Discussion Forum : General Topics : Two fold - ? and something happening

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
Maybe let's quit drinking from the Paris R, David W. and Ray C. coolaid punch bowl for a while a try living by Grace.

What is "Grace" or what does it do?

2005/11/21 14:28Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
Peters first sermon did not harp on the law

What was Peter's listeners celebrating at this time?

2005/11/21 14:43Profile

Re:

I have a few problems with how this thread is turning out.

So, tonight I'm gonna re-read everything and speak my two cents. Cause, I think EVERYONE has missed the point of the thread.

2005/11/21 15:01
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

I agree Josh, seems like we got off the path a bit. Here was your initial question.

Quote:
Basically, are you willing to die for the Christ that you serve? If not, are you really in love with Him? Examine yourself, cause the battle is coming, weither you want it to or not.

In my heart I could give an immediate yes Lord but I see my heart much like Peter. At this point, I'm being sifted. It's a rather painful process.

I know He is going to bring me through but the work of grace is not yet complete in my heart. I trust Him to finish it as I submit to Him.

Then the story of Peter from Luke 22 comes to mind: And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

And he said unto him, Lord, I am ready to go with thee, both into prison, and to death. And he said, I tell thee, Peter, the cock shall not crow this day, before that thou shalt thrice deny that thou knowest me.

2005/11/21 15:11Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

or you could use www.bible.crosswalk.com

2005/11/21 15:35Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re: Two fold - ? and something happening

bro josh

Quote:
Basically, are you willing to die for the Christ that you serve? If not, are you really in love with Him? Examine yourself, cause the battle is coming, weither you want it to or not.

my own experience with this is at first i was like Peter, gung-ho but with no concept really hwo the gravity of dying for Christ. The Lord has dealt with me since then and if you like i could share the details with you privately but the essence of it is this. i am now willing to die for the Lord because i realize that my strength is not required for that and other tasks He has for me. At first i struggled with the whole idea because there was no way i could of my own strength willingly die for anything. then the Lord (praise Him for His longsuffering!) revealed to me that His grace is sufficient. If in my service to Him, death was at the end of the road (which He has shown me) i could in no way do it but He would not just give me courage to do it, but He would be my courage that i would go willingly to my death to serve Him.

my brethren the battle isn't just coming it's here, it's now and we must take up arms against the enemy for he is pulling no punches, he's swinging and swinging hard. i fear that many people will be caught off guard when this war becomes painfully apparent and if they're not holding onto Christ they won't be able to hang and will fall by the wayside. i know for certain where Christ has me and i say it without shame or bashfulness, for those of you who are unsure as my bro Josh said here [b][color=0000FF] Examine yourself, cause the battle is coming, weither you want it to or not[/color][/b]

Lord God convict us of our sin, cause us to repent, repent and repent some more that we may be baptised in you and conformed to you and concecratd for you work only.AMEN

2005/11/21 15:49Profile
jimbob

Re:

PP,
Not the ten commandements!

Look I know as well as the next that the law can be and is used by the Holy Spirit to convict of sin. But having said that, it is still not a formula. Jesus said to Matthew "FOLLOW ME" and he did! He did not "open air" preach at him and tell him he was a sinner!

I believe in the reformed veiwpoint that regeneration precedes faith AND repentance and that both are a gift of Grace. Repentance is a result of salvation not part of some formula to get "it" as if salvation is a thing.

I see that far and away most people on SI are of some sort of baptist/pentecostal background. I used to be, but have rejected this in favor of a better way.

Salvation is not something to "have" as you put it, but a result of a relationship with Christ. If faith is something I must maintain, then I am lost, but fortunately for me, He who began this good work in me IS ABLE TO COMPLETE IT.

My assurance of my salvation (my relationship to Him)is not based on anything I do, but totally on what he did. Can you all say the same?

2005/11/22 6:11Profile

Re: Two fold

Quote:
I believe in the reformed veiwpoint that regeneration precedes faith AND repentance and that both are a gift of Grace. Repentance is a result of salvation not part of some formula to get "it" as if salvation is a thing.

Hi jimbob,

I have never heard this put forward as a doctrine but I am pleased you have put it into words, as I nearly posted a thread on this matter, with a question, recognising that some repentance (perhaps most of it) comes after we understand out sinfulness. For me, most of that has come since I placed my faith in what God was saying to me about - well ... faith, and salvation.

Now that I think about it, I can see that if preachers imply to the unsaved that the repentance they do as they come to Christ the first time, is 'it' - that is, all the repentance they may ever need - then of course, that new believer will have no doctrinal tools with which to deal with the next conviction of sin. Hmmm This could explain some of what is seen in evangelical churches, perhaps.

And I can see too, it will provide the enemy with a field day, as he lades condemnation on to those who begin to doubt their standing with God.

2005/11/22 8:17

Re:

Let me first thank Ed (habakkuk3) for bringing us all back on track.

Praise God for Farai's (IRONMAN) response

Now, Jimbob. Have you just skimmed over what I said? Or do you like causes dissention?

I'm serious. It's either one or the other. This particular thread is about 'are you willing to die for Christ' and something else.(which will be my conclusion)

You make good points (and i support you). But, create another thread about that. This one is about 'dying for Christ' and a question that I have.

Example (to help you better understand, if you don't already) : If a group of people are talking about pinapples and someone jumps in and says 'hey hows the weather?' to the crowd. What would you think of that person? (Rude, Inconsiderate, mean, and other opinions as well)

I'm not saying that you are those things, but you are side tracting everyone for the orginal thought. I'm young and people say I have ADD, but there is a time and a place to be 'random' or have an 'ADD' mantality.

I hope you understand, and don't take it as an offense but instead take it as encouragement to start another thread. ;-)

Quote:
First off, I have a question, I heard a quote from Spurgeon, he said something like 'if someone is going to hell, let them beg for it' or something like 'let them go after they heard the gospel thru and thru'.

Basically, like urgancy to get the gospel out (this should be simple....hopefully someone knows what quote i'm referring to)

I still need help on this. Does anyone know Spurgeon quote on this. Maybe it wasn't Spurgeon, but im 90% sure.

2005/11/23 13:58
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:

So you have to be born again before you can have faith? Am I correct in assuming you beleive strongly about the "election"? Or that God gives some the gift of salvation and others He does not,He sends some to Hell and some to Heaven which would make man have no choice?

2005/11/28 10:26Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy