PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Respect and Reverence -Beuker

[b]Respect and Reverence[/b]

Lev. 19:30b - " …...and reverence my sanctuary: I am the Lord."
Hebr. 12:28 –"…we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear."

It is said that reverence is the respect that someone inferior extends to someone superior.

Some time ago I had a very vivid dream. There was an elderly gentleman addressing a group of other men. Dressed in white and with long flowing white hair, he appeared to be of native origin. Actually he reminded me of Chief White Feather who many years ago travelled Canada and the United States and played the organ in churches. But for all I know he might have been an angel.

In my dream the "Chief" was about to lead in prayer and then looked around. He became very disturbed with the men for their disrespectful stance, behaviour and attitude. He chided them severely and actually shouted: " Stand up straight!!. Don't you dare to have your hands in your pockets, when addressing the Holy One. And don't you dare to use this time to stretch and fidget about."

A couple of years ago I managed an engineering project for the US Military and one thing will always continue to impress me: the manner in which members of the military stand at perfect attention, ramrod straight, whenever a senior officer enters the room.

How much more then should we "stand at attention" when in the presence of the Lord and entering His Holy place. I am ashamed of how little reverence is shown anymore. We have become ignorant and offensive, both in the manner in which we approach the Lord Jesus and even in the area of dress code. We used to have dress-down Fridays in our office, but I would never allow anyone to come to work if they were dressed in the manner some of us come to church. What do we think we can get away with? Oh, but you say, evangelicals are now informal. Who gave us permission for that? Not the Lord!! We would never behave disrespectful or be dressed-down if we were invited to the White House, the Governor General's mansion or Buckingham palace. And if we as adults behave without proper reverence, what are our kids going to do.

This dream has had a profound effect on me. It may appear corny to you, but I do not even feel comfortable anymore kneeling at my bed at night, unless I am at least dressed properly in my pyjamas.

Is it any wonder that so many of our prayers never go "beyond the ceiling"? Oh men and women, let us return to the times when we considered it such a privilege to appear in the presence of the Lord, that we did not dare to be irreverent and non-chalant. The Lord deserves and requires our utmost respect and reverence.

I challenge you to at least stand ramrod straight the next time you are asked to stand for prayer.

2005/11/28 17:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy