SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Why Revival Tarries (book reading) CHAPTER TWO

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Why Revival Tarries (book reading) CHAPTER TWO

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/revivaltarries_ch2.gif[/img]

[i]Note: if you want to join in these discussions you should obtain a copy of "why revival tarries" infromation in where to obtain this book is on this thread. [/i]

[b]CHAPTER TWO[/b]

Read the second chapter of the book and then prayerfully meditate on these questions and respond as you feel led.

4. Is it true that "Satan has little case to fear most preaching"? Why or why not?

5. How does prayer changes what effort and words and cannot?

6. What percentage of your prayer is done privately?

2005/12/15 12:11Profile
Sir_Edward

Michigan

Re: Why Revival Tarries (book reading) CHAPTER TWO

Quote:
4. Is it true that "Satan has little case to fear most preaching"? Why or why not?

Yes. For two reasons. One as Ravenhill points out there is little unction behind most preaching because very few preachers pray like they should to get unction. Trust me the reason most people pray to God like Santa Claus with their want list is the leadership does the same. Secondly, Prayer along with the Word are two of the most powerful weapons we possess in Spiritual warfare -- but -- We do not treat them this way on a practical level. Fellowship dinnners with food are well attended but prayer meetings well -- you get the same few all the time. Recently the [i]Pentecostal Evangel[/i] did an article on Biblical illiteracy. Gladly, people are beleiving more and more that the Bible is histoically accurate. What is sad is the fact the knowledge of the Bible's content is almost non existant. They had a twenty question test to rate people knowledge. Nearly everyone in the church took it . Average score -- 6 out of 20. That's 30% -- F and a bad one folks. How does one use the sword of the Spirit againt the devil if one does not know its content. You can't. Any soldier will tell you that knowledge of what your weapon can do is the first step to being effective. After that is gaining skill in using it. North American Christians are ignorant of even the first part.

Quote:

Prayer touches the spiritual in a way words and actions cannot. It therefore has a power to change the soul and spirit of a person where the other two without unction cannot really change anything. Those things can change only temporarily things that are temporary. prayer changes eternity.

Quote:

Hmmm. A reflective quesiton. Well , it is said confession is good for the soul so.... I would say 70% of my prayer is private. Probably should be 80-90%. Let me do the math. 14 hours private prayer. We have services, plus four prayer times which are all public -- total 7.5 hours. Hmm -- worse than I thought -- 65% is private. To get it up to 80 % I would have to add 16 more hours of private prayer. That's more than double what I do now. 4 1/2 to 5 hours per day. If the prayer meetings begin to go long (please Lord) -- even more. Man -- never read this book and [i]Revial Praying[/i] at the same time if you want on to hold onto your flesh. ;-) Oh brother Ravenhill thoguh dead you still speak with a Spirit empowered voice.

Pastor's always have some public prayer, but if not proceeded with private prayer of a great amount -- public prayer is well -- Spiritless.

Blessings.

2005/12/16 9:45Profile
dougkristen

Re: Why Revival Tarries (book reading) CHAPTER TWO

This is true because nobody or most people don’t pray anymore. I know from my own life to my shame and how many others lack in prayer before they make decisions or minister to others. It is easier to just look busy, seem spiritual by our activity before we pray and seek the face of God. There is no vision and passion in the church because we don’t pray. The church is powerless because of our lack of prayer. Satan knows how powerful prayer is against his plans and schemes and he does everything he can to distract us from going to prayer meetings, in private or with our wives and children.

Our offorts are masked for unction, or power from God working through us in our lives. We can do much to create a shell of spirituality and appearance of relationship with God without actually having life flow through us. I know from my own life as a Christian how for many years, almost 17, I went to Church, had Christian friends, did all the church activities, was busy, busy, busy, but my spiritual life was in shambles, still a child of satan, sinning, in bondage to sin, not praying much nor reading God’s Word.. I have to ask myself if this is still the same today in my life? Thankfully no, I still need more passion by God’s grace and that is why I have decided to do this study. We need to pray, I need to pray, or I will die spiritually.

This all depends on how much one prays totally each day, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, more? I guess for me my percentage done privately is about 50%. I pray some with my wife and with my children, though brief, we are growing in this area in family devotions and prayer with my wife. I pray while I drive privately and alone briefly. This teaching is exercising me in self examination here and being real with the Lord.

Father help me to have zeal, passion and a desire to not be distracted by the things of this world and to seek You and pray daily!

A friend who is a pastor of a moderate size church, told me that for the first 2 years he never prayed hardly or read his Bible for the entire time but was busy, busy, doing the work of the church. He told me he never took a Sabbath. He has soon changed his ways since the beginning of his minisitry as a pastor. I am sure many are in similar situations, being so busy doing and not being in the presence of God praying, touching eternity.

2005/12/16 10:24Profile

Re:

4. Is it true that “Satan has little cause to fear most preaching”? Why or why not?

“It may be that Satan has little cause to fear preaching. Yet past experiences sting him to rally all his infernal army to fight against God’s people praying.” LR. I think Satan’s fear of preaching would depend on the praying that backs it up. Charles Finney’s prayer partner comes to mind. Here are some words that were written concerning Daniel Nash, “The enemies of revival counted Nash a full partner to Finney in the work. They feared and hated his praying at least as much as they did Finney’s preaching.” Another anecdote that comes to mind is concerning a dream this one preacher had. In his dream he saw the devil preaching the Gospel of Christ to a crowd. He was so disturbed at this and went up to the devil and asked him why he was preaching Christ and the Cross. The devil replied that without the anointing of the Holy Spirit (the unction) he was actually driving people away from Christ instead of bringing them to Christ. This may not be the exact wording of the preacher’s dream but it is what I remembered from hearing it.
Thus it seems that preaching that is not anointed and covered with prayer isn’t even worth Satan worrying about.

5. How does prayer change what effort and words cannot?
First in the personal area: Ravenhill gives two prerequisites to successful Christian living: vision and passion. He says that these are born and maintained by prayer. No amount of my efforts will keep alive vision and passion if I don’t spend time in prayer with God; if they do, the vision is probably mine own selfish vision and the passion is worked up and will soon disintegrate.
Second in the area of praying for others. Intercessory prayer is spending time before the Throne of Grace pleading and groaning before the Almighty God Who has the power to intervene in men’s lives (Daniel 4:35). Two men come to mind that did more than just work and talk with the people. Moses in Exodus 32:31-32 pleads with God not to destroy the people; he laid his life on the line for the children of Israel. Samuel in 1 Samuel 12:23 declares to the people that he would not cease to pray for them. Samuel called it a sin to cease praying for Israel. That is very revealing in the importance of praying.
Prayer that is ‘Spirit-inspired, hell-shaking, and world-breaking’ does make a difference! The little amount of time that the church spends in this kind of prayer reveals the lack of faith she has in it. “By our attitude to prayer we tell God that what was begun in the Spirit we can finish in the flesh.” LR.

I am such a beginner when it comes to my own private prayer time. Two months ago prayer time for me was a few short minutes at the end of my quiet time and scattered prayer through out the day. Now, by the grace of God I now have a set time in the day that is just for praying and interceding for others (and also scattered prayer through out the day). Two or three times a week I am praying with other Christians in a group setting. Then there is also prayer time with my family. Percentage wise I would say it’s about 50/50. One discovery I have made is how little I know about praying. I have found that it’s one thing to have lots of head knowledge on how to pray but when my prayer time comes I find myself crying to the Lord, ‘teach me to pray’!

Quote:
Father help me to have zeal, passion and a desire to not be distracted by the things of this world and to seek You and pray daily!

Amen!

2005/12/17 16:01
Sir_Edward

Michigan

Re:

Roniya,
Very good point about Finney and Nash. it seems that good preaching is often proceeded not only by the preacher being a man of prayer, but also that there is a man or men, woman or women who prayer fevrently for him. It is interesting some of the stories of prayer partners and intercessors for these men are just as colorful as their own.

It might then be said that a preacher needs someone praying for him with fervrency as well as himself praying with fervrency.

Blessings.

2005/12/17 18:54Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: WRT Chapter 2

Just wanted to acknowledge the great responses here briefly and this gem;

Quote:
We need to pray, I need to pray, or I will die spiritually.

Have about a two week long bit of journaling that somehow turned into a sort of commentary stemming from a lot of prayer and based around John 6 that would fit under #4... Think Roniya's retelling of the incident with the preachers dream would capsulize it. And the short version would be that there is a failing to direct attention to all the difficult things the Lord spoke very plainly ... getting a bit ahead of myself here.

Some great replies to re-read and ponder from this.

2005/12/17 18:54Profile
tacklebox

Roanoke Rapids, NC

Re:

Wow! I love how God is using this book to stir us to action and unction! I am very glad to see that people are not just posting but reading others' posts. Too many times of message boards there is more posting than reading.

Satan has no fear of things that are born on earth. It's his dominion while the King is away. He is only referred to as the "prince" of this world, not sovreign king. Satan only fears that which is of heavenly origin, and preaching with unction (annointing) is the only kind whose words have their origin in heaven, through the Spirit.

Too many times, myself included, preaching isn't birthed in prayer but in pageantry. The fruit it produces is of the wax kind, which will melt and sizzle away when the fire of God tests it.

Again, that which has an earthly origin cannot topple the strongholds of the devil. To battle spiritually, we must preach spiritually, and this can only be done through prayer.

My prayer life is still not where it should be. I find myself praying all the time, but I lack discipline in scheduling time in prayer and prioritizing it. I let the devil burden me with business and things occupy my mind that shouldn't, not in the place of prayer.
Elijah saw a great wind shake and break mountains, but the Lord was not in it.
He ever saw fire, but the Lord was not in it.
He didn't seek God's voice in those things which the heathen for centuries call "acts of God."
He knew God's voice was not in earthly things but in "a still small voice." God SPEAKS to us through prayer. It may not be audible, for God's vocabulary transcends our understanding. The point is, we will not hear it if we listen to the rushing winds, the earthquakes, and the fires of this world.
Earthquakes were among those things which Christ said would increase in the last days, and it may be that He was meaning that in a literal way and a figurative way - that prayer will be lost to distractions and misfocus. Afterall, if true prayer ceases, what's to hold back the power and influence of the anti-christ?

2005/12/18 11:48Profile
roadsign

Re: the Prayer Closet - no room for extra baggage

Tacklebox said:

Quote:
preaching isn't birthed in prayer but in pageantry.

Those words sting, don't they! But there is a sad truth to this. This is just the way of the world, absorbed by those who claim to be the people of God.

Ravenhill said: (pg 23)

the prayer closet allows no showing off.

I think a lot of our public praying is really us talking to the people present. Without realizing it, we may become dependent on their "amens"

When our sense of righteousness requres the affirmation of others - esp the church, we will be as dry as can be in the prayer closet. It will not give us what we are clinging to. The prayer closet is where we shut out the affirmations, approvals, criticisms, values, and voices of others, and get alone with God.

It may take time and struggle to surrender our cherished ungodly trusts. But those who persevere in the prayer closet, and let God strive with them will be able to eventually hear what God has to say.
I say this, because this is what I learned through experience.
Diane

2005/12/18 13:12Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

[b]4. Is it true that "Satan has little case to fear most preaching"? Why or why not?[/b]

"NO MAN IS GREATER THEN HIS PRAYER LIFE." And with that satan shrugs at the modern day church for barely anyone is persevering at the throne of grace. Not Praying but straying, not praying but playing! the phrases can seem joviol and funny but they are not. Will it take us to experience the judgement seat to wake us out of the slumber we are in. It is a time of urgency! We have to shake the kingdom of darkness, propell into the enemies camp. Time is short.

[b]5. How does prayer changes what effort and words and cannot?[/b]

Binding and loosing and effecting the spiritual realm is dependent on our prayer life. If a minister does not pray as Ravenhill aludes to "he is playing" How can he expect any change to the people if the Lord is not in it. "Without me ye can do nothing" what part of that phrase do we not understand?

[b]6. What percentage of your prayer is done privately?[/b]

"The secret of praying is praying in secret." Private prayer is very important and the foundation of the Christian life, how many of us neglect this to our own demise and I speak this to my shame at times.

2005/12/18 19:22Profile

Re:

Quote:

roadsign wrote:
I think a lot of our public praying is really us talking to the people present. Without realizing it, we may become dependent on their "amens"

When our sense of righteousness requres the affirmation of others - esp the church, we will be as dry as can be in the prayer closet. It will not give us what we are clinging to. The prayer closet is where we shut out the affirmations, approvals, criticisms, values, and voices of others, and get alone with God.

Wow, you just put into words, Diane, what I am struggling with! That was so true what you said about praying in public. But I think it is something we must overcome! Corporate prayer is vital for a fellowship of believers. But it must be a time of praying to God and like you said, not to man.

Perhaps when we get real with God in our prayer closet then praying with others will not be any different than when we are alone. Oh to know how to really enter into the presence of God on our knees. I confess that I have much to learn.

Thanks for your comments, Diane. They are a blessing. :-)

2005/12/19 15:09

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy