Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : There was no room in the inn

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
_Disciple_

The Netherlands

There was no room in the inn

Sunday is Christmas. Everyone is having a good time. Lot's of people are stressing around to get there x-mas turkey and food prepared for this big day. Oh how we love those lights and the time and the ambiance, we enjoy it. Hey why not? Everyone is happy and is having a good time, why not have a good time also?

So in our x-mas rush, with songs of christmas in our head we rush to church maybe in a haste because we want to get there on time to be sure of a good seat. Hey there are our neighbours and we brought some friends to church. Hey why not go to church, everyone goes to church at x-mas.

And than when the church is crowded and packed with so much people, we hear the story about a little baby Jesus, who was born in a manger, because there was no room in the inn.

There was no room in the inn...

Church, there was no room in the inn, the inn was crowded, it had no place for this Child, it was too busy helping people that they might have a good stay...

Is the Church not like the inn? We are so busy with our x-mas show, because we run our show and we are busy to talk about the x-mas story. Too busy about how the music will be, about how we dress up our Church to make it attractive and good for a great x-mas service.

We think we know the story, we think we know...:cry:[sigh]

But is Jesus there?

Why Church, why are we like the inn?

2005/12/21 16:15Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re: There was no room in the inn

Well, what's even more interesting is when you learn the true history of the Christmas holiday (who created it and why) and actually read your Bible for the true story about Jesus' birth. Okay, so maybe the fact that the Bible doesn't mention there being an amount of 3 wise men isn't so important. [laughs] But what about, I believe, Emperor Constantine, after his conversion to Christianity, Christianizing a pagan holiday of sun worship to the Son of God? My point is, what's the big deal of making sure the birth of Christ is recognized and celebrated on December 25th? Shouldn't this be something we recognize year round? It would be like having communion only one time a year. Why not establish a communion holiday celebrating the Lord's supper on October 31st? Maybe that would make the day less evil or something. Easter was origianly a pagan holiday too, if I'm getting my facts right. We shouldn't remember Christ's resurrection from the dead only one time a year to try to overlap a pagan holiday. This is something we should be mindful of all the time.

If we were honest, Christmas [i]is[/i] about gifts here in America, amongst Christians and non-Christians alike. Maybe this is international. And then through a couple church services on Christmas Eve and Christmas (as is the case this year), we throw in that "Jesus is the Reason for the Season". [laughs] I'm not trying to sound negative. I'm just sharing how I feel about all the holiday hoopla.

I guess the most important thing is that our Christian lives daily show our thanks to God for sending His Son to be born to this earth to set an example for us as a servant, to understand human weaknesses, and to be the perfect sacrifice for our sins, conquering death so we can live a new life in Him.

2005/12/21 18:03Profile
deutsixv23

Plano, TX

Thank you for sharing this. The ox knows his owner; and the ass his m[M]aster's crib... Is 1:3... away in a manger...

2005/12/21 19:06Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Last year a sister shared this poem with me, which I believe fits perfectly with this thread.

Can This Be Christmas

What's all this hectic rush and worry?
Where go these crowds who run and curry?
Why all the lights -- the Christmas trees?
The jolly "fat man," tell me please!

Why, don't you know? This is the day
For parties and for fun and play;
Why this is Christmas!

So this is Christmas, do you say?
But where is Christ this Christmas day?
Has He been lost among the throng?
His voice drowned out by empty song?

No. He's not here -- you'll find Him where Some humble soul now kneels in prayer, Who knows the Christ of Christmas.

But see the many aimless thousands
Who gather on this Christmas Day,
Whose hearts have never yet been opened, Or said to Him, "Come in to stay."

In countless homes the candles burning,
In countless hearts expectant yearning
For gifts and presents, food and fun,
And laughter till the day is done.

But not a tear of grief or sorrow
For Him so poor He had to borrow
A crib, a colt, a boat, a bed
Where He could lay His weary head.

I'm tired of all this empty celebration, Of feasting, drinking, recreation; I'll go instead to Calvary.

And there I'll kneel with those who know The meaning of that manger low, And find the Christ -- this Christmas.

I leap by faith across the years
To that great day when He appears
The second time, to rule and reign,
To end all sorrow, death, and pain.

In endless bliss we then shall dwell
With Him who saved our souls from hell,
And worship Christ -- not Christmas!

2005/12/22 3:05Profile
_Disciple_

The Netherlands

Re:

Quote:
If we were honest, Christmas is about gifts here in America, amongst Christians and non-Christians alike. Maybe this is international. And then through a couple church services on Christmas Eve and Christmas (as is the case this year), we throw in that "Jesus is the Reason for the Season". [laughs] I'm not trying to sound negative. I'm just sharing how I feel about all the holiday hoopla.

This is so true Yolanda, so true

We say: "Jesus is the real reason" and [i]"no it's not about how we dress our church up"[/i] and [i]"no it's not about having a good time"[/i] and [i]"no bla bla bla"[/i]

i'm so sick and tired of this facade, why do we need to say that it's not about it?

Oke i should not judge on outward appearances, but isn't that which comes out of the inside visible on the outside?

Why decorate and dress the church? If it isn't about the decoration and the light? Well, why don't get rid of it? Why not have a church without all the fancies and little lights?

Anyway, i'm just posting again in my tiredness about this vain, so vain christmas [sigh] It just makes me sick, this whole facade, i think we really don't know what we are doing[sigh]

[b]Kire[[/b]
dear brother, excellent poem, stricking and so true [sigh]

2005/12/22 15:29Profile
_Disciple_

The Netherlands

Re:

Quote:

deutsixv23 wrote:
Thank you for sharing this. The ox knows his owner; and the ass his m[M]aster's crib... Is 1:3... away in a manger...

ouch...so true...:cry:

2005/12/22 15:30Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Very true. The story of Christmas is a story of rejection.. the world began to reject the saviour since his birth (even herod trying to kill him).

(Leonard Ravenhill)

And there's no room for Him in the inn.
He got a bit older, there was no room in His family, His family turned on Him.
He went to the temple, no room in the temple, the temple turned on Him.
And when He died there was no room to bury Him, He died outside of the city.
Well why in God's Name do you expect to be accepted everywhere?
How is it that the world couldn't get on with the holiest Man that ever lived and can get on with you and me?

Are we compromised? Are we compromised?

Have we no spiritual stature?
Have we no righteousness that reflects on their corruption?

2005/12/22 15:37Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Quote:
Is the Church not like the inn? We are so busy with our x-mas show, because we run our show and we are busy to talk about the x-mas story. Too busy about how the music will be, about how we dress up our Church to make it attractive and good for a great x-mas service.

I feel you brother.
Have little to add to that, I'm wondering how the Christmas service in our church will be as its a guest-service.

The Lord gave me an opportunity to talk with persons who where closely affiliated with the guest-service.

The first time I felt I really had to talk and share my concerns with someone and she turned out to be one of the people who was in the 'guest-service' group.
The 2nd time I talked with one of the preachers in our church and at the end of the conversation I found out that he will be speaking at the 'guest-service' sunday.

Lately I saw the 'introduction' powerpoint to the guest service and they actually had a line which said 'dieing to self'!

If the church is like the inn I want to have no part of it, being busy and doing things just for the sake of being busy and doing things helps nobody.

2005/12/23 4:25Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, time and eternity is separated by the birth of a baby. len ravenhill

2005/12/23 9:29Profile
Ropafadzo

Harare, Zimbabwe

Re:

It is Boxing Day today. And Christmas is gone... Just like it had come. The message that runs through this thread is a message I was given occasion by the Holy Ghost to pray on on Christmas eve. The message that Christmas should stop to be reflected by the church like a pagan event that comes and goes regularly. A pagan event that causes people to do crazy things... Things they don't normally do. We give at this time because it is the time that is set apart for it...Just like we would let our asses to die on Sabath because it isn't the day to (work) save.

Here in Zimbabwe just like other parts of the world where the call to God is rather lukewarm... there is not sufficient wealth for the best part of the body of Christ to eat a decent meal and have enough of it. So I am not worried about the tinsels. I am not worried about he decorations in the churches. Matter of fact I am not worried about Boxing Day. A local church is flighting regular adverts on the season and the Reason, and yes the greater part of the message is lost to a people who have since forgoten what it means to be the temple of God. Not so because of sin-sin normally follows poverty-but because of lack. The party gets ecstatic not when the food overflows and people have more than adequate-but when the music plays loud. Glory to God even then my cup runneth.

I am thankful of what God has done for me. Taking me to the side and giving me a talking to on the eve. I am not at all overcome by the excesses of the previous day. The Spirit told me Christmas was here the whole year through. It hasn't come and gone. I was fed well the whole year through. I have been forgiven of all my sins and the Holy Ghost manifests in me often. So trully I give resonance within my life to the message of this thread.

2005/12/26 5:41Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy