SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Revival in Saskatoon, Canada 1971

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Revival in Saskatoon, Canada 1971

[b]Revival in Saskatoon, Canada 1971[/b]

Before the Revival of 1971

Pastor Bill McLeod began having a burden for his congregation at Ebenezer Baptist Church in Saskatoon.
For quite a long period of time he would focus much of his time praying for them. Then Pastor McLeod called for the congregation to attend a meeting each Wednesday for prayer. These meeting began with an attendance of about forty, but week by week it grew until over half of the three hundred member congregation were attending.

In addition to the meetings at the church on Wednesday nights, Pastor McLeod initiated smaller prayer meetings throughout the city of Saskatoon and after regular Sunday evening services. He also organized a 24 hour prayer calendar so that there were people scheduled to pray at all times somewhere in the city.

After two years of prayer Ralph and Lou Sutera were invited to lead a twelve day crusade at the church beginning on Wednesday, October 13, 1971. The meetings began with little impact on the attendees in the first day or two, but love and forgiveness among members of congregation escalated and grew.

The numbers of people were growing so large as the days past because the Spirit of God was moving so powerfully that they began to move the meeting to larger facilities.
First, they moved to the Missionary Alliance Church which was the largest evangelical in the City of Saskatoon at the time. This is the building where the Faith Alive Family Church is located today. After this they had to move to the largest of all the United churches in Saskatoon. Eventually, the revival meeting required acquiring the 2,000 seat civic auditorium.

The crusade continued, as late as five o'clock in the morning, every night for seven weeks instead of the original twelve days that had been planned. There was a sense of love and unity in the entire christian community of Saskatoon. The revival resulted in the co-operation of twenty other churches in Saskatoon as well. The revival became known as the Canadian Prairie Revival.

The results of the revival were evident in many areas as people returned to businesses that they had cheated to confess and pay what they owed. One fugitive turned himself in and when asked why he did it he said," I have found the Lord Jesus here in your town, and now I want to follow Him. That is why I am giving myself up." Because he the way he came forward the charges were dropped. He then took his wife and children to the crusade where the wife got saved and the family was restored.

[b]Quotes and Letters From the Saskatoon Revival[/b]

Pastor Bill McLeod:
"Revival is nothing but the Holy Spirit pointing His finger right at you."
"The Holy Spirit is love. To be filled with the Spirit is to be filled with love."
"You can't change anybody, but God can change you."
"The church has been sweeping things under the rug. God is pulling back the rug."

Quotes From Other Revival Attendees:
"It was wonderful! We were all packed into the church, and no one asked whether we were Baptist, Alliance, Mennonite, or whatever. We sensed intuitively that we were all part of the same body - the Body of Christ."
"I feel as if God's steamroller had just run over me"
"When God uses a solvent He does a good job"
"This is group therapy with Christ as the focal point"
“Any old bush will do as long is it's on fire!"
"People who are right with God can help each other"
"If you are not ready to deal with your sin, perhaps you had better go home and 'pickle' awhile"
"I feel as if a 200-pound bag of flour has been lifted off my back, but on the way to the meeting I prayed for a flat tire so I wouldn't have to go"
"Crucifying the self, giving our sin nature to God, is a painful experience but it's the only way to the blessing."

--

[b]A Letter from Leonard Ravenhill: (December 2, 1971)
"Dear Woody: When meetings last until after midnight; when couples tear up their divorce papers before a thousand people; when the chief of police says that there is a rash of confessing of crimes; when the shopkeepers say they are staggered by the great number of folk owning up to shoplifting; when lawyers, psychologists, and a Jesuit priest get saved; when deacons and many church members confess with tears and with great shame and brokenness that they have been living in adultery, fornication, thieving, and lying; when men from those meetings in Saskatoon, Canada, fly east to preach at the Toronto Bible College chapel hour, and the hour lasts until one the next morning, with great humiliation and confessions — when all this and loads more happens night after night for several weeks, one might say that there is a touch of REVIVAL. No star-studded platform, no huge budget, no gimmicks were in evidence. Indeed, the two evangelists had a bagful of modern tricks and they threw them all out and cast themselves upon the blessed Holy Spirit. Result: Right now the Canadian city of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, is shaking under the power of God. The outbreak is city-wide."[/b]

2005/11/28 22:02Profile

Re: Revival in Saskatoon, Canada 1971

great post.

one thing, the first 3 paragraphs are repeated in your post.

Wonderful!!

2005/11/29 11:03

After reading Greg’s post about the Canadian revival in the 1970’s I started thinking about how this work of God that occurred 14 or so years before I was born has affected my life.

I have listened to many tapes from men and women that God used and did a great work in during the revival. Messages from Bill McCleod, Lou and Ralph Sutera, and others have tremendously impacted my life and given me a hunger to pray for God to do it again. Canadian Revival Fellowship, which was formed because of the revival, has brought messages from some of the godliest men of our time including Wesley Duewell, Stephen Olford, and Keith Daniel. I first heard Keith Daniel on a video message that was given at a Canadian Revival Fellowship conference. Praise God for that message on the Sermon on the Mount!!! And praise God for our dear friends the Cheneys who gave it to us!

God has greatly used Bro. Keith in my own life to draw me closer to His Heart and to love His Word and cling to it has my sole source of survival.

I know that this revival has affected my life in many other ways and though I was not even there God used it and is still using it to revive me and a burden for revival. Praise the Lord that He is not restricted to working in certain settings but He is still doing the work of revival in many hearts, one at a time!

“O give thanks to the Lord of lords: for his mercy endureth for ever. To him who alone doeth great wonders: for his mercy endureth for ever.” Psalms 136:3-4

Does any one else have a testimony of how this Canadian revival affected your life? Has anyone had the blessing of sitting under the preaching of the men of God who were greatly used?

“Wilt thou not revive us again: that thy people may rejoice in thee?” Psalms 85:6

2005/11/30 16:52
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
one thing, the first 3 paragraphs are repeated in your post.

Thanks Brother I fixed it.

Ronyia,
Great testimony how wonderful it is that the Lord uses men like this and that such great things comes out of times of revival even local revival. Praise God.

2005/11/30 16:58Profile
Josiah777

Sterling, VA

Re:

There is a great sermon online under Bill McLeod about the first hand testimonies of this revival. It was a GREAT blessing to hear the many lives changed and the way our heavenly Father touched the hearts of many people to bring about this mighty move of God! There are a ton of great nuggets of spiritual insight from these men who lived it (not just theory) and saw God's hand in the lives of others. "(Revival Forum 89) Lou Sutera / Bill Mcleod by Bill McLeod"

2006/1/13 15:53Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=3907]Here is a video about it, here on SI.[/url]

2006/1/13 16:14Profile
Gery

Dear Greg

If I remember correctly, Dr. Kurt Koch visited and wrote about that Canadian revival. He was a well-known writer on the Occult and Revivals. He visited my country to test a revival among the Zulu nation and later wrote a book titled: "God among the Zulus" and another title in German.

Just thought to mention it for possible further reading.

In Him,
Gery

2006/1/13 19:47Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Here is a bit more and a link to the message mentioned by Bill McCleod;

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=8318&forum=16&post_id=&refresh=Go]Revival Forum 89! Leonard Ravenhill added[/url]

Quote:
Does any one else have a testimony of how this Canadian revival affected your life? Has anyone had the blessing of sitting under the preaching of the men of God who were greatly used?

Hi Roniya,

Well, I am wondering if it was in fact yourself who first made mention here some time ago about this incredible man of God, Keith Daniel. For how long some of his messages sat here just dormant until one day a mention was made and many of us were scrambling trying to figure out just who he was, where he came from, even if he was still alive. Keith Daniel I believe arrests me more than anything by his passion and honesty. The[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=4334] Sermon On The Mount (cd quality)[/url] (also here) [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=4230]Sermon On The Mount (video)[/url] is truly remarkable for the fact that he does so from memory and from the heart. So much more could be said about this man...

Have [i]yet[/i] to hear any of the others mentioned here, but am greatly intrigued, hopefully this weekend will prove an opportunity.

And then there is that Ravenhill letter at the end here ... "The Revival we need" indeed.

2006/1/13 23:40Profile

Re:

Quote:

crsschk wrote:
Hi Roniya,
Well, I am wondering if it was in fact yourself who first made mention here some time ago about this incredible man of God, Keith Daniel. For how long some of his messages sat here just dormant until one day a mention was made and many of us were scrambling trying to figure out just who he was, where he came from, even if he was still alive. Keith Daniel I believe arrests me more than anything by his passion and honesty. The[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=4334] Sermon On The Mount (cd quality)[/url] (also here) [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=4230]Sermon On The Mount (video)[/url] is truly remarkable for the fact that he does so from memory and from the heart. So much more could be said about this man...

No, I wasn’t the one to bring Keith Daniel’s sermons to the light here. Your question made me start to think how I actually heard about Sermon Index. It seems that in the fall of 2004 a lady from Arizona contacted us about Bro. Keith’s fall tour. She made mention of Greg Gordon and this ministry called Sermon Index. Totally new to me. :-) Mrs. B. told me that Bro. Keith had an ‘online fan club’ of about 5,000+ members.:-) I think we sent Greg the schedule for Bro. Keith and he put it on the website. Later we sent some more messages by Bro. Keith to Greg and he put them on the website. I didn’t actually join SI until last fall. It’s been a great blessing ever since. :-) I am grateful for it and that is has spread messages by godly men like Keith Daniel.

2006/1/14 16:25

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy