SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : One Hundredth Anniversary of the Incorporation of the City of Toronto

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 One Hundredth Anniversary of the Incorporation of the City of Toronto

This Order of service that my friend sent me blows me away! what a standard and desire after righteousness just over 50 years ago in the city of over 2 million where I live in Canada! What a sad state things have turned, Oh God send revival change the moral climate of the city:

-----

[b]The Order of Service of Thanksgiving and Praver
celebrating the One Hundredth Anniversary of the Incorporation of the City of Toronto[/b]
on March 6,1834 and held at the Coliseum on Monday, March 5,1934.

Keys Verses and Prayers:

Psalm 25:1,2:

"To thee, 0 Lord, I lift up my soul. 0 my God, in Thee I trust. Do not let me be ashamed; do not let my enemies exult over me."

Isaiah 60:1,2,18,21

"Arise, shine; for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord has risen upon you. For behold, darkness will cover the earth, and deep darkness the peoples, but the Lord will rise upon you, and His glory will appear upon you. Violence will not be heard again in your land, nor devastation or destruction within your borders; but you will call your walls salvation and your gates praise. Then all your people will be righteous; they will possess the land forever, the branch of My planting, the work of My hands, that I may be glorified."

Matthew 5:2-9

"And opening His mouth He began to teach them, saying,
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. Blessed are the merciful for they shall receive mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God."

Prayers Prayed

...Let us likewise pray for all municipal authorities, especially those who bear office in this city, that they may devote themselves to the common good.

Let us seek the divine pardon for the negligences and ignorances, the sins and selfishnesses of the past; let us pray that God may grant us His Guidance through the years that are to come, bestowing upon us the hearing ear and the ready will to obey His commandments.

Let us give hearty thanks to the Almighty Father, the Lover of men, for His gracious goodness vouchsafed to this our City during the hundred years of its corporate life. Let us praise Him for His gifts of the field and of the markets; for the produce of the hand of man; for protection from disease and pestilence, from war and famine.

But chiefly let us glorify His name that He has granted unto us to make progress in the things of the mind; that He has increased among us concern for the needs of others; that He has kept alight in this place a candle of the Lord, a spirit which forgets not the things eternal.

Finally, let us pray to Him that He would grant us such a sense of these His mercies that we may show forth our thanks, not only with our lips, but in our lives by giving up ourselves to His service, and by walking before Him in holiness and righteousness all our days.

These prayers and praises let us humbly offer up before the throne of Heaven in the words which Christ Himself has taught us, saying... The Our Father Prayer is said...

The Pledge to the Covenant

To maintain our allegiance to this our City
To hold unbroken the fellowship of those who labour for its perfecting
To defend it from the disgrace of cowardice and of dishonesty
To guard it from the shame of unrighteous greed and self seeking
To encourage within it the spirit of brotherly love and of kindness
To revere and observe the City's laws according to Your Laws
To hand on undimmed its best traditions
To keep the annals of our city pure and honourable
To work and pray that Toronto may become in very truth a City of God

After each one of these pledges, the people responded with:

We pledge ourselves by the help of God.

They then sang the song "The City of God".

2005/12/14 6:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy