Discussion Forum : General Topics : The often Overlooked Old Testament

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Miles

The often Overlooked Old Testament

I pulled this down from the AOG daily thought for the Day

The Whole Bible

Read Jeremiah 40:1 through 42:22; 2 Timothy 3:1–17

From infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus (2 Timothy 3:15).

The apostle Paul wrote these words to a young minister that he mentored and loved as a son. Timothy’s mother was a Jew, and apparently she made sure her son was given a firm foundation through exposure to the Law and the Prophets, our Old Testament.

The New Testament we have today was not yet recognized as Scripture or even complete when Paul wrote to Timothy. The Scriptures that could make one “wise for salvation” that Paul was referring to was the Old Testament.

Sometimes Christians bypass Old Testament books as though they have little importance for today. However, these books point to Christ and His salvation. Having a solid Old Testament foundation paves the way for a better understanding of the New.

How is your knowledge of the Old Testament? Do you know what it has to say about Christ? Have you searched the prophets in order to apply their wisdom and truths to your walk with God?

2005/12/2 2:04Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: The often Overlooked Old Testament

I love the OT.

One time when I was reading the writings of the apostles and was puzzled at what seemed to be redundancy. Then I realized the writers were jewish men writing from a Jewish perspective. So, if I wanted to understand better I needed to study the OT so I could think like a Jew, then perhaps I could understand Jesus mission better.

So, I read the OT (it helped that I loved history) thoroughly, even the book of Numbers. After a while I clearly saw how it illuminates the NT beautifully! The conclusions I arrived at mirrored the NT writers!!! Awesome! Today I love the prophets, Isaiah being my favorite. The concept these sermons taught are as fresh for today as when they were written. (Of course I know many were for a particular time and location, but consider the contributing culture which evoked God's response, and you will quickly see 'there is nothing new under the sun'.)

The OT language is rich, especially Bro. Isaiah's writings. For some reason I imagine him always with a twinkle in his eye - now that he is with the LORD.

This is my testimony concerning the OT.

ginnyrose

2005/12/2 9:28Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Yes!

Well said Ginnyrose and glad to see this brought up. It's quite interesting how after awhile the 'division' which breaks the two in this sort of weird contrasting that we are apt to do... Maybe what I am trying to say is already codified in your words:

Quote:
The concept these sermons taught are as fresh for today as when they were written. (Of course I know many were for a particular time and location, but consider the contributing culture which evoked God's response, and you will quickly see 'there is nothing new under the sun'.)

With that is the blending and blurring of one full, whole revelation of Gods articulation. The 'canon' canonizes itself, explains itself, reveals itself. The expressions of the heart are not new or old... yes, after awhile that whole aspect just fades, the covenants not withstanding that whole line of thought just goes away after awhile.

Indeed it is rich! Was back in Genesis and Ezekiel this morning as I was attempting to write out these compulsion of the heart, along the lines of prayer, that were prayer and ... I was off and running, thoughts expressing more thoughts and more questions and musing, guttural things, incredible but simple 'revelations' that I had never considered before...

Goodness, and to think there is a thread up of late regarding preachers stealing sermons when there is a vault of treasure right before their very eyes... I digress, all I had started out with was a word. Tension. Borne out of prayer and attempting to articulate that in writing ... it's all over the place, just got lost in it. The riches we hold in our hands...

2005/12/2 10:29Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Amen, brother!

Since the entire Bible is rich I wonder why spend so much time reading other writings? Oh, I do read some but it ain't nuthin' like the original. Similar to eating a freshly cooked meal vs last weeks left overs! :-)

ginnyrose

2005/12/2 18:17Profile
roadsign

Re: chew our own food

We are a culture that likes processed foods. So why would it be any different with spiritual food. If someone has done all the processing - the hard thinking and searching, then why not lean on them? However, nothing can replace our need to "chew our own food" - and take ownership of our faith.

Does anyone know how much of the OT is in the NT? If all the OT references were removed from the NT, I suspect that we wouldn't have much of a NT.
Diane

2005/12/2 19:19Profile
Sir_Edward

Michigan

Re:

2 Timothy 3:16-17:
[b]All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.[/b]

I wonder why so mnay people have trouble with this NT verse becasue it does say that the OT is this too. All Scripture being the oT as well as the NT. In fact at the time a lot of the NT hadn't been put to paper when Paul said this.

In the OT I see Christ everywhere as well as the holiness, righteousness and mercy of God.

Blessings.

2005/12/2 19:36Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

You'll never even remotely understand the New Testament without the Old Testament. People often try to, and enter into gross misunderstandings as a result. We need to dig around a lot more in the OT. I think it is especially important to mine around in Isaiah, the Psalms, Deuteronomy, and Genesis. For such books are constantly quoted by Christ and the apostles.

It might sound blasphemous to some, but frankly, there are times in which the NT just bores me. At such times, I just go and sit in the OT for a while. Once I recently read each of the minor prophetical books several times in a row. Granted, that can get a little dry too, but I think it is well worth it.

Also, sometimes I think we are so consumed with trying to discern the various nuances in the NT that we often fail to even try to get a good grasp of what is going on in the OT. Granted, there is much more material to attempt to grasp in the OT, but, for all the more reason, we should attempt to grasp it.

Granted, sometimes reading the OT is like looking for a needle in a haystack, and we are tempted to just go for the more juicy NT stuff. But when we realize that much of the NT is simply a sort of commentary on the OT in light of Christ, you see that we are essentially reading Paul's homework assignment when we read his epistles. You are essentially reading pre-chewed food.

2005/12/2 21:56Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy