SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What happens to us after death?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Truthstands

What happens to us after death?

What happens to us (Christians) after we die? This is perhaps a very important question that many Bible teachers and theologians have been debating about.

There are two schools of thought regarding the intermediate stage.

1. After we die, we go to be with the Lord immediately.

2. Our Soul sleeps in a place called Sheol. And we will wait there until the resurrection. You can read more about this view.

[url=http://www.bereanbiblechurch.in/messages/sunday/afterdeath.htm]What happens to the brethren when they die?[/url]
[url=http://www.bereanbiblechurch.in/messages/sunday/sheolobjectionsanswered.htm]Objections Answered Concerning The Intermediate State In Sheol[/url]

Thanks

2005/12/4 4:02Profile
worzle

Re: What happens to us after death?

Luke 23:43:

And he said to him, "Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise."

--

I heard a guy called David Pawson speak on this saying paradise literally meant "palace garden" rather than 'heaven'.

2005/12/4 9:13Profile
Onfire

Hi Truthstands,

This is an interesting post.

Thought is that when God was with us in the flesh He plainly said the Kingdom of Heaven/God is at hand. Christ by coming to earth and eventually atoning for our separation from Him ushered in the Kingdom of Heaven. The moment that we exercise our faith in Him as our Lord and Saviour, [let's separate that from mere belief], we are in the Kingdom of Heaven. That means that Heaven begins for us now because we are spiritual beings and eternal life begins for us even now while our souls remain for temporarily with a human body.

When our human bodies give up if we have chosen to exercise our faith in Christ and have been made children of God abiding in His family in the Kingdom of Heaven we will continue spiritually with Him. However, Shoel as indicated also by the word Hell means perish. The wages of sin is death. If we do not walk by faith in Him we are separated from Him and thus our souls will perish. They will not go to a place of eternal punishment, but they will cease to exist. There is no way that a loving God will punish people forever for not choosing Him. It will be exactly as scripture said, that whoever should believe would not perish.

The idea of a place of burning comes from the garbage pit outside the walls of Jerusalem. This was also a place where pagans sacrificed people. Scripture uses that as an allegory to the fact that we do not want our life to end up in ruin. However, people unfortunately have turned it into a literal place.

Either Satan is destroyed by God or he is not. I believe scripture states that he will be destroyed. If that is the case there would be no reason for God to destroy Satan while eternally punishing those who did not choose Him by faith.

So for followers of Christ it is not as important where we go after we die as where we are now. If we are part of the Kingdom of Heaven now, we will continue as such. If the fruit of the Spirit is not present now, if we do not walk by faith, if we believe man's doctrines more than the truth of God than we are not part of the Kingdom of Heaven now. We can answer those questions about the hereafter for ourselves, here and now. Our sould goes from being attached to a human body to existing with God spiritually as He exists spiritually. If we do not walk by faith where we think we do or not our soul will perish.

2005/12/4 10:17Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Hi Truthstands...!

Quote:

Actually, I believe that there are more than just [u]two[/u] schools of thought. There are several subdivisions of this discussion, like questions concerning [u]how many[/u] "judgment days" there are, and [u]when[/u] will we face judgment. This has been discussed extensively in previous threads, but it is always an interesting discussion.

Here is a link to one that was quite interesting:
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6743&forum=36#50829

Since that one is old (and dealt more with [i]judgment[/i]), I am interested and reading responses in this one!

:-)

2005/12/4 11:20Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

What happens to us after death?

Quote:
Psa 116:15 Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.

One perspective.

2005/12/4 13:30Profile
Graftedbranc

Quote:

I think it is instructive that Paul in second Corinthians when speaking of His being "caught away, whether in the body or out of the body...", He speaks of two separate events. In one he says, "I was caught away to the third heaven. And again he says, "I was caught away into Paradise".

If Paradise and heaven were identical, there would not be this distinction in Paul's testimony.

Graftedbranch

2005/12/5 21:53Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

The distinctions between Paradise, Gehenna, Hades/Sheol were discussed very recently in the following thread:

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8012&forum=36&7]Gehenna and Hades[/url]

A preliminary observation is that the [b]intermediate state[/b] of human existence is never discussed in detail in the scriptures. The concern has always been the [b]resurrection[/b] after this state.

We should probably pay more attention to what the scriptures emphasise rather than venture into too much speculation.

Anyways, check out the above link for my views.

2005/12/6 0:21Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
by Graftedbranc on 2005/12/6 2:53:30
I think it is instructive that Paul in second Corinthians when speaking of His being "caught away, whether in the body or out of the body...", He speaks of two separate events. In one he says, "I was caught away to the third heaven. And again he says, "I was caught away into Paradise".

If Paradise and heaven were identical, there would not be this distinction in Paul's testimony.

This is not true. In fact, it would just be a typical Hebrew [url=http://www.cresourcei.org/parallel.html]"synonymous parallelism"[/url] of which there are probably hundreds in the scripture. You will see how misplaced your logic is by examining:“Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.” (Zech. 9:9, KJVS)According to your logic, this would have become a circus trick with two separate animals being ridden at the same time.

2005/12/8 17:44Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

2Cr 5:8 We are confident, [I say], and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Here is the 1 remaining inexact match:

2Cr 5:6 Therefore [we are] always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:

2Cr 4:14 Knowing that he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall present [us] with you.

Jesus will never leave us or forsake us. The Holy Spirit is in us forever. They cannot deny Themselves, we are in Them and Them in us and including the Father who's Abode is with us. Spirit and Soul are alive unto God now and forever. The only remaining task is for an everlasting body glorified on resurrection morning which we no not what it shall be, but we know it will be like His Glorious Body. Amen.

In Christ: Phillip

2005/12/9 23:05Profile
jimbob

Re:

“Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.” (Zech. 9:9, KJVS)

Ron, the real trick here is riding these two colts at the same time to the two different places!

2005/12/10 0:50Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy