SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : body, soul, and spirit

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Graftedbranc

Re:

Quote:
Do we have a Spirit that is in union with God's Spirit, much like a husband and wife become one flesh? Or did God put His Spirit into us, meaning that our Spirit is God's Spirit?

We have both. Our spirit is in union with God's Spirit but not like a husband and wife because they do not have the capacity to coninhere or "mutually indwell" one another.

Our spirit is in union with God's Spirit in the way that Tea is mingled with water to become one cup of tea.

God's Spirit indwells our spirit. His Spirit resides in our spirit. His Spirit does not replace our spirit but we become "one spirit" as a husband and wife are One but in a deeper way and in the way of coninherence.

That our two spirit's (God's and our spirit) are distinct is seen specifically in Romans 8:17 "The Spirit Himself (God's Spirit) witnesses with our spirit that we are children of God.

When we are saved and regenerated our dead human spirit is resurrected and indwelt by the Divine Spirit so that we become one entity with two elements, the human and the Divine.

God dwells in us and we dwell in God. Jesus in John 14 said, "In that day (when the Spirit comes) you will know that I am in My Father and you are in Me and I am in you.

This is coinherence. We dwell in God and He dwells in us. And just as Christ as a man lived by the Life of His Father who was in Him. So we who partake of Christ live by His LIfe who is within us, dwelling in our spirit.

Zacheriah says, "God streached forth the heavens and laid the foundation of the earth and formed the spirit of man within him. This is our human spirit. Our spirit is dead because of the fall. Adam had a human spirit but never had the divine Life within him because he never ate of the Tree of Life. But when he fell his spirit died and man became soulish, living by his own independant human Life apart from the Life of God.

Today, when we beleive into Christ. our dead human spirit is resurrected and we are indwelt by the Spirit of the Crucified and resurrected Christ.

I believe it is in Isiaih speaking of the New covenant it say, "a new spirit I will put in him and My Spirit I will put in him. These are two separate things.

God renews our dead spirit and puts His Spirit within us. Our spirit is where He is.

Graftedbranch

2006/1/4 17:54Profile
Graftedbranc

Re:

Quote:
It does sound right to me that the word spirit in body, soul, and spirit is a noun. With the word Spirit being put in us I see the word being a noun also. With the word Spirit being in us I also think of being quickened and having action within our lives to do God's desires through us and this being a verb. With that word Spirit being in us I think of us having his desire and doing his will and the word spirit being a verb also.

Brother Gary,

In Thessalonians Paul says, "May your entire spirit and soul and body be preserved..." These three are nouns.

In Hebrews 4 we are told that "the Word of God is living and active and sharper than any two edged sword dividing asunder soul and spirit, both joints and marrow able to dicern the thoughts and intentions of the heart...

In this verse we are shown exactly first that spirit is used a a noun, not a verb and that it is comparable to the marrow of the joint.

That is the soul is the joint and the spirit is the marrow. The Word divides the soul from the spirit like the priest's knife divides the joint from the marrow.

Our spirit though the fall is deadened and is atrophied and we live by our soul life. But when we are regenerated our spirit is made alive and indwelt by the Divine Spirit. Through the Word the Spirit divides within us what is of our natural soulish nature and what is of the spirit so that practically we dicern our soul from our spirit which is our innermost being where the Spirit of God dwells.

In secular terms we speak of having "spirit" meaning being animated, etc. But in the scritpures spirit is used as a noun speaking of our internal inner organ which is akin to God in nature and which is the place of His indwelling when we believe into Christ.

Graftedbranch

2006/1/4 18:05Profile
GaryE

Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

Re:

Dear Graftedbranch,

Yes, the word spirit or Spirit translated from Strongs number 4151 Pnyoo'-mah is translated as a noun whether used to speak of the spirit in man, or a spirit from the enemy, or the Spirit from God.

Kenneth S Wuest in his Word Studies in the Greek New Testament says that it is not the dividing apart Soul and Spirit from one another, rather it is the piercing of or into the Soul and Spirit separately. I've always understood it to mean what you stated though.

In either case, the Word is that what pierces soul and spirit or divides soul and spirit and the goal in doing this appears to cause us to labor to enter that rest and boldly enter the throne of grace. Laboring and entering are verbs. Maybe this is partly why I tend to think of spirit being and action word.

I appreciate everyones posts on this subject.

In Christ,
GaryE

2006/1/5 0:48Profile

Re: body soul and spirit

Quote:
In secular terms we speak of having "spirit" meaning being animated,

This is THE vital meaning of spirit. The spirit enlivens the body and the soul. Yes 'spirit' is a noun. The instrinsic [i]characteristic quality[/i] of this entity is that it is capable of ministering life to our inanimate dust.

At the Fall, it's instincts were turned from open fellowship with God and life, to secret fellowship with sinfulness and death. This is how it is that people find 'fellowship' with other spirits through selfish pursuits, spiritism, mediums and the worship of created things or beings.... their spirits are only dead in the sense of not being eligible for God's presence any more - unless through the blood of the Lamb 1 John 1:7.

Quote:
Our spirit though the fall is deadened and is atrophied and we live by our soul life.

Our soul life is what experiences these other forms of 'fellowship' - by default, no matter (sometimes) how we try to cut ourselves off from them. It's only with the Holy Spirit comes to the individual and makes the death of Christ take [i]effect[/i] in that person's life, that we begin to experience freedom from the old forms of fellowship - which [i]of course[/i] we must consciously renounce.

It is the Holy Spirit who works in our [i]flesh[/i] to bring forth the life of the Son of God - to nurture the incorruptible Seed which we have received at new birth. By this, our soul is saved alive when it departs from the body.

2006/1/5 9:30
Graftedbranc

Re:

Quote:
This is THE vital meaning of spirit. The spirit enlivens the body and the soul. Yes 'spirit' is a noun. The instrinsic characteristic quality of this entity is that it is capable of ministering life to our inanimate dust.

I like this word. But our soul has it's own life. Our soul life. Jesus said, "unless a man deny his soul life, take up his cross and follow Me he cannot be My deciple. For whoever will save his soul life shall lose it...

Our soul life is just our natural life which is our soul, and it is an independant life from God. And this soul life is centered in Self. It relies on itself and expresses itself. All the powers of the soul are animated by Self. And all it can do is cultivate itself and express itself.

Our soul life came to be through Adam's partaking of the tree of the knowlege of good and evil. Adam in partaking of it became an independant man living by his own fallen corrupted self centered life. And his spirit died "in the day you eat of it, you shall surely die".

Every man has a spirit but it is dead and disfunctional. Man does not live by his dead spirit but by his soul life. He lives by his mind, his will, and his emotions. He has no capacity to know and express God because He is devoid of the Life of God.

There are some in the various religions who tap into their spirit by asacetism and other practices but their spirit is deviod of the life of God.

IT is only by redemption and regeneration that our spirit is made alive. And only by the Divine Life being imparted into our regenerated spirit are we made sons of God with His Life and Nature.

And even after we are regenerated, because we have lived our whole life by our own soul, we continue to try to live the Christian Life and serve God by our natural soul life. We need daily the sanctifying Word which is living and active... to divide our soul from our spirit.

Paul told the Corinthians that "the soulish man does not recieve the things of the Spirit of God..." God's way of leading us on is to apply the cross to our soul life and to strengthen us into our inner man that we may learn to deny our soul life and be strong in spirit to live by our spirit .

The Spirit in our spirit transforms us and applies the liberating death of Christ to our soul life and enables us to live by the Life of God in our spirit.

Graftedbranch

2006/1/5 12:22Profile

Re: body, soul, spirit

Quote:
But our soul has it's own life.

Not exactly. All of us have only one 'life'.

The life of your soul is a function of the life of your body, which is en[u]live[/u]ned by your spirit.

The mention of dividing between soul and spirit, is true, yes, but, it is a poetic way of saying that by His word, God can [i]pinpoint[/i] exactly what He wants in us. The scripture is not saying that God [i]wants[/i] to separate our soul and spirit!! The reverse is true, rather, that He [i]wants[/i] to make us WHOLE.

Matthew 13:33
Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.

If ever there was a picture of the inseparability of ingredients, it is this one - of bread-making. Yet, Jesus also said 'the kingdom [i]of God[/i] is within you.

Unless we embrace the truth that our inner man is [u]essentially[/u] linked to our outer man (and now supposed to dominate the choices of our outer man), we will continue battling with feelings, thoughts, emotions, desires, ambitions - a whole battery of conflicting abstract tugs and pulls - when all that is necessary is for us to accept there can be a total integration of our body, soul and spirit, as we walk (literally, with our physical body) in the Holy Spirit, (therefore [i]not[/i] fulfilling the lusts of the flesh - carnality), and thereby obeying (satisfying) the will of our Father in heaven. This is a wholeness in which the tripartite nature of man is not questioned, undermined, countered or resisted... rather, it is completed.

2006/1/5 15:29
Graftedbranc

Re:

Quote:
Unless we embrace the truth that our inner man is essentially linked to our outer man (and now supposed to dominate the choices of our outer man), we will continue battling with feelings, thoughts, emotions, desires, ambitions - a whole battery of conflicting abstract tugs and pulls - when all that is necessary is for us to accept there can be a total integration of our body, soul and spirit, as we walk (literally, with our physical body) in the Holy Spirit, (therefore not fulfilling the lusts of the flesh - carnality), and thereby obeying (satisfying) the will of our Father in heaven. This is a wholeness in which the tripartite nature of man is not questioned, undermined, countered or resisted... rather, it is completed.

Unfortunately this is not the picture we have in the revelation of Scripture, nor is it the testimony of the Saints throughout all of church history.

Sister, this is not my opinion, it is the Word of God and the teaching of the Apostles.

We do intdeed have two lives. Our natural soul Life which we must deny, and the Life of God in our regenerated spirit. And the whole process of sanctification and growth is the process of the application of the Cross to our natural fallen Life and the infusion of the Resurrection Life of Christ transforming us, renewing us, and forming Christ within us. This alone is the New Testament revelation.

Romans 8 lays it out for us. Our spirit is life because of rightousness, our soul is being renewed and transformed daily, and our body will be transfigured at Christ's comming.

Until our bodies are transformed, they will remain a "body of sin and death" though we can, by the Spirit put to death the deeds of the body, and bring our bodies into subjection and enjoy the Lord's victorious resurrection Life. Our bodies will never be one with our spirit in this life, but always be the seat of the warfare which is waged between the flesh and the spirit.

Romans 8:10,11 "But if Christ is in you,, though the body is dead because of sin, the spirit is life because of rightousness. And if the Spirit of the One who raised up Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He will also give life to your mortal bodies through this same Spirit who indwells you."

Romans 8:23 "And not only so, but we ourselves also, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan in ourselves, eagerly awaiting sonship, the redemption of our bodies"

Graftedbranch.

2006/1/5 16:07Profile
GodsDreamer

Re:

What a very true and wonderful encouraging word... keep it coming!

2006/1/5 16:09Profile

Re: body, soul and spirit

Quote:
Our bodies will never be one with our spirit in this life, but always be the seat of the warfare which is waged between the flesh and the spirit.

This is a defeatest stance, is it not? If your body was dead, it wouldn't be warring against the spirit.... which is exactly Paul's point.

Romans 8:10,11 "But if Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, the spirit is life because of rightousness. And if the Spirit of the One who raised up Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He will also give life to your mortal bodies through this same Spirit who indwells you."

My point is, this is not theory. This is fact. The spirit enlivens the flesh (body) without re-awakening 'sin', [i][b]if[/b][/i] the death of Christ has been [u]truly embraced at a spiritual level[/u].

After that, the body is free to pursue righteousness - under the control of the Holy Spirit.

2006/1/5 16:32

Re: body, soul, spirit

The reason I chose the three measures of meal, is that it represents man....

and there can be no clearer word from the mouth of Jesus Himself, endorsing the truth of the integration of the life of the Spirit, into the body, inseparably. The human spirit is thus given the abundant life He promised in John 10.

2006/1/5 16:36

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy