Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : A Sin Greater than Sodom

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
habakkuk3

Virginia

A Sin Greater than Sodom

I just finished listening a message entitled "A Cry for New Zealand" that pastor David (Wilkerson) preached back in November and was very convicted. It's available at his website.

When we think of Sodom and think of all of the "gross" sin but he reminded of us of the primary sin of Sodom from the book of Ezekiel.

Eze 16:49 [u]Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom[/u], [b]pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters[/b], [i]neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy[/i].

Eze 16:50 And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as I saw [good].

So the real sin was a fixation on self. I pray that the Lord wakes us up before it's too late...

2005/12/14 10:52Profile
Onfire

Re: A Sin Greater than Sodom

Thanks Habukkuk that's a very important thing to remember. Many people get very busy doing what they think that God wants them to do. They create a calling and a ministry for themselves. Probably their initial intentions were very sincere, but somewhere down the line they become self-absorbed. They end up glorifying their own ministry works rather than those of Christ because people begin placing far too much attention on the work of man rather than Christ. It is easy for people in leadership positions to fall into this because people start drawing attention to the works of man, the Pastors message or whatever the case may be. This is when it's important for the person in leadership to have the spiritual maturity to step aside so that people only see Christ and not him/her as the middle person. Unfortunately, many have their self created calling go straight to their head and they really believe that they have an important place in the lives of Christ's flock.

2005/12/14 11:30Profile

Re: A Sin Greater than Sodom

I'm always struck by comparisons with Sodom and Gomorrah, because our (hypocritical?) tendency is to assume we are better........ well, are we?

Mark 6:11
And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them.

Verily I say unto you, 'It shall be [b]more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city[/b].'

Matthew 11:23, 24
And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, [b]shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day[/b]. But I say unto you, '[b]That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee[/b].'

Food for thought, I believe.

2005/12/15 4:34

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy