SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Did God Create Evil?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Yodi

Escondido, California

Did God Create Evil?

[b]Did God create everything that exists? Does evil exist? Did God create evil?[/b] A University professor at a well known institution of higher learning challenged his students with this question. "Did God create everything that exists?" A student bravely replied, "Yes he did!"

"God created everything?" The professor asked. "Yes sir, he certainly did," the student replied.

The professor answered, "If God created everything; then God created evil. And, since evil exists, and according to the principal that our works define who we are, then we can assume God is evil."

The student became quiet and did not answer the professor's hypothetical definition. The professor, quite pleased with himself, boasted to the students that he had proven once more that the Christian faith was a myth.

Another student raised his hand and said, "May I ask you a question, professor?"

"Of course", replied the professor.

The student stood up and asked, "Professor, does cold exist?"

"What kind of question is this? Of course it exists. Have you never been cold?" The other students snickered at the young man's question.

The young man replied, "In fact sir, cold does not exist. According to the laws of physics, what we consider cold is in reality the absence of heat. Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy. Absolute zero (-460 F) is the total absence of heat; and all matter becomes inert and incapable of reaction at that temperature. Cold does not exist. We have created this word to describe how we feel if we have no heat."

The student continued, "Professor, does darkness exist?"

The professor responded, "Of course it does."

The student replied, "Once again you are wrong sir, darkness does not exist either. Darkness is in reality the absence of light. Light we can study, but not darkness. In fact, we can use Newton's prism to break white light into many colors and study the various wavelengths of each color. You cannot measure darkness. A simple ray of light can break into a world of darkness and illuminate it. How can you know how dark a certain space is? You measure the amount of light present. Isn't this correct? Darkness is a term used by man to describe what happens when there is no light present."

Finally the young man asked the professor, "Sir, does evil exist?"

Now uncertain, the professor responded, "Of course, as I have already said. We see it everyday. It is in the daily examples of man's inhumanity to man. It is in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world. These manifestations are nothing else but evil.

To this the student replied, "Evil does not exist, sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the absence of God. God did not create evil. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat, or the darkness that comes when there is no light."

The professor sat down.

The young man's name -- Albert Einstein

2005/11/23 13:26Profile
deathdancer

South Africa

Re: Did God Create Evil?

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
(The King James Version 1769.)

2005/11/23 13:42Profile

The mistake in the Professor's thinking was to say [i]if[/i] God [i]created[/i] evil, then God [u]is[/u] evil.

Romans 1:25
Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and [u]worshipped and served [i]the creature[/i] more than [b]the Creator[/b][/u], who is blessed for ever. Amen.

But, we know that God is good, because Jesus said so (Mat 19:17).

Also, goodness is part of the fruit of the Spirit - which makes perfect sense.

And this could be tied in with Einstein's definition.... just.... in the light of understanding the death of our old man.

Romans 6:6
Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be [b]destroyed[/b], [u]that henceforth we should not [i][b]serve[/b][/i] sin[/u].

Romans 5:12
Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Romans 5:15
But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

Romans 5:17
For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.

Yes, God created evil, but, it was powerless over man. Man had actively to overcome the barrier God had placed between him and evil.

2005/11/23 13:57
worzle

Re:

I'm probably wrong about this; but this is my humble opinion.

God has a character, I'm guessing we can't define it, but He is. If 'sin' is defined as anything which goes against God's character (i.e. anything done outside of His glory, be it with the wrong motives etc?) then we have a definition for evil without God having created it.

To elaborate, if God created time, and can exist outside time (although He clearly can communicate in time and space whenever and whereever he pleases), then He is the great I AM. He is truely eternal if time is removed from the picture, in so far as having no beginning or end, and as such His character is unchangeing.

Therefore if His character was not created, the potential for evil to exist as an antithesis to his character has also eternally existed.

Of course, that all depends on whether you think He created time and therefore is not bound by it :$, I could easily be wrong (and probably am:X)

*edit* I guess that may explain the predistination passages? God clearly knows the future (by way of prophecy etc) but he also has the soverign power to grant us true freewill for the present. It's hard to fathom anything outside of time but if so, God could really be in the past present and future.. at the same 'time'(?) :$

2005/11/24 5:36Profile
Billy7

Excellent story! I think it really explains this dilemma well.

As for my opinion on this the subject, we could answer the question of whether or not God created evil by also asking, "Did God create Satan?" The answer, of course, is NO! He created a beautiful angel named Lucifer, and Lucifer created Satan by an act of his own free-will. And we all know the rest of the story.

As for the verse that was quoted from the book of Isaiah (Isa. 45:6 - "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things."), I don't think that this verse is valid for proposing the assumption that evil is the creation of God. Notice here that , in this verse, evil is contrasted with peace, not good. So, I don't believe that it is accurate to assume that the evil spoken of here is in the sense of evil as opposed to good. Rather, I think the word "evil" here is better translated "calamity" or "adversity" as is the case in the New King James Version, and others as well.

The idea in this verse is that God gives peace to those who obey and walk with Him, and He brings calamity or adversity on those who don't, as is the necessary means of maintaining law and order within the context of a legal society such as was the case with the nation of Israel.

It's the same idea as that which is portrayed in Deut. 11:26-28) - "Behold, I set before you today a blessing and a curse: the blessing, if you obey the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you today; and the curse, if you do not obey the commandments of the Lord your God...")

2005/11/24 10:53Profile
dohzman

Re:

I believe in this sense its being used for I create war, the opposite of peace. :-) :-)

2005/11/24 11:21Profile

Hi Billy7 and dohzman,

There is an important distinction between 'create' - which means there was nothing there before - and 'make', in which something already in existence, is put into a new relationship to other things.

This ties in with the idea of peace-[i]making[/i]. I believe the concept of 'peace' or lack of it, has more than one word in Greek, (help!) including one word which carries the meaning of one party [i]refusing[/i] to make peace, whereas another means the [i]breaking[/i] of a peace (or truce, perhaps). In other words, peace is a constructive situation, not merely the absence of conflict.

Evil is about rebellion and resistance to what is acceptable to God.

2005/11/24 16:18
JFEdgar

Wellington, Ohio

Re:

Just so you know...

Most who have looked into it believe that this story is a myth. Although the truths in it are just as valuable... there is no evidence to say that albert einstein ever had any encounter like this.

http://www.snopes.com/religion/einstein.asp

But I do love the rest of the story.

:-)

2005/11/24 20:46Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

I got this in my email today:

Why? -author unknown
"I walked today through the slums of life, down the streets of
wretchedness and of pain. I trod today where few have trod, and as I
walked I challenged God. In the wealthy parts of the city I wended
my way, and not necessarily among the destitute and the demoralized,
and I saw men and women devoid of life, living in worlds of sin,
Above the din I whispered: "Why God why?"

I walked today down the lanes of hate, hearing the jeers of bitter
men, hearing the names as they cursed and spat: "Dago", "Nigger", "Kike", "Jap"!

I saw the dejected men they stoned. I felt the anguish of their
cries. I saw them as they slapped the lonely, as they offended the
godly, as they turned their backs on the innocent. Snarling,
growling were the fiends of hell. Is it these that God called His
sons? Gasping for air, I cried: "Why God, why?"

I walked today through war's grim dregs; over fields of blood, over
grave less men. Hollow civilization’s product; the gas chamber and
the concentration camp. I saw the dead, the pleading, the crying. I
saw the pain, the waste, the baby trying to nurse from a dead
mother, the ruins, and I shouted: "Why, God, why? Why do you let men sin, suffer, hate? Unmerciful Father! God, art Thou blind? Art Thou wicked and cruel? Canst Thou watch and do nothing? Why must this be?"

The world grew silent. I awaited a reply. The silence was heavy. I
started to tremble. I waited long; half rebuking, half fearing. Then
I heard from close behind me: "Why, man, why?"

ginnyrose

2005/11/26 10:38Profile

This is very curious. Why would anyone put forth a story falsely attributed to Albert Einstein in an attempt to make a point about good and evil? It makes no sense whatsoever. It tells a lie in order to contradict a lie.

Bubbaguy :-?

2005/11/28 13:17

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy