SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : mankind is immortal? ... prove it.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
deathdancer

South Africa

mankind is immortal? ... prove it.

Quote:
Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto;

1 Tim 6;16 :-?

2005/11/19 11:38Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: mankind is immortal? ... prove it.

This scripture must be understood in the context it was written:

"that you keep the commandment without stain or reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ,

15which He will bring about at the proper time--He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords,

16 who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see To Him be honor and eternal dominion! Amen." (NASB)

Obviously, this is talking about Jesus.

What are you thinking?

ginnyrose

2005/11/19 11:51Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: mankind is immortal? ... prove it.

Welcome to SermonIndex. You have an unusual nickname, as you are new here perhaps you could kindly indulge us and give a little introduction of yourself and the meaning behind your nickname?

Also, concerning your question on immortality and the verse you quoted, perhaps this comment from Albert Barnes on this verse may shed some light...

The word here - ἀθανασία athanasia - properly means “exemption from death,” and seems to mean that God, in his own nature, enjoys a perfect and certain exemption from death. Creatures have immortality only as they derive it from him, and of course are dependent on him for it. He has it by his very nature, and it is in his case underived, and he cannot be deprived of it. It is one of the essential attributes of his being, that he will always exist, and that death cannot reach him; compare the expression in Joh_5:26, “The Father hath life in himself,”
-from [i]Albert Barnes' Notes on the Bible[/i]

In Christ,

Ron

2005/11/19 11:51Profile
deathdancer

South Africa

Re: immortalityI

I am thinking that mankind has no immortality. Christ brought immortality..2 Tim 1;10. From Gen 2;17 till Rev 20 ;14 i read only of death to mankind, except for the saved.

2005/11/19 14:16Profile
deathdancer

South Africa

Re:

Hi Ron,thank you for the welcome. Yes God has immortality,but mankind does not have this factor.I am a farmer,and have no formal education in theology. It is however my passion .As to my nick name,i have danced with death on many occasion and spat in his eye.Death is dead.Rev 20 ; 14. Die and death are mentioned over 700 times in the KJV. On almost every page there is a mention of life or death. Nothing comes close to this topic. What can be more important? cheers.

2005/11/19 14:37Profile
deathdancer

South Africa

Re:

Hi Ron,. To borrow your quote.."Creatures have immortality only as they derive it from him, and of course are dependent on him for it."Well said.Did He ever promise immortality to mankind? That is the million $ question.. cheers.

2005/11/19 15:21Profile
jimbob

Re:

Nothing comes close to this topic? How about Life? He is the God of the living, not the dead.

2005/11/19 17:19Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Immortality

Welcome deathdancer,

Quote:
Did He ever promise immortality to mankind? That is the million $ question.. cheers.

Joh 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
Joh 11:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Luk 18:30 Who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting.

Ecc 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Mat 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Realize that you did state
Quote:
I am thinking that mankind has no immortality. Christ brought immortality..2 Tim 1;10. From Gen 2;17 till Rev 20 ;14 i read only of death to mankind, except for the saved.

[b]Immortality
IMMORTAL'ITY, n.[/b] The quality of never ceasing to live or exist; exemption from death and annihilation; life destined to endure without end; as the immortality of the human soul.

--Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel. 2 Tim 1.

1. Exemption from oblivion.

2. Perpetuity; existence not limited; as the immortality of a corporation.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"To mankind" would be the onus you are stressing.

The same word definition Ron brought forth;

[b]G110[/b]
ἀθανασία
athanasia
ath-an-as-ee'-ah
From a compound of G1 (as a negative particle) and G2288; [b]deathlessness[/b]: - immortality.

Rev 2:11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

Luk 16:26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

Just a few to think on, not answers per se, will be interesting to see where this might go.

2005/11/19 22:17Profile
deathdancer

South Africa

Re:

Hi jimbob,..He is the God of the living.We have to die first before we live.Die to self,die to the world, die to sin.What grace to be able to do this.Death before life, no short cuts.i don't find death a morbid topic. It is the other side of the coin.Death ,on the other hand, to the unsaved has a different meaning,,hense the question..Mankind is immortal???

2005/11/20 1:10Profile
deathdancer

South Africa

Re: Immortality

Hi crssch..Thanks for the interest. Your quote Immortality
IMMORTAL'ITY, n. The quality of never ceasing to live or exist; exemption from death and annihilation; life destined to endure without end; as the immortality of the human soul.k. and mankind

mankind [man knd]
noun
1. all human beings: human beings considered collectively (often considered offensive

Microsoft® Encarta® 2006. © 1993-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
lets stick to these definitions,for the discussion.
Is it fair to use Luke 16 as a reference,this being a parable?on a doctrine as important as this.I dont ask this maliciously,but as a novice.
The onus is on mankind.If anyone can shew me in the KJV that mankind is immortal i rest my case.
I guess it comes down to the interpretation of eternal punishment.I say sin equals death equals eternal punishment.would you go along with this?
cheers.

2005/11/20 2:08Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy