SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Are you sure you are saved?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
roadsign

Are you sure you are saved?

This link is to an article in which I share thoughts that flowed from the OSAS (Once Saved Always Saved) thread.

[url=http://www.thewayback.net/articles/areyousure.htm]Are you Sure you are saved?[/url] The Bible requires that you check it out.

Too many assume that they have eternal life when the evidence is not there. People's sense of security in their "salvation" is rarely challenged. This article could be offensive, because it addresses the entire way salvation is presented.

2005/12/20 20:27Profile
CyberCarbon

Re: Are you sure you are saved?

Good question, I think there is another item attached to that question, Many people who say they are "saved", say it in defense, of something they are doing or Not doing.

2005/12/22 10:49Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

YES!

2005/12/23 9:23Profile
roadsign

Re: Check it out!

Quote:
Many people who say they are "saved", say it in defense, of something they are doing or Not doing.

This is the point I try to address. God knew this tendency, and that is why Scripture clearly REQUIRES us to check it out, lest we are relying on false assumptions.

When Jesus said, “Many will say to me on that day, “Lord, Lord…" Matt. 7:22, he was referring to those who are convinced they have a personal relationship with Christ, and thus deserve entrance into heaven. But the Lord will say, "Depart from me..." Matt. 26:41

I am sure that not one single person who believes that they are saved will ever see themselves in that vast category of humanity that Christ referred to. Self-deception about our salvation is powerful, and tends to stay glued to us once we embrace it.

Imagine that you once planted an oak seed in your garden. Then you leave it for many years and get occupied with life’s affairs. You assume that because you once planted it and watered it, it is growing into a strong tree. In your mind you picture a healthy tree, and may even tell your friends about it.

However, you never actually go to look at it. From your window you may see the little fence you put around the plot and the stake in the ground marked with the date you planted it. But if you would look up close, you may discover that weeds have taken over and there is no evidence of an oak tree at all.

That can happen when the seed of God’s word is planted in our hearts. In our minds we may still recall that wonderful day we received it into our hearts, the awesome experience, the tears, the walk up to the altar, the ecstatic peace. We may remember how much we meant it and how zealous we were to live for God. However, memories of the past are not trustworthy criteria. Jesus said that even seeds that sprout quickly and show signs of life do not ensure eternal salvation.

Countless professing Christians are so assured of their salvation that they never examine themselves to make sure it is real. They are confident that because they “got saved”, they have eternal security, even though they live according to their own standards, continue to master their own lives, follow the ways of the world, or trust in the church. Sadly, they are not trusting in God’s salvation but in their own salvation. They will perish on the final day, unless they repent."

I use Israel and Judas as examples in the article.. (see link)

CONCLUSION:
John said: “For everyone born of God overcomes the world.” 1 Jn. 5:4 He did not say that some of those who are born again will be overcomers. Instead, he said, "everyone" who is born of God will overcome the world. To me, that means that no worldly Christians will be in heaven. Jesus clearly taught that you cannot be in two places at once. You cannot have your affections in this world and remain in him at the same time.

On the final day, only overcomers will enter heaven. In other words, it is what’s at the end of the journey that counts, not what was at the beginning.

"To him who overcomes, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life which is in the paradise of God." Rev. 2:7

GOD'S CALL TO ALL: ARE YOU SURE YOU ARE SAVED? CHECK IT OUT:
“See that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. And this is what he promised us – even eternal life” I John 2:24

Diane

2005/12/23 10:32Profile
lamuskrat

Gonzales, La

Very good article.

Have been recently questioning my own salvation. Seeing that I know what the Word says and what a GENUINE christian life entails. I have been self examining myself. Doubt and fear have been present, but in a good way. This self examination has caused me to pray differently. Thanks to posts like this and this site, I am still running the race (a little tattered, worn and dehydrated). Trusting Jesus to finish His work in me.............

2005/12/23 11:42Profile
jimbob

Re:

Diane,

After you discovered that you needed to repent, did you get re-baptized? If your first profession of faith (at 17) was a false one, would not your baptism also be false?

2005/12/26 2:28Profile
gzus

Re:

The Bible tells us to examine ourselves and make our CALLING and ELECTION sure.

Those who are sure of their salvation with no evidence are fools. They are decieving themselves.

Wanna be SURE if you are saved or not?
Read 1st John.

I am SURE of my salvation, and I am SURE that He who began this good work in me will see it through to completion.

Sola Gratia,
Peace and God Bless!

2005/12/26 2:40Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re: Assurance of Salvation, Not doubt

1 John 5:10-13 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

1. The Spirit of Life Himself, Jesus Christ gives us Life, not I. Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ, Yet I live. It is no longer I that Live but Christ that lives in me, The Life I live I live by the faith of the Son of God.

The I that lives is no longer the I, I used to be but the I, I live is Christ as I, in I and coming forth as Christ that is in I, not I.

We have the Son why? Ephesians 2:7-10 That in the ages to come He might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

It is not I, but Him that wants to show the exceeding riches of His Grace in His kindness toward I, I am saved by Grace through the Faith of the Son of God, This is the great gift and it is not the works of I, but Gods workmanship, to create the good works by Christ Not I. This God has ordained that I should walk in them.

Do we walk by sight or feelings? Proverbs 3:3-8 Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart: So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man. Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil. It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones.

I will not let mercy and truth leave I because it is not I, but the truth of Christ in I that find favor with God and man. I must get I out of the way and I must acknowledge Him in all my ways. I will depart evil if I believe that Christ is the One that will come forth If I get out of the Way, I will be healed.

I I I I I I I must get out of the way and let the Christ in I be the I and that is mystery of Paul in Col 1:27 The Christ in me the Hope of Glory. Less and Less of I and more and more Of Him. Amen

THE ONLY DOUBT IS I. CHRIST IS MY CALLING AND ELECTION. DONE DEAL. NOW LETS LIVE LIKE IT AS HIM IN US COMING FORTH AS US. THIS IS THE GLORY OF CHRIST IN US OUR HOPE OF GLORY. A NEW LIFE BIRTHED, BORN AGAIN IN US THAT WE NOT JUST WALK AS HIM BUT BY HIS LIFE IN NEWNESS OF LIFE BY THE PERFECT SEED THE FATHER HAS BIRTHED IN US. AMEN

In Christ: Phillip

2005/12/26 4:15Profile
roadsign

"I" cannot be saved

Quote:
I I I I I I I must get out of the way and let the Christ in I be the I and that is mystery of Paul in Col 1:27 The Christ in me the Hope of Glory. Less and Less of I and more and more Of Him. Amen

I say, "Amen", as well!
The rich man who approached Jesus, asking, "What must I do to inherit eternal life," was asking the wrong question. "I" cannot inherit eternal life. I must die. Jesus exposed this man's selfish motive for seeking salvation, and essentially said, "If you want to save yourself, you must lose yourself."

Think of all those who are glad THEY are going to be wisked away in the rapture, and smuggly seem to imply, "to hell" with everyone else.(an absence of burden for the lost) I wonder if Jesus would ask them, "Would you be willing to hang around, and save some of the lost - even if it meant suffering, loss, and death to you", how many would say, "Sure, Jesus!"
I don't want to get into rapture theology here, just expose a possible heart motive of those who are not really saved at all because they fail to meet the criteria that Jesus established for entrance into the kingdom: LOVE.
Diane

2005/12/26 12:20Profile
roadsign

Re: Baptism - only the "real thing" counts

Quote:
After you discovered that you needed to repent, did you get re-baptized? If your first profession of faith (at 17) was a false one, would not your baptism also be false

I thought about this a lot. Actually, I was baptized both ways (infant, and immersion). I have come to regard them as pictures of the real thing - a forshadowing of my eternal inheritance - the baptism of the Spirit, a new life in Christ. In God's time, he brought that "real thing" into my life. That baptism is expressed in my radical departure from my trust in this world, including my wonderful religious heritage (complete with the baptisms). Like Paul, I count it all "rubbish".

I discuss my understanding of baptism further in this article (if you are curious to know how I arrived at my thinking): [url=http://www.thewayback.net/articles/repentance.htm]Repentance[/url]

2005/12/26 12:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy