SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Closing Church for Christmas?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Sir_Edward

Michigan

Re: What's wrong with closing on Christmas Day?

I will be having service -- Its about Christ not family after all anyway.

2005/12/8 22:56Profile
Onfire

Re: Home church

I keep reading that Sunday is a day that Christians have set aside to worship God. That's true it is; however, is it what Christ set aside?

What He expects out of worship is to do it in Spirit and in Truth. We worship Him by the way we live our life. If we're so tied to the dogma of our denominational affiliation how can we understand that worship is all the time not a specific time in the week.

On the first day of the week they got together to break bread. Standards for performing religious observances have been set in stone from simple scripture like this.

On the other side of the coin. Instead of running and shutting ourselves in to a building on Sunday morning and expect others to come to us, why don't we do like Christ did and go to them? We could spend that time with unbelieving family members and they may in fact be open to hearing the gospel seeing as it is Christmas. There's so many ways that we could influence others with the wonderful message of Christ rather than go and take care of ourselves. God must feel worshipped as we share with others in the way He had done.

On Christmas day instead of going to the Temple, let's go to the well.

2005/12/9 10:26Profile
roadsign

Re: What would Christ want?

Onfire said:

Quote:
Instead of running and shutting ourselves in to a building on Sunday morning and expect others to come to us, why don't we do like Christ did and go to them?

and
Quote:
On Christmas day instead of going to the Temple, let's go to the well.

Well put!!! I suspect that your words express the heart of Christ.
Diane

2005/12/9 11:27Profile
Randilover

Quote:

roadsign wrote:
I assume that these church are having a Christmas Eve Service. From my experience that is a very well attended service - one of the best in the year.
So, I don't see why it would be so necessary to have one again the next morning.

Well put. It seems really legalistic and prideful to denounce a church because they are closed on Christmas. If you are going, so be it, but don't condemn the others. That reeks of offense against Romans 14. Diane has it right, 99% of those churches will be celebrating Christmas the night before anyway.
Quote:

roadsign wrote:
My church is going to have a service for the few who will attend. That tells absolutely nothing about their spiritual condition.
Diane

Exactly. Revival does not come from church going, church going comes from revival. The cornerstone of revival is prayer, not church attendence.

2005/12/9 12:09Profile
richlite

I read one church spokesperson say that since Christmas was about family that they were justified in closing worship on Christmas sunday. Hmmmm... what about Mother's Day? New Years Day? Or even Easter has turned into a family day with all the massive Easter egg hunts that churches do? What is July 4th lands on a Sunday? Does that qualify too? From where I live, I see most people viewing Sunday AS a family day. So using the "logic" of some of these megachurches, soon we can all stay home with our families on Sunday!

Another thought. Christians have historically decried the "secularization" and "commercialization" of Christmas. But with the like of these "successful" megachurches shutting down, I can hear the liberals and the media and even a few district school board officials saying, "Ha! You guys don't honor your Savior's birthday anymore than we do!"

Final thought: The substitution of massive Christmas plays for Sunday worship only underlines the fact that these churches believe entertainment is how the masses will be won to Christ. Thousands of dollars will be spent on lighting, special effects, top notch singers, and the like. But I doubt its effectiveness. Anyone who comes to Christ after one of these events would likely have come to Christ in a humble church service where the people were worshipping God and hearing the Word preached accurately. All that effort, all those hours of practicing the play, all the trouble of putting it all together... and for what? Entertainment.

One of these churches is a "seeker-friendly" church. That means they are more about reaching the unchurched than the churched. Ok. Then they shouldn't call themselves a church. A church by definition is a gathering of belivers for the purpose of worship, prayer, preaching and fellowship. If they don't "do church" then it is alright for them not to be open on Sunday, Christmas or not!

As for us, we are having church that Sunday. Why? Because its SUNDAY !

2005/12/9 22:18Profile
roadsign

Re: Fellowship

Welcome, Richlite, It looks like you have just joined us here. That's great! Thank you for sharing your concerns about the modern day church. That is a common concern here. You said:

Quote:
A church by definition is a gathering of belivers for the purpose of worship, prayer, preaching and fellowship.

I share a few more thoughts about fellowship here, including some thoughts about broken fellowship:
[url=http://www.thewayback.net/articles/fellowship.htm]Forsake not the Fellowship[/url]
It is not really about the issue of closing religious institutions on Dec. 26, but hopefully it helps us keep our concerns in the right place.
Diane

2005/12/9 22:35Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy