SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Home Churches? (how many at SI?)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Home Churches? (how many at SI?)

I am curious to find out how many people at SermonIndex are in home churches as opposed to an convential church building once a week. Please post back and give some details and expereinces of this type of formation of church.

much appreciated.

2005/11/18 23:51Profile
shibu

Goa, India

Re: Home Churches? (how many at SI?)

Though I am not against mega church. I personally want to encourage believers in India to go for small groups (either they will meet in a home or a separate building for gathering/fellowship). Some of the reasons for this are

1. In mega church, it is impossible to concentrate on all. Many will go to mega church meeting as though they going to a restaurant. After eating their spiritual foods, they drop their tip into the offering box and leave. Nobody knows about their spiritual life and social life at home.

2. In mega church, most of them will be in the receiving mode as spectator's. But God will for each members as mentioned in Ephesians 4:16 "from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love."

3. The mega church enables only few to grow in the leadership cadre and for exercising God given gifts and talents for the edification of the church.

4. The mega church environment leads more into "meeting" oriented than "relationship" oriented. God is concerned that we should have a deep, committed, growing, wholesome relationship with the fellow Christian members of the church. Small gathering are more feasible towards that.

5. In mega church doesn't leads to community life. Many of them comes to meeting with wearing mask and hide their real states. The community life open a way for believers to disclose their problems to other members of the church for their advice, help, correction and prayer support.

6. Chances for sharing our material goods with needy members of the church are more for small grops, due to close inter-personal relationship and concern.

7. In mega church most of the members don't have a sense of responsibilities towards other members. Their mentality will be like "Am I my brother’s keeper." Therefore they don't seek God in order to become a blessing to others, may through a small word of encouragement/correction/caution with prophetic utterance. This will call for intimate walk with the Lord.

In Him,
Shibu

2005/11/19 2:39Profile

Re:

Good break down of the mega churches anyone else a home church goer?

(not me 8-) )

2005/11/19 21:26
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Both -

I'm involved with house churches to fellowship, edify and lift up my brothers and sisters in Christ and go to institutional churches to minister to the lost - the "unsaved" who think they are "saved". Meeting with house churches has been difficult since many are far away and most meet on Sunday when I go out into the institutional churches. I’m not at all saying that all institutional churches are bad and all house churches are good -not by any means. I finds a lot of house churches falling into the same errors of the institutional churches and have run across church buildings and denominational or institutional churches were the word of God is preached in full with unction and power of the Spirit (although have yet to run across these churches in my area - but I believe SirEdward is the pastor of such a church). I’m not first concerned with form (although this an issue) but rather first concerned with the “Jesus” or “Gospel” that is being preached.

The Lord has laid on my heart lately that we need to stop looking at church with a “feed me first” mentality. We need to stop looking at church as how the church can benefit me and how can it feed me and how can it help me and how can it grow me. So many look at church (house church and building church) with this me, me, me, me humanistic attitude. So I don’t look for churches to feed me anymore, but now look for churches were I can be of help to them and feed them putting others and there spiritual needs above my own. In doing this the Lord always makes sure that I am fed and supplies for all of my Spiritual needs, while at the same time keeping me poor in Spirit and always hungering and thirsting after Him. I have stopped looking for a church to feed me and instead seek churches where the Lord may use me to bring words of life and rivers of living water and reach out to the lost in their congregations (which is the majority) and feed them. This is my main focus.

2005/11/19 22:13Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

4. The mega church environment leads more into "meeting" oriented than "relationship" oriented. God is concerned that we should have a deep, committed, growing, wholesome relationship with the fellow Christian members of the church. Small gathering are more feasible towards that.

Even in a small house church environment, if you are only meeting once a week, you will probably never develop a true and deep releationship with individuals. Deep relationships involve sharing one's life with another outside of a meeting- be it in a house or mega church. Such depth of relationship requires trust, time, and opennness. Meeting in a small group doesn't automatically foster such. I know plenty of people that are capable of wearing masks even in small groups. Shoot, I have family members that wear masks even with me, and I've lived with them for years.

2005/11/19 22:43Profile
ravin

Washington st. u.S. A.

My house 8-)
we were just over visting and sharing just to day and looking forward to doing more with others who want the more intimate feeling of a small group. the Spirit has a place for all who seek,and house church is a place for those who are looking to get to know one another and not just a face in the crowed. I feel there is room to move for the spirit and less time constrants.
its great and feel that everyone should try it,get to know and be apart of a home meeting.
you can always find a place in the body of Christ. God bless as you look for your place.

2005/11/19 23:03Profile
Roxi

Tallahassee, Florida

Re:

I actually attend a small fellowship on the campus of Florida State University. We are called the Ekklesia. There are about 15 of us and we meet once a week either on campus or at one of our houses and just read the Word and share what Christ is doing in our lives. Every Saturday evening all of us girls meet together to pray and read, and every Sunday evening we all (boys included):-) gather again to learn more of Christ. We try to do dinners every other Friday at someone's house to fellowship while we eat and then we hold a prayer meeting.
I have found that this type of fellowship is very edifying. It is amazing the things that we are able to learn from one another. However,the most important aspect of this fellowship is that we are of like mind. We all desire to be more like Christ and to be set apart for His glory.
I think it is crucial for those of you who may be looking for a church or thinking about starting your own home church. We must be of like mind and united in the spirit of Christ. There can not be mixture or divisions.
One last thing about our fellowship, Exodus 33 has always been the cry of our hearts, ‘If Your presence does not go with us, do not lead us up from here. For how then can it be known that I have found favor in Your sight . . . is it not by Your going with us, so that we, I and Your people, may be distinguished from all the other people who are upon the face of the earth?’"

If anyone is ever in the area (Tallahassee, FL) and would like to join our fellowship please feel free to contact us. fsu_ekklesia@hotmail.com

Roxi :-) :-)

2005/11/21 21:08Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Thanks everyone for sharing thus far. It's great to hear what God is doing in home churches and how people are having and genuine experience of the fellowship of saints. One question I would have also is how is the stability of teaching? what method do you use or teaching style? is there an expository reading and teaching of the word of God? have you noticed any excesses etc?

Do any of your groups have any accountability, ie a network of home churches?

2005/11/21 21:25Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

My church home began as a house church. We now rent out a church building in Northern Virginia in a little town called Woodbridge.

I'm part of what is called "The National Prayer Chapel" and we're about 20 miles south of Washington DC if anyone is interested. We have a website at www.livingwaterradio.com.

We have corporate prayer meetings before the services begin and Friday night prayer meeting as well. If anyone is interested in attending, they can email me at habakkuk3revivalnow@yahoo.com. The prayer meetings have been very convicting and the Holy Spirit is teaching us to be "real" with one another.

It's been an incredible blessing to be a part of this fellowship and the power of the Word to cut through everything and get to my heart. For that, all I can say is thank you Jesus....

2005/11/21 21:29Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

The church of which I am a part began as a home church. Most of the places where I preach had similar beginnings. Some remain, in essence, home churches even when they have moved into special premises. We are not technically 'accountable' to any 'network' although we enjoy good fellowship with some who share our viewpoint on many things.

2005/11/22 4:34Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy