Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Welcome & Intro : Introduction

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Alexis

Cyprus

Introduction

Hi everyone,

I've been asked to introduce myself in this section so here it goes...

I'm from Cyprus (an island under Turkey) and I'm currently in my final (third) year of a Computer Science degree at Warwick University in the UK. At the age of 19 I joined the military for two years. God used that time in the army to draw me closer to Himself and so I ended up crying out to God for deliverance. He shortened my military service from 26 months to 18 months and provided me with a church to go to during those 8 months of spare time I had before coming to University. I feel like those were my first steps to really getting to know the Lord.

I'm about to finish my course in June and I'm still at a stage were I'm not too sure what I'll be doing or where I'll be going after I finish my degree. I've felt a calling from the Lord and am looking into the possibility of doing a bible course either full-time or part-time together with a full time job hence I posted a thread in the 'Lounge' forum asking for some advice. I found this site through a link at www.biblebased.co.uk which a brother from the church I go to in Cyprus recommended.

In Christ,
Alex

2003/11/25 4:27Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Introduction

Hi Alex
Good to have you with us.
What part of Cyprus do you come from? The recommender wasn't John Photiades by any chance?

2003/11/25 4:37Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: great to meet you

Quote:
I'm from Cyprus (an island under Turkey) and I'm currently in my final (third) year of a Computer Science degree at Warwick University in the UK.

Great to meet you Alex. I know the Lord will lead you to the right Bible School, at first look by the peoples responses there is alot of great options. for other people wondering here is the thread you mentioned:
[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=803&forum=35]Bible/Theological Courses[/url]

2003/11/25 11:14Profile
Trish

Virginia

Re: Introduction

Hi Alex:
Nice to meet you. What part of Cyprus are you from? I was there last year and fell in love with the beauty. You are blessed.

God bless you.
Trish

2003/11/25 17:15Profile
Alexis

Cyprus

Re:

Hi,

I'm from the greek part of Nicosia, the capital city. I've lived there all my life. It's quite an exciting time in Cyprus right now because they are trying to resolve the conflict between the Greek and Turkish parts of the island and have already opened the border for people from both sides to commute. The elections on the Turkish side in mid-December should make a difference on how things will eventually turn out if the opposition party wins. It would be good for Christian brothers and sisters to meet from both sides.

John is an elder at the church I go to in Nicosia. Chris Michael, who also goes to that church told me about biblebased. Unfortunately there is no broadband internet in Cyprus and it's costly to download big files. So I managed to mirror the website onto two cd's and send it over.

2003/11/26 13:56Profile
todd

California

Re:

Alexis,
Good to have you here. I am assuming you are fluent in Greek. I am wondering what your thoughts are on Spiros Zodhaites and his work (if you know who he is). I have heard various arguments about the quality of his work. THings like he uses modern Greek but not Alexandrian which was different so it's not as accurate and stuff like that. Have you anything to say about it?

2003/11/26 20:15Profile
Alexis

Cyprus

Re:

Sorry, I've heard of the author but I haven't read any of his books.

I don't think the Greek used in the NT is very different from modern greek. Here is a good website which talks a bit about the history of the language...
http://www.translexis.demon.co.uk/new_page_2.htm

2003/11/27 11:41Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Thanks Alexis
Here's another site that says less about modern Greek but makes the contrast with NT Greek.
BTW I preached in the church in Nicosea in the Spring of 2002, would you have been there at the meal afterwards?

2003/11/29 16:57Profile
Alexis

Cyprus

Re:

Hi Ron,

I was in England during that period. I usually go back to Cyprus for Christmas and the summer but I stay over in England for easter to do some studying for my final year exams. May be I can come and visit some time in Reading.

2003/12/5 13:10Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy