SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : False Revivals

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
tacklebox

Roanoke Rapids, NC

False Revivals

[font=Arial]For every legitimate working of God, I am convinced that Satan has a counterfeit.[/font]

[b][font=Courier]Counterfeit - made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive. [/font][/b](Merriam-Webster Dictionary)

We hear all the time about false prophets, but what about [color=CC3300]false revivals[/color]?

We hear about amazing "crusades" where thousands make "decisions for Christ" in this country, yet the nation continues to degenerate into the most wicked culture the earth has seen since the fall of Rome.

Why is it that only 3,000 people got saved (a small number compared to many "revivals" today) yet they turned the world upside down? The impact of those converts was so intense and the fire that was kindled at Pentecost was so great that God dispersed them. The fire began to spark everywhere.

One of the characteristics of counterfeits - they are always grand. Let me explain: When criminals make counterfeit bills, they usually chose large denominations - 50's or 100's. That way it's minimal work for more gain, and that's exactly what exists with modern evangelism and counterfeit revivals - minimum work for more gain.

I just visited a webpage I found by typing "revival.com" - just to see what it was. It turned out to be a webpage for a ministry that boasts of 48,459 "decisions made for Christ" in one crusade alone. To quote Ravenhill, "I don't believe it for one minute."

What are some of your thoughts on false revivals, and what needs to be done about them?

[color]

2005/11/14 20:36Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: False Revivals

Quote:
What are some of your thoughts on false revivals, and what needs to be done about them?

I believe that much that is called revival is not revival at all. And as wise galmius stated if it be of God you will find yourself fighting against God. I would rather debunk or expose false revival but would rather try and promote genuine true revival. In the words of Paris Reidhead speaking of an humanistic broken down evangelical church: "I don't see how God can revive it". I do think there is going to be change and much of what is talked about revival is slowly dis-apating and going away.

I was talking to some people that have experienced a certain revival movement for 10 years. But my question to them was "are the lost saved? is the society transformed?"

"But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why doest thou set another at nought thy brother? for we shall [b]all[/b] stand before the judgement seat of Christ." -Romans 14:10

I am beleiving with all my heart for God to move in my life and for genuine revival to happen. I will leave the men who say they are experiencing revival and let them give account to before God. God will set the order straight and we will see who is still left standing in that day, what an awful day that will be; awful in majesty, awful in judgement; awful in holiness. May we be prepared for that day.

Let us set our hands to the plow and be agents of [b]genuine[/b] revival. God can do more through one man with genuine revival then satan can do through 100's with the false and spurious.

2005/11/14 20:45Profile

Quote:

tacklebox wrote:
Why is it that only 3,000 people got saved (a small number compared to many "revivals" today) yet they turned the world upside down? The impact of those converts was so intense and the fire that was kindled at Pentecost was so great that God dispersed them. The fire began to spark everywhere.

One of the characteristics of counterfeits - they are always grand. Let me explain: When criminals make counterfeit bills, they usually chose large denominations - 50's or 100's. That way it's minimal work for more gain, and that's exactly what exists with modern evangelism and counterfeit revivals - minimum work for more gain.

PROFOUND INSIGHT!! I never thought of it that way.
Wonderful!! :-)

2005/11/15 0:22
ccchhhrrriiisss

Hi tacklebox...

Well said! This is the rationale behind Ray Comfort's efforts (and subsequent book and message, "[i]Hell's Best Kept Secret[/i])."

The church that I previously attended (an Assembly of God congregation) somehow became caught up in the "modern" understanding of "revival." Of course, their results were always on either [i]physical manifestations[/i] or [i]numbers of conversions (or numbers of those in attendance)[/i]. A few years ago, they recorded a total of 1200 salvations within the services of the Church. The [i]Power Team[/i] came twice, along with "services" featuring several famous preachers, famous musical groups and multiple series of "revival meetings." Sure, there were "lots" of physical manifestations, tears, and visits to the "altar." But the funny thing is that the Church had about 650 people going into that year, and about 600 at the end of the year.

God help the true Church to get their eyes off of the supposed manifestations of "revival" and onto Christ! Otherwise, in my opinion, a revival is not "real."

:-)

2005/11/15 13:51Profile

Re:

There are several HUGE revivals (real ones) going on in different places around the world... especially in South America. But the church in the U.S. is too self centered to notice. We think if it isnt happening here in the heartland, it must not be happening at all.

There are no true revivals happening in America, at least not on the scale that they were 200 years ago. I believe individual church bodies may be experiencing revival among their people, but there are no legitimate large scale revivals.

Someone is bound to say "What about Brownsville, or Toronto?" There is so much false doctrine and down right heresy involved with those two churches that I do not believe for a minute that they are of God.

America is too rich and fat to have a revival right now. Historically revival most often occurs during times of tribulation. We dont know what tribulation is in this country... not by a long shot.

Krispy

2005/11/15 15:11
tacklebox

Roanoke Rapids, NC

Re:

"But those that [b]wait[/b] upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth." -Psalm 37:9 (emphasis added)

"But they that [b]wait[/b] upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." -Isaiah 40:31 (emphasis added)

"Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place?
He that hath [b]clean hands[/b], and a [b]pure heart[/b]; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity ([i]things temporal[/i]), nor sworn deceitfully.
He [b]shall[/b] receive the blessing from the LORD, and righteousness from the God of his salvation."
-Psalm 24:3-5 (emphasis and commentary added)

Waiting upon the Lord to bring the harvest - that's what's missing among the majority of evangelistic efforts today. We plan and organize and we schedule - as if the Spirit of God can be penciled in. These mass crusades - I'm not saying that God cannot use them to further His Kingdom, but I wonder how much more God can use those that wait upon Him and rest in His strength and power. I am not saying that we should lie around and do nothing - no, for the Scriptures remind us to "Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise" (Proverbs 6:6) We should be busy about the Father's business, but that's just it - our work must be the FATHER's business. And one certainly canoot be about the business of one he doesn't speak with often and known intimately.

Some modern "evangelists" seem so busy about business that they leave the Father entirely out of it, and it becomes this mechanical, loud but lifeless thing that has an appearance of holiness, but this wicked and adulterous generation heeds not the words of Christ when He said, "Judge not according to the appearance, but judge [b]righteous[/b] judgment." (John 7:24, emphasis added)

Paul warns against those who, "glory in appearance, and not in heart" (2 Cor. 5:12.)

I don't blame these false evangelists as much as I do the Church of Jesus Christ for not flooding the world with so much of the real thing that people won't settle for less!

"My people are destroyed for [b]lack of knowledge[/b]: because thou hast [b]rejected[/b] knowledge, I will also [b]reject[/b] thee, that [b]thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God[/b], I will also forget thy children.
As they were increased, so they sinned against me: therefore will I change their glory into [b]shame[/b].
They eat up the sin of my people, and [b]they set their heart on their iniquity[/b].
And there shall be, like people, like priest: and [b]I will punish them for their ways[/b], and reward them their doings.
For they shall eat, and not have enough: they shall commit whoredom, and shall not increase: [b]because they have left off to take heed to the LORD[/b].
-Hosea 4:6-11 (emphasis added)

"Awake, awake; put on thy strength, O Zion; put on thy beautiful garments, O Jerusalem, the holy city: for henceforth there shall no more come into thee the uncircumcised and the unclean." -Isaiah 52:1

"[b]Awake to righteousness, and sin not[/b]; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to [b]your[/b] shame." -1 Cor. 15:34 - Notice the command is to awake to RIGHTEOUSNESS and SIN NOT - not to awake to Bible Studies, not to awake to Church Growth Conferences, not to awake to the lastest book by a popular preacher, not to awake to an altar call, not to awake to organized evangelism - AWAKE TO [b]RIGHTEOUSNESS AND SIN NOT[/b]!!!
That's what'll bring revival - for the church to awaken to RIGHTEOUSNESS and to stop breaking God's laws - to stop singing praise songs one hour and then pay people to break the Sabbath the next hour by going to some restaurant - to stop preaching sermons and start living sermons - to stop talking about revival and start having revival.

The church cannot expect the world to be reached by revival until itself has revival! How can someone sleeping awaken a dead man!? How can demons be cast out with a voice that blesses God but also curses Him? (James 3:10) How can the outside be reached while staying in bed? AWAKE to RIGHTEOUSNESS and SIN NOT!

-Chris

2005/11/16 10:22Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy