SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Why Revival Tarries (book reading) CHAPTER ONE

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Why Revival Tarries (book reading) CHAPTER ONE

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/revivaltarries_ch1.gif[/img]

[i]Note: if you want to join in these discussions you should obtain a copy of "why revival tarries" infromation in where to obtain this book is on this thread. [/i]

[b]CHAPTER ONE[/b]

Read the first chapter of the book and then prayerfully meditate on these questions and respond as you feel led.

1. Why is prayer less attractive than many other types of ministry?

2. How are logic and zeal meaningless apart from "unction"?

3. In what way is prayer your primary means of obtaining resources to share God's truth?

2005/12/11 12:52Profile
Sir_Edward

Michigan

Re: Why Revival Tarries (book reading) CHAPTER ONE

I love this chapter. It came at the right time for me when I first read it.

Basically becasue there is no show in it. It is a humble meeting full of humble people. There is absolutely no gratification of the flesh is genuine prayer. No one will ever give you a medal for being a person of prayer -- if they do you haven't been the closet where no one can see you. It is not an attractive ministry because only God can reward you for it and will reward you for it. There is no earthly praise that will come for doing it if oyu are doing it according to 'Jesus' instruction.

Unction as Ravenhill describes it is deeep than both. Logic is of the Mind. Zeal the Heart. unction is of the Spirit and drives both. recently a lot of passion has been returning to my preaching -- not becasue ozeal or logic -- I can only describe what I am now doing as a work of unction -- it is pure Spirit. It is the only way to reach the entirity of a person for Christ/ Zeal will reach their heart, logic their mind , but unction will grab hold of the Spirit and pull them to God.

3. In what way is prayer your primary means of obtaining resources to share God's truth?

Wow! How can I begin? To Ravenhill you should not do anything without seeking God first through prayer. You can't do anything without Christ giving you strength. With prayer I would be a dead preacher giving dead sermons to dead people ;-). The Spiritual life of everything I do depends on prayer. For me after reading this book I could only think of one thing -- Get unction becasue without it everything you build for the kingdom is nothing but castles in the sand.

Blessings.

2005/12/11 21:06Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

[b]1. Why is prayer less attractive than many other types of ministry? [/b]

"the offense of prayer is that it does not essentially tie in to mental effciency. Prayer is conditioned by one thing alone and that is spirituality." The more I get involved in the area of prayer the more I am starting to realize its a high calling. It's something you just can't learn by reading books even though there is countless volumes on it. It reminds me of a phrase in one of Ravenhill's sermons about a man that was reedemed from a life of sin: "It pleased God to educate him in the spirit." The man had a prayer life and could pray in the spirit, this is something that God has to teach. "The cinderalla of the church today is the prayer meeting." Oh may that change and may the prayer meetings be the most exciting times in the church fellowships.

[b]2. How are logic and zeal meaningless apart from "unction"?[/b]

"The tragedy of this late hour is that we have too many dead men in the pulpits giving out too many dead sermons to too many dead people. Oh! the horror of it. There is a strange thing that I have seen 'under the sun,' even in the fundamentalist circles; it is preaching without unction." Unction is the ability of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer. God commands us to walk in the spirit, pray in the spirit, preach the foolishness of the gospel that we may rely on the power of God. But in our day we do all the opposites and rely on human power, logic, planning and marketing to spread and further our own gospel which is adorned with intellectualism and fancy explanations. Oh for true gospel preaching with the unction of the Spirit.

[b]3. In what way is prayer your primary means of obtaining resources to share God's truth?[/b]

"By our attitude to prayer we tell God that what was begun in the Spirit we can finish in the flesh." And how sad that truth is, we are not wanting to rely on the power of prayer, and go before God helpless saying we can't do it without you, we absolutely need you! "We may preach and perish, but we cannot pray and perish." What an encouraging word! if we seek the face of God He will hear and heal us of our backslidings and restore us and allow us to spread his truth the gospel which this generation is dying for.

2005/12/12 10:14Profile
dougkristen

Because other types of ministry are ME focused. We want the credit, we want the limelight, WE want to have the approval of men and not God. We don’t want to work as hard. Prayer is work, hard work. Also, we sometimes don't see the immediate affect of prayer as we do other ministries, such as writing a book, or preaching or anything else from prayer. We may not see any results of prayer until eternity. This is hard for our self-gratifying, fast paced culture we all live in. We want instant results and prayer takes faith and time and hard work. We need to trust God in His work about prayer and watch the life of Jesus. Prayer is hidden, other ministries are not.

I have learned that the difference is self created “energy” or enthusiasm or charisma that a person has that can mask God working through someone with unction from Him. One can look logical (smart) or zealous (charismatic) and appear Godly and a great speaker one with a message of God and one with Unction is clearly being used as a vessel for communicating God’s message through him. We need to empty ourselves of US so that we can be filled with HIM and have the unction we need to communicate God’s truths through us as He would want them communicated.

When I first read this question I did not understand it, but I see now that through prayer it is should be our only place to go for what we need to do the Work of the Kingdom. We need to first start with prayer to obtain from Him everything we need to accurately communicate God’s truths to others who don’t know Him. It should be our only way of hearing from Him specifically what and how we are to communicate the truths of God to those around us.

2005/12/12 10:54Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

[b]Why is prayer less attractive than many other types of ministry?[/b]
It requires a sacrifice of time, spiritual labor and not much recognition. It's a ministry that's behind the scenes. In addition to that, it's something the flesh isn't too thrilled about. Prayer requires not being distracted and being still before the Lord. The flesh can give us a whole list of other things we rather be doing. And prayer, most of the time, requires patience. How many of us like instant results? Probably all of us. Not all our prayers get answered right away. Some of our requests require perservering prayer, faith and most of all trust in God that He indeed hears us and is doing something with our prayers.

[b]How are logic and zeal meaningless apart from "unction"?[/b]
These verses came to mind. First, [i]"Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and depart from evil. It will be health to your flesh, and strength to your bones" (Proverbs 3:5-8).[/i] Second, [i]"'Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,' says the LORD of hosts" (Zechariah 4:6).[/i] And third, [i]"Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies" (1 Corinthians 8:1).[/i] As Leonard wrote concerning preaching, "[u]A sermon born in the head reaches the head; a sermon born in the heart reaches the heart[/u]." We can not reach people for eternity unless our trust is in God, not in our logic, our power is from the Holy Spirit, not our own inward zeal, and we have an unction that burns in our heart from the love of God that has overtaken us from the inside out.

[b]In what way is prayer your primary means of obtaining resources to share God's truth?[/b]
Well, sometimes we can ask amiss in our prayers, as James writes, and our hearts are deceitfully wicked, as Jeremiah pointed out. But through a practice of regular prayer, through honest, humble prayer, the things we ask amiss or our own hearts that deceive us can be exposed and corrected. Continual prayer will instill in us the heart and will of God for our own lives and the lives of others. And through this kind of prayer we are equipped with patience, endurance, compassion and Christ's saving love. This can help us share the truth, the truth of God, and share it in love.

2005/12/12 16:30Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Because other types of ministry are ME focused. We want the credit, we want the limelight, WE want to have the approval of men and not God. We don’t want to work as hard. Prayer is work, hard work.

Amen brother it [b]is[/b] hard work! I really like how you talked about immediate results and the work of the spirit in prayer there is a big difference. May we have godly patience to pray to God and see results when God determines. Whatever happened to prevailing prayer (a art lost in our generation).

great comments brothers.

2005/12/12 16:31Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
not much recognition

Yes, let us do violence to our pride and desire to be exalted. Oh Lord raise up servants.

2005/12/12 16:33Profile
roadsign

question

A question:
If we have other comments other than ones related to the questions that arise from our reading, can we share them?
Diane

2005/12/12 17:45Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re: question

Quote:
If we have other comments other than ones related to the questions that arise from our reading, can we share them?

Yes absolutely.

2005/12/12 17:59Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

I found a great hymn on "unction" that a dear brother posted on another site:

[b]Unction[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8548&forum=40

2005/12/12 23:07Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.