SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Narnia series

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe...

Well, I've just come back from seeing the film and am still musing. There are many more parallels in the words spoken by characters, and a great deal of visual stuff which is disturbing enough and not at all like the Bible.

Audiences here have been advised not to take an under 10 to see it and I'd endorse that, simply because there's no doubt I will be thinking about it for a long time, and having had nightmares myself for many years, it's an avoidable trauma for those who are vulnerable.

As I didn't understand the story when I read the book, I am grateful to the film for explaining it to me in simple language.... that's my limit.

I thought it was well acted and the voices are excellent. Even the 'English' jokes are bearable.... as long as they don't enter the norm of every household. (That would be bad....)

2005/12/9 12:51
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

Hey Randilover,
We humans do posses a way of creating whole worlds in our heads do we? :-) (wheter good or bad)
I do have a lively imagination too.

I haven't read the 'Screwtape letters' or 'Lord Foulgrin's letters', but it seems like a nice book to read. I really enjoyed 'Edge of eternity' from Randy.

Quote:
Randilover wrote:
I wrote already about the “magic” in Tolkein’s work, so I will not say much more other than you should read (at least a little) to get the context of how it’s used (or find a resource that explains it, there has to be a plethora of websites on the subject). It is light years different than Harry Potter, if for no other reason than it is total fiction where what Potter is made of is based (from what I’ve read) on actual modern day witchcraft practices. Also, as far as Narnia is concerned, off the top of my head, except for one part of the story, whenever magic is used, it has negative consequences.

BTW, did you read Alcorn’s book, the name escapes me, of the two demon’s writing to each other. It’s based on Lewis Screwtape letters. It’s a level down from Lewis’ original, but it was an ok read.

2005/12/10 7:53Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

Hey Dorcas,

Isn't the Bible as visual as you picture it infront of you? :-D
Ever wondered what it would have looked like when David ran away from Saul with a gigantic sword strapped on his back, pretending that he was a lunatic when he got to Gat?

Quote:
Dorcas wrote:
Well, I've just come back from seeing the film and am still musing. There are many more parallels in the words spoken by characters, and a great deal of visual stuff which is disturbing enough and not at all like the Bible.

2005/12/10 8:07Profile

Re: Narnia series

Quote:
Isn't the Bible as visual as you picture it infront of you?

I'd say it's a completely different thing to imagine pictures to go with the words which God has allowed to be presented to us in scripture, than it is to see someone else's visualisation of a narrative.

[b]Deuteronomy 28:34
So that thou shalt be mad for the sight of thine eyes which thou shalt see[/b].

Generally, a person reading will automatically [i]not[/i] imagine scenes which he or she knows will be distressing. Alternatively, some people seek out certain narratives, because it gives them an excuse to create pictures on which to dwell - which may not be healthy.

When I'm reading scripture, the pictures I get don't strike my physical eyes, they strike my spirit as the Lord brings them to me. Watching a film is a completely different activity.

2005/12/10 8:22
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

I have to agree there. :-)

Quote:
Dorcas wrote:
I'd say it's a completely different thing to imagine pictures to go with the words which God has allowed to be presented to us in scripture, than it is to see someone else's visualisation of a narrative.

Amen to that!

Quote:
When I'm reading scripture, the pictures I get don't strike my physical eyes, they strike my spirit as the Lord brings them to me. Watching a film is a completely different activity.

2005/12/10 10:33Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

brethren

Quote:
Isn't the Bible as visual as you picture it infront of you?

as the Lord leads me through scripture, the more i find that indeed scripture is very literal. when i am lead through the revelation let's say and there are these fantastic discriptions of beasts and such i realize that John really did see those things, we may not but in the Spirit realm scripture is literal.

2005/12/10 12:26Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Psa 119:37 Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity; [and] quicken thou me in thy way.

I have a question. Should a Christian meditate on things that are not real and have no way of being real?

2005/12/12 10:12Profile

Re: I have a question

Depends whether you think the characters Jesus put in His stories were real or fictional.

2005/12/12 10:23
Randilover

Re:

Quote:

PreachParsly wrote:
Psa 119:37 Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity; [and] quicken thou me in thy way.

I have a question. Should a Christian meditate on things that are not real and have no way of being real?

Depsnds on what you mean by "no way of being real."
As it relates to this topic of Narnia, I'd say yes, and it can be quite beneficial. As far as other things like a fantasy to escapre reality, no. That cna be generally a problem.

2005/12/12 10:33Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

What spured that question is this quote I read today:

"I have loved the Narnia books since the first time I read them because I saw the merging of a fantasy world with the story of my faith" -Senior Pastor Bob DeGray of Friendswood's Trinity Fellowship Church.

What come to mind is "how good is 'fantasy?'"

2005/12/12 10:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy