· Text Sermons
    Christian Books
    Online Bibles
· Video Sermons
· Vintage Images
· Discussion Forum
· Help Support
· Contact Us

Share SI with others - Add a website link or image banner on your website or blog.

Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Revival Quotes

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Revival Quotes

[b]Revival Quotes[/b]

Definitions

Revival is an extraordinary work of the Holy Spirit producing extraordinary results....... The re-entry of Christ's manifest presence - Richard Owen Roberts

Christ showing up in an extraordinarily powerful new way, to significantly overthrow the status quo and establish the claims of His kingdom afresh - Steve Hawthorne

Revival is war between the Spirit and the Devil - Dr. J. Edwin Orr

In revival there is a fresh focus on Christ's person (who He is to us, especially His character as God's Son) and on His passion (who He is for us, especially in His death, resurrection, and ascension). As a result, we experience together in new ways the fullness of Christ's life over us (as He rules over us as Lord and Head of the church) and in us (as He indwells us with His resurrection power). All of this presses us into new involvements in the fulfillment of Christ's mission, where we live and among the nations, as He carries out His purposes (through us), and as He establishes His preeminence among many peoples (going out ahead of us to lead His global cause to victory and to bring about the consummation of history) - David Bryant

All above found at this we address http://proclaimhope.gospelcom.net/writings/praymag/pm004.html

Revival is an extraordinary movement of the Holy Spirit producing extraordinary results.

Richard Owen Roberts, Revival, p16-17

The imparting of life to those who are dead, and the imparting of health to those who are dying - James Buchanan

A movement of the Holy Spirit bringing about a revival of New Testament Christianity in the church of Christ and its related community - Edwin Orr

Revival s a community saturated with God - Duncan Campbell

To be revived is a blessing which can only he enjoyed by those who have some degree of life. Those who have no spiritual life are not, and cannot be, in the strictest sense of the term subjects of a revival... A true revival is to be looked for in the Church of God - Charles Spurgeon

Revival is a church word; it has to do with Gods people. You cannot revive the world; the world is dead in trespasses and sins; you cannot revive a corpse. But you can revitalize where there is life... - Douglas Brown, Revival Addresses, p.77
A true Holy Spirit revival is a remarkable increase in the spiritual life of a large number of Gods people, accompanied by an awesome awareness of the presence of God, intensity of prayer and praise, a deep conviction of sin with a passionate longing for holiness and unusual effectiveness in evangelism, leading to the salvation of many unbelievers. Revival is remarkable, large, effective and, above all, it is something that God brings about - Brian Edwards

All above from Brian Edwards, Revival, A People Saturated with God, pp25-32

In writing of the movement, I would like first to state what I mean by revival as witnessed in the Hebrides. I do not mean a time of religious entertainment, with crowds gathering to enjoy an evening of bright gospel singing; I do not mean sensational or spectacular advertising in a God-sent revival you do not need to spend money on advertising. I do not mean high-pressure methods to get men to an inquiry room in revival every service is an inquiry room; the road and hill side become sacred spots to many when the winds of God blow. Revival is a going of God among his people, and an awareness of God laying hold of the community. Here we see the difference between a successful campaign and revival; in the former we may see many brought to a saving knowledge of the truth, and the church or mission experience a time of quickening, but so far as the town or district is concerned no real change is visible; the world goes on its way and the dance and picture-shows are still crowded: but in revival the fear of God lays hold upon the community, moving men and women, who until then had no concern for spiritual things, to seek after God.

Duncan Campbell, The Lewis Awakening, p. 14-15

A revival is nothing else than a new beginning of obedience to God.

Charles Finney, Lectuires on Revivals of Religion, Chapter 1, What A Revival Of Religion Is

Revival is a new discovery of Jesus.

Professor James Stewart, quoted by Duncan Campbell, The Lewis Awakening, 1949-1953, p36

A revival is a sovereign outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon a group of Christians resulting in their spiritual reviving and quickening, and issuing in the awakening of spiritual concern in outsiders or formal church members; an immediate, or, at other times, a more long-term, effect will be efforts to extend the influence of the Kingdom of God both intensively in the society in which the Church is placed, and extensively in the spread of the gospel to more remote parts of the world.

R E Davies, I Will Pour Out My Spirit, p15

Other general Revival quotes

Awakening essential
Only a God-given reawakening to Christ and the full extent of His supremacy can resuscitate the Church's hope and passion, and re-engage her effectively in the worldwide advance of His Kingdom.

David Bryant, Website at http://proclaimhope.gospelcom.net/

Revival starts with the church and then affects the world
Evan Roberts made this same claim in Wales in 1904: My mission is first to the churches. When the churches are aroused to their duty, men of the world will be swept into the Kingdom. A whole church on its knees is irresistible. Revival always brings the church to its knees. Rhys Bevan Jones, who preached in Wales throughout 1904, declared that if ever there was a slogan for that revival it was this: Bend the church, and save the people.

R. B. Jones, Rent Heavens, p. 55-56

Revivals begin with God's own people
Revivals begin with God's own people; the Holy Spirit touches their heart anew, and gives them new fervour and compassion, and zeal, new light and life, and when He has thus come to you, He next goes forth to the valley of dry bonesOh, what responsibility this lays on the Church of God! If you grieve Him away from yourselves, or hinder His visit, then the poor perishing world suffers sorely!

Andrew A. Bonar, details unknown

God's part and man's part in revival
God is the God of revival but man is the human agent through whom revival is possible.

Duncan Campbell, The Lewis Awakening, 1949-1953, p15

Four governing principles
To the praying men and women of Barvas, four things were made clear, and to them became governing principles. First, they themselves must be rightly related to God, and in this connection the reading of Psalm 24 at one of their prayer meetings brought them down in the presence of the Lord, where hearts were searched and vows renewed, and, in the words of one who was present, they gave to their lives the propulsion of a sacred vow, and with Hezekiah of old, found it in their hearts to make a covenant with the Lord God of Israel. Happy the church and favoured the congregation that can produce such men and women I So prayer meetings were held in church and in cottage, and frequently the small hours of the morning found the parish minister and his faithful few pleading the promises; with a consciousness of God, and with a confidence in Him that caused them to hope in His Word.

In the second place, they were possessed of the conviction that God, being a covenant-keeping God, must keep His covenant engagements. Had He not promised to pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the day ground? Here was something that for them existed in the field of possibility; why were they not actually experiencing it? But they came at length to the place where, with one of old, they could cry Our God.. is able . and He will.

Faith mighty faith the promise seas
And looks to God alone.
Laughs at impossibilities
And cries It shall be done.

Thirdly, they must be prepared for God to work in His own way and not according to their programme God was sovereign and must act according to His sovereign purpose but ever keeping in mind that, while God is sovereign in the affairs of men, His sovereignty does not relieve men of responsibility. God is the God of revival but man is the human agent through whom revival is possible.

Fourthly, there must be a manifestation of God, demonstrating tire reality of the Divine in operation, when men would be forced to say, This is the Lords doing, and it is marvellous in our eves. It is therefore not surprising that in the month of December, 1949, God did visit the Parish church of Barvas with revival blessing that, in a very short time, leapt the bounds of the parish, bringing refreshing and spiritual life to many all over the island.

Duncan Campbell, The Lewis Awakening, 1949-1953, p15-16

Revival begins with revelation of Jesus Christ
In 1922, a year after revival in Lowestoft, Douglas Brown declared, Revival begins with a vision, and the vision begins with a new sense of Jesus Christ. Revival does not begin in a theology, but in a theophany. It begins in a revelation of Jesus Christ Himself and a sense of the nearness of the Master.

Quoted Brian Edwards, Revival, p56

Puritan expectation - George Newton (16021681)
George Newton (16021681), senior colleague of Joseph Alleine at Taunton, Somerset. After expounding the words of Christ in his great High Priestly prayer, I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it (John 17.26), Newton concentrates on the significance of the promise, and will declare it: Let our hearts be full of hope in reference to this business. Since Christ hath undertaken it, let us expect the execution of it. Our Saviours words are a promise to the Father, what he will do in after times for his people: saith he, I will declare thy name to them. And therefore as it is our duty to believe the promise, so to expect the good things promised. To be continually in a waiting frame, looking and hearkening after the accomplishment of this excellent work of his, spying if we can see the daybreak, and the Fathers name shine forth to other nations who never had a glimpse of it by any gospel revelation, till in the end, from the rising of the sun unto the going down of the same, his name be great among the Gentiles, according to that prophecy relating to these latter times and ages of the world, Mal. 1.11.

Let us strive with Christ in prayer that he would make good the word that he hath spoken to the Father before so many witnesses. O my beloved, when ye look on many heathen nations that yet are overwhelmed in ignorance and Egyptian darkness, that yet know nothing of the Fathers name ...go to Jesus Christ and say, O Lord, thou hast professed that thou wilt declare the Fathers name to other persons, and to other nations, to the end of the world...

Let our hearts be full of joy while we are looking forward to the accomplishment of this work. Oh, let it cheer our spirits under all the sinking damps and deep discouragements that are upon them in relation to the church, to think in what blessed state and glorious posture she will be, when Christ shall have declared his Fathers name to all the nations under heaven, when the Jews shall be converted, and when the fulness of the Gentiles shall come in. O my beloved, that will be a joyful time indeed! It is true, those times, my brethren, shall be very comfortable and full of gladness many ways. And this is not the least, that people shall be brought in to the knowledge of the Lord out of all quarters of the world, and that by heaps and multitudes.... There was never such a time since the foundation of the world, nor shall be till that blessed season come: and therefore let out souls rejoice in the foresight of it, though we never live to see it.

Iain Murray, Puritan Hope p91-2

Puritan expectation - Richard Sibbes (1577-1635)
Richard Sibbes, Preaching to students and townsmen at Cambridge, where he ministered with so much success until his death in 1635, he gives this application to the truth concerning Christs power:

Let no man therefore despair; nor, as I said before, let us despair of the conversion of those that are savages in other parts. How bad so ever they be, they are of the world, and if the gospel be preached to them, Christ will be believed on in the world. Christs almighty power goeth with his own ordinance to make it effectual... . And when the fulness of the gentiles is come in, then comes the conversion of the Jews. Why may we not expect it? They were the people of God. We see Christ believed on in the world. We may therefore expect that they shall also be called, there being many of them, and keeping their nation distinct from others.

Iain Murray, Puritan Hope p92

Don't make your experience the rule of judement
Persons are very ready to be suspicious of what they have not felt themselves. It is to be feared that many good men have been guilty of this error; which however does not make it the less unreasonable. And perhaps there are some who upon this ground do not only reject these extraordinary things, but all such conviction of sin, discoveries of the glory of God, excellency of Christ, and inward conviction of the truth of the gospel, by the immediate influence of the Spirit of God, now supposed to be necessary to salvation. --These persons who thus make their own experiences their rule of judgement, instead of bowing to the wisdom of God, and yielding to his word as an infallible rule, are guilty of casting a great reflection upon the understanding of the Most High.

Jonathan Edwards, Thoughts Concerning the Present Revival of Religion, Part I, Section II.

Revival is God's main menas of advancing the cause of Christ in history.
It may here be observed, that from the fall of man to our day, the work of redemption in its effect has mainly been carried on by remarkable communications of the Spirit of God. Though there be a more constant influence of Gods Spirit always in some degree attending his ordinances, yet the way in which the greatest things have been done towards carrying on this work, always have been by remarkable effusions, at special seasons of mercy, as may fully appear hereafter in our further prosecution of our subject.

Jonathan Edwards, A History of the Work of Redemption, 1774, Period I, Part I

Pentecost: the first revival
John Stott says in his exposition of Acts 2: Pentecost has been called - and rightly - the first revival, using this word to denote one of those altogether unusual visitations of God, in which a whole community becomes vividly aware of His immediate, overpowering presence. It may be, therefore, that not only the physical phenomena (v2ff) but the deep conviction of sin (v37), the 3,000 conversions (v41) and the widespread sense of awe (v43) were signs of revival.

R E Davies, I will pour out my Spirit, p24

Set your sails for revival
We cannot organize revival, but we can set our sails to catch the wind of heaven . . .

G. Campbell Morgan, source unknown

"All the ends of the world, and all the kingdoms of this earth, shall profit me nothing. It is better for me to die for the sake of Jesus Christ, than to reign over all the ends of the earth. "For what is a man profited, if he gain the whole world, but lose his own soul? "I long after the Lord, the Son of the true God and Father, even Jesus Christ. Him I seek, who died for us and rose again." - St. Ignatius of Antioch (35 -117)

2005/11/29 19:50Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Revival Quotes

Quote:
In revival there is a fresh focus on Christ's person (who He is to us, especially His character as God's Son) and on His passion (who He is for us, especially in His death, resurrection, and ascension).

[i]Here I found the benefit of a principle which I invariably adopt, of never pressing upon any human being my sentiments or wishes, without an absolute necessity. If a friend be reduced to the necessity of refusing or complying, he will feel grieved: but if, though with pain to himself, he do anything without being importuned, he has a sweet feeling of love excited by that very act; or, it he refrain from doing what you wish, he feels a love to you for not pressing him against his will.[/i] ~ Charles Simeon

2006/1/21 10:03Profile

©2002-2014 SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons | Google+
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival. | Privacy Policy