16 is correct, regardless of whether its mentioned once or a thousand times it's still correct. Clearly its not a fundamental axiom of the gospel, but i still believe it ought to be done purely out of respect, reverance and love for God.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Stever's conclusion:

That is what is wonderful about the Body of Christ- we can agree to disagree. Compare our freedom to that of the Muslim or other religions and you will see what I mean.

God bless,

Stever

2005/12/26 20:01
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Hope mentioned that a link I had given to an article on this topic was broken. You will now find it under [url=http://mp3.biblebase.com/download.php?file=44]a sign of authority.[/url] It will take a little time to load the pdf, please wait half a minute or so.

2005/12/27 10:03Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy