SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : A SINLESS LIFE - Is It POSSIBLE?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
moreofHim

Re: sin

Quote:
How about pride or selfishness.

yes, yes, yes! as I stated in my looong :-) reply above. No one is free from pride.

As with you Greg, I say, "Lord, have mercy on me a sinner!"

Hasn't anyone read the Valley of Vision? The Puritans readily admitted they were sinners, even though they knew and believed on God for salvation. I would rather live humbly and know my own sinful heart than think i may live in some fantasy world of perfection and think I have achieved some great thing. If anything is achieved in me, it is by God's grace alone.

In His love, Chanin

2005/12/9 11:53Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

Great topic guys,

Chanin I left out a very important piece about John Wesley. On his deathbed, he was described as having an angelic face. He was not striving to be holy in the flesh. At least not from what I've read. The tears were because his sin had dishonored God's name.

I'm very curious now and I'll see if Pastor will let me borrow the book he referenced this and if so I'll post a more precise quotation from the book.

And it's true that Wesley wasn't converted until some time after he had initially thought he was a Christian. The same was true for Rees Howells and he thought he was converted until the Holy Spirit began dealing with his heart.

God wants to eradicate all sin in our lives. What a blessing it is be convicted of my sin and then afforded the opportunity to repent. I'm so thankful that many of the brethren here on SI can see their sin. How many people who call themselves Christians cannot even see their own sin?

2005/12/9 12:03Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
yes, yes, yes! as I stated in my looong reply above. No one is free from pride.

:-) I was smiling when I posted that because I knew you would agree what major and deplorable sins those are, how can we ever be totally free from them?

But with that said truly am an advocate of santification, holiness and an surrendered life.

I was reading joshua last night and a phrase from the below passage stuck out to me:

"Nevertheless my brethren that went up with me made the heart of the people melt: but I [b]wholly followed the Lord my God.[/b] And Moses, sware on that day saying, Surely the land whereon thy feet have trodden shall be thine inheritance, and thy children's forever, because thou hast [b]wholly followed the Lord my God.[/b]" (Joshua 15:8-9).

[b]"wholly followed the Lord"[/b] What a wonderful phrase and for us to be able to say this!

Quote:
Hasn't anyone read the Valley of Vision? The Puritans readily admitted they were sinners, even though they knew and believed on God for salvation.

YES YES YES! I have this in audio form and listen to it all the time. I was playing it for a brother that was in this "sinless" state in my car and there must have been a conviction of sin, oh how those puritans really saw Christ in a beatiful way and in turn saw their sinfulness. I posted some of those prayers from the "valley of vision" on the site before.

2005/12/9 12:15Profile
moreofHim

Re: surrender vs. perfection

Quote:
But with that said truly am an advocate of santification, holiness and an surrendered life

Yes, me to. I do think that we can live our life in a totally surrendered state- though at times we try to take that back too.

As time has gone on I tend to agree with Jim Elliot:

"One does not surrender a life in an instant-- that which is lifelong can only be surrendered in a lifetime. Nor is the surrender to the will of God (per se) adequate to fullness of power in Christ. Maturity is the accomplishment of years, and I can only surrender to the will of God as I [b]know what that will is[/b]." Jim Elliot

I tend to be more of the "Refomed" thinking, I guess.

Here is a prayer for Purification from "The Valley of Vision"

Lord Jesus, I sin. Grant that I may never cease grieving because of it, never be content with myself, never think I can reach a point of perfection. Kill my envy, command my tongue, trample down self. Give me grace to be holy, kind, gentle, pure, peaceable, to live for Thee and not for self, to copy Thy words, acts, spirit, to be transformed into Thy likeness, to be consecrated wholly to Thee, to live entirely to Thy glory.

Deliver me from attachment to things unclean, from wrong associations, from the predominance of evil passions, from the sugar of sin as well as its gap; that with self-loathing, deep contrition, earnest heart searching I may come to Thee, cast myself on Thee, trust in Thee, cry to Thee, be delivered by Thee.

O God, the Eternal All, help me to know that all things are shadows, but Thou art substance, all things are quicksands, but Thou art mountain, all things are shifting, but Thou art anchor, all things are ignorance, but Thou art wisdom.

If my life is to be a crucible amid burning heat, so be it, but do Thou sit at the furnace mouth to watch the ore that nothing be lost. If I sin wilfully, grievously, tormentedly, in grace take away my mourning and give me music; remove my sackcloth and clothe me with beauty; still my sighs and fill my mouth with song, then give me summer weather as a Christian.

...and from "Resting on God":

I come to Thee as a sinner with cares and sorrows, to leave every concern entirely to Thee, every sin calling for Christ's precious blood; revive deep spirituality in my heart; let me live near to the great Shepherd, hear His voice, know its tones, follow its calls. Keep me from deception by causing me to abide in the truth, from harm by helping me to walk in the power of the Spirit. Give me intenser faith in the eternal verities, burning into me by experience the things I know; Let me never be ashamed of the truth of the gospel, that I may bear its reproach, vindicate it, see Jesus as its essence, know in it the power of the Spirit.

Lord, help me, for I am often lukewarm and chill; unbelief mars my confidence, sin makes me forget Thee. Let the weeds that grow in my soul be cut at their roots; grant me to know that I truly live only when I live to Thee, that all else is trifling. Thy presence alone can make me holy, devout, strong and happy. Abide in me, gracious God.

another pilgrim on this path of surrender, Chanin

2005/12/9 13:18Profile

Re:A Sinless Life Is It Possible?

The question was can we live a sinless life.I can tell you my experience.First let me say I have read alot of Watchman Nee and I am convinced you can live a sinless life.To live a sinless life you must basically die to self.DEAD PEOPLE CAN'T SIN. Have you ever tried to convince a corpse to sin?THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A MOMENT.If there is no self present than the devil cannot tempt you and He knows this. A mature christian does not get a little temptation set before them THEY GET THE FLOOD GATES OF HELL!This is what it means in the book of Revelation when it speaks of "the wearing out of the saints."For a mature christian in order to get you to sin the devil must first wear you out.Now about my experience.I decided that I was going to die to myself and live a sinless life-and I am still determined to this day.I died to alot during this time.Its very hard to describe because when your dead to yourself you really don't remember the temptation ever being set before you.All I knew was when I thought about some things that happened during the day that would normally make me angry I remember that they did not make me angry and there were many temptations during this time.I was spoken against by the people I loved most and accused night and day,but I kept my mouth shut and didn't utter a word.Its alot like walking on water.You really cant sit there and think to hard about who did what to you and how it didn't effect you because before long you get puffed up about it and start to sink.Thats why you cant look down at the water, you just keep walking.The further you walk the stronger in spirit you become and the little temptations the devil used to tempt you with before you were dead he cant tempt you with anymore so the temptations get stronger.And I would not call these temptations I call them FLOODS!!!Here is where the walking on water comes in.When satan puts something so great in front of you that your flesh man could NEVER handle and it doesnt phase you in the least baby your walking on water!!! You just have to keep walking,dont look down,stay on your face and in much prayer.Dont even try to skip your prayer time with God.The devil will bargain with you and tell you that all these floods will go away if you just give up.But God is greater than any flood the devil can put against you.I went 3 weeks with no known sin.The reason I use the words NO KNOWN SIN is because when your dead you cant even recall that there was a temptation.I neglected praying and grew faint.Have you ever heard David Wilkersons sermon on "A Night of Confusion"?You will face a night of confusion and wonder is this God punishing me or the Devil.And the devil will bombard you all night long but this is how your ear gets trained to the voice of God.Don't give up.If you fall get back up again!!!

2005/12/9 15:58
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Re:

Lynn5,

Here is a wonderful article that relates to much of what you are speaking of. (walking on water)
It's not very long, please take the time to read it and let me know what you think.

[url=http://www.raptureready.com/resource/murray/ab6.html]THE PRESENCE OF CHRIST by Andrew Murray[/url]

2005/12/9 16:17Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

I believe if we're following Jesus that we are constantly dying. It's a continual thing. As the fallow ground in my heart is being dug, new things pop up that I have to bring before the Lord.

Paul said I am crucified with Christ not I was crucified with Christ. It's a constant crucification. In the oft-quoted verse from Galatians "not I" the word I is ego, the self. There's a real crucification of self with Christ.

Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

So it's possible to lead a sinless life? Yes, absolutely but it's much more than not walking in known sin. That's only the beginning, at least that's been my own experience as the Holy Spirit begins to expose the hidden things of heart.

For Chanin: Here's a quote I did find on Wesley. On his deathbed Wesley whispered, "What have I to trust to for my salvation? I can see nothing which I have done or suffered that will bear looking at. I have no other plea than this: 'I the chief of sinners am, but Jesus died for me."

2005/12/9 16:29Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
As someone quoted above about asking Wesley on his deathbed if it was possible, and with tears in his eyes, he responded that he had yet to attain it. That is very sad to me. It gives me a picture of a man who strived all of his life to achieve something that was impossible this side of heaven.

Hi Chanin,
It would be sad to me too, if I believed it. I suspect this is a 'Christian urban legend'. If not, I would like some documentation, please.

2005/12/9 18:07Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
by RobertW on 2005/12/9 16:20:47

Heb. 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

Can you break down this passage for us? More specifically, is the one 'without sin' in this passage Christ or 'them that look for Him'?

I'll try but before I do I want to return to the reason I wrote in the way I did. I think the title of this topic is a mistake. It puts all the emphasis in the wrong place. I would suggest some different questions... here are the 5 (the number of grace?) questions that I think we should ask..

Is He...

“...able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,” (Jude 1:24, KJVS)

Is He...
“...he is able to succour them that are tempted.” (Heb. 2:18, KJVS)

Is He...
“...able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.”
(Heb. 7:25, KJVS)

Is He...
“...is able to make him stand.” (Rom. 14:4, KJVS)

Is He...
“...able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:” (2Cor. 9:8, KJVS)If you want a single question to encompass them all, how about...

Question: 'What does the name "Jesus" signify?'
Answer: Matt. 1:21

2005/12/9 18:22Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

Quote:
As someone quoted above about asking Wesley on his deathbed if it was possible, and with tears in his eyes, he responded that he had yet to attain it. That is very sad to me. It gives me a picture of a man who strived all of his life to achieve something that was impossible this side of heaven.

Will talk with Pastor about this Ron and provide a direct quote from whatever source he had.

EDIT: One of my brothers at our fellowship said my quote was wrong but he didn't have the source or precise quote and my pastor is out of town for the next couple of weeks.

I haven't read much about Wesley but he was not a legalist, that I do know from what I've read so Chanin I apologize if my post created the mistaken assumption that he was legalist. He believe, however, in victory over sin through the blood of Jesus.

2005/12/9 18:47Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy