Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : how do you know if u really are repenting

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
luckyd

tx

how do you know if u really are repenting

ive changed my Lifestlye alot because god has made me a new creation. i have preached to people at times and im no longer angry like i used to be. ive really changed. the only thing is that i dont know if ive actually repented or given my life to jesus cus i was thinking... i cheat on tests sometimes and i lie sometimes(welll cheating would be lying) but i also lie by telling the teacher im going to the restroom and instead i go to a different class to say hi to friends. i hope this doesnt sound stupid or something but i guess im just trying to say that theres sins that are hard to realise ur doing like lying about the restroom and does this mean i havent given my life to christ and could go to hell...

2005/11/18 22:01Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: how do you know if u really are repenting

Hi friend,

If God has made you a new creation in Christ Jesus then the old things have passed away and all things have become new. Are you daily reading the bible and praying (not just things but relationally with God?). If you are a new creation then you will start to dislike those things you once enjoyed and have more fulfillment in doing the will of God. If you are still being dis-honest and cheating blatantly then you should feel convicted and know its wrong. The promise stands:

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and ust to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9)

I would also say that we need to abide in Jesus more and if you are abiding in Him then you will not want to sin. "Prayer will make a man cease from sin, or sin will entice a man to cease from prayer" - John Bunyan.

"And now, little children, [b]abide in him[/b]; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming." (1 John 2:28).

2005/11/18 22:07Profile
dohzman

Re:

I once heard a very wise man say, "if we would but pray this prayer of 30 days and mean it everything would take care of itself". The prayer is simple. Daily just simply ask Jeus to change you. "Change me Lord".

The rest will take care of itself :-)

2005/11/19 0:42Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I just got this from chip brodgen it speak to the life being crucified with Christ:

"For I determined to not know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and Him crucified" (I Corinthians 2:2).

Religion seeks to reform a man; the Cross seeks to crucify him. Religion may fail to bring about the desired result, but the Cross never fails to achieve its end. Mankind will pursue morality, virtue, spirituality, even perform religious works and good deeds, in order to avoid death on a Cross. But there are no wounds, no scars, no evidence of having ever died and been made alive unto God. Either a man has never died, or he has died and been raised again. You cannot fake a resurrection.

The Cross is the means by which God reduces us to Christ, that we may be raised to new Life. What cannot be accomplished in a lifetime of self-effort is easily accomplished in God through the Cross. We may take many shortcuts along the way and attempt to escape the inevitable, but the day we cease striving and meekly accept the Cross we find everything is done for us. In fact, death by crucifixion cannot be accomplished by suicide. We cannot crucify ourselves. The instrument of our death is chosen for us, as well as the manner in which it is carried out, the timing and the duration of the execution - all is controlled by Another. There is nothing to be done, for we must submit to the Unseen Hand and cast ourselves completely upon Him.

2005/11/19 0:47Profile
dann

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Re:

Greg - great posts brother, I think you really hit the mark.

"In fact, death by crucifixion cannot be accomplished by suicide. We cannot crucify ourselves."

Amen.

2005/11/19 1:23Profile
dohzman

One Last thing

Our lives are to be to the Glory of God. Repentance is a daily walk where we set our hearts to glorify God in our world (day to day life). I would suggest that you spend time in His Word and keep your mind focused on Jesus and what you're reading in His Word.

2005/11/19 1:51Profile
ShirHashirim

I think its great that the Lord is working in and through you! and its also good that you have a conviction about those things! now, you cant be a new creation without repentance. Sounds to me like now that you know these things are wrong, you need to cry out to God for help in those areas and just willingly surrender under His Lordship. "If ye love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15) and remember that His thoughts are not your thoughts and your ways are not His ways (Isaiah 55:8) "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD." No human can give you an assurance that you are going to heaven. you need to personally take that up with the Lord. Remember that we are saved by grace through FAITH... and that there is no condemnation in Jesus but at the same time any branch that does not bare fruit will be cut off. I would have to agree that you should just soak up the Word of God because it will change you. The Word and prayer! this verse came to my mind, its in Romans 12:2 "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God" you renew your mind through the Word of God. i really hope that the Lord will continue reveal Himself to you that you might follow and love Him with all your heart, mind, soul and body!

2005/11/19 2:26Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Repentance is a lifestyle....

I used to believe that repentance was not something that had to be constantly exercised. As the Holy Spirit has put His finger on things, I've been repenting quite a long time.

Lay down all sin and surrender to Jesus and as the Holy Spirit exposes things in your heart lay it down. It is God's kindness that leads to repentance. It's not an emotion, not a warm fuzzy feeling, not a intellectual understanding.

God wants to eradicate all the sin in your heart. Praise God, let the work begin.

2005/11/19 10:24Profile
Gery

Dear friend

The reason these lies are bothering you, is because lies are of the devil and a child of God must not lie. To repent means to finally and completely change your mind about the life you used to live, to turn away from it 180 degrees.
"For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil" 1Jo 3:8
Call out to God concerning this sin in your life. Sin separates us from the Lord. If you fall, get up immediately! Don't hesitate! Confess it and believe that He has forgiven you.
Read 1John. Psalm 139

In His love,
Gery

2005/11/19 16:52Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

luckyd, whenver you ask the question like you just did, it should teach you that there is more to be repented of. You appear to have a teachable spirit and as long as you have that, you will continue in your repentence and growth in the LORD. When you start defending and arguing for your sins you have a problem.

Yes, it is like one poster said: repentence is a lifestyle. Which means you may have to eat crow occasionally. The bottom line is to allow the Holy Spirit to completely clean you up from the inside out. When you allow Him to clean you up, it is a whole lot easier them doing it all by yourself which results in a holier then thou attitude!

Blesings to you,
ginnyrose

2005/11/20 9:53Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy