SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Making the most of your time

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Making the most of your time

I have to give you a example before I ask the question.

Today, (this is only one example), in my church, I felt led to read a scripture out loud on 'waiting on God' because everyone seemed on wanting God to show up in 10 mins (even if they waited before then).

I went to the prayer meeting before service and everyone was praying there own prayers, but no real power to 'move the heavens' or 'Jesus Prayers' or in some ways 'prophetic prayers'. And the leader of the meeting is like 'wait till you receive a word from God' and in my mind (knowledge from my spirit) im like "Fyi, you'll be waiting longer than this meeting allows". (this was to myself).

So then, church started. Our lead worshipper had to speak AND lead worship (alot on his plate). So like we started to worship, and there was a long silence and God is lightly pulling on my heart to say it, and im like 'i have about 30 more seconds to say it and i've missed my opportunity'. Well, I ended up missing it and thought nothing about it. But, then something changed in the 'air'. Something like posion was released. Everyone was anxious just like in the prayer meeting. Because, I felt 'out of place' to say this message (due to, i have a few peopel who don't like me in the church :-? and also our Senior Pastor wasn't there and it seemed like in the 'natural' they weren't ready to receive it (i was wrong..))

So, I opened my bible and i read this.

2 Kings 4:38-44 (NASB) *This was the version I read it in*

38 When Elisha returned to Gilgal, there was a famine in the land As the sons of the prophets were sitting before him, he said to his servant, "Put on the large pot and boil stew for the sons of the prophets."

39 Then one went out into the field to gather herbs, and found a wild vine and gathered from it his lap full of wild gourds, and came and sliced them into the pot of stew, for they did not know what they were.

40 So they poured it out for the men to eat. And as they were eating of the stew, they cried out and said, "O man of God, there is death in the pot." And they were unable to eat.

41 But he said, "Now bring meal." He threw it into the pot and said, "Pour it out for the people that they may eat." Then there was no harm in the pot.

42 Now a man came from Baal-shalishah, and brought the man of God bread of the first fruits, twenty loaves of barley and fresh ears of grain in his sack. And he said, "Give them to the people that they may eat."

43 His attendant said, "What, will I set this before a hundred men?" But he said, "Give them to the people that they may eat, for thus says the LORD, 'They shall eat and have some left over.'"

44 So he set it before them, and they ate and had some left over, according to the word of the LORD.

After I read this im like 'huh?' And I had to re-read it. A group of people gathered together a stew. Accidently posioned it, and then the 'prophet' cleaned it by added the meal to it and then everyone ate.

I had 'posioned' my congregation by NOT saying the word that God had given to me. Out of 'nervious-ness' and the reasons above (read up). But, near the end of worship, the 'air' changed back to normal and the people seemed to get their focus back on God because the 'prophet' (lead worshipper, also im referring to the scripture and the symbolic appliance in this situation) did something to 'redeem' the worship and focus on Him.

I cried after reading that scripture. I just wanted to wail, I couldn't contain the pain within me for witholding that. I never knew that it would cause any harm to 'refrain' the message God gave me. I then, went to another church after my service, and boy, I learned my lession and just followed God's leading. Words, discernment, whatever it was, I spoke with carefulness and power. I was not willing to make the same mistake again.

Now, after I wept, after reading the scripture the second time. God says 'Josh, I've forgiven you, but this is a lesson' (to something of that nature) And I really started beating myself up about this but then God is like 'Josh, if you don't stand up, your gonna stay where you are, and not be where you want to be (spiritually speaking)' So, I debated for a while (30 seconds) and stood.

So, before your replies. First off I want to make a few things clear. One, I felt terrible about this. Two, God's grace has been extended and has forgiven me. Three, this is not about 'words/discernment' but instead about 'making the most of your time'. Four, what I did, through my hesistation was 'quenched the Spirit'.

So, I'm asking everyone who has any insight about this. Please point to me SCRIPTURE about this. *I have no doubt that it was God speaking to me, but I'd just like to have some scriptures to 'chew' on for a little bit*

2005/11/13 20:11

Re: Making the most of your time

I'm still looking for advice. 40 seen, no repiles :-P

2005/11/18 9:10

Hi Joshua,

I think part of the reason some people don't have anything to say is, they don't go to a church which offers 'free worship' as a format.

But, that is what I was 'brought up with' in the Spirit, in house-fellowships, so I know exactly what you mean about the combination of leading, conviction the leading is from God and the courage to share. That's quite a package by itself; then you have to add your point - the [i]timing[/i]. And really, that takes a combination of practise and good leadership.

If the leadership is 'right' for the job, then they may have a sense that someone is holding back something, and guide the meeting to wait until the point has been shared or prayed out. Sometimes, it is the gift of interpretation which is being waited upon, after someone has given a tongue.

Now you asked for scripture.... It seems to me that the famous chapters in 1 Corinthians (12 and 14) are about 'order' in this sort of environment. In other words, the opposite to what you experienced in your service when no-one else was bringing anything else forward and you had the word and you weren't bringing it forward either. It's a bit of an 'ouch' situation, that...

In Corinthians, I think Paul was trying to show that people could wait for each other to finish, before trying to say their 'bit' from God, whatever it was.

The other great scriptural examples (Revelation springs to mind) show worshippers in such unity of purpose that they are all singing the same song.

2005/11/18 15:49
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

Hi Joshua,

In our church, we have an hour of prayer before the service. We call it "the corporate prayer closet."

One person at a time prays as the Spirit quickens a word into our hearts. My suggestion to you is to simply obey the Holy Spirit. If you pray because there's an awkward silence of sorts, then that's a very poor reason to pray. On the other hand, if your heart has been quickened and you refuse to pray that would also grieve the Holy Spirit.

2005/11/18 16:40Profile

Re:

Quote:

If you pray because there's an awkward silence of sorts, then that's a very poor reason to pray. On the other hand, if your heart has been quickened and you refuse to pray that would also grieve the Holy Spirit.

It seems that you should re-read what I orginally wrote.

I went to the prayer meeting, that's what we prayed for. BUT, something was different, God wanted us to wait, and people were just praying on their own strength, nothing powerful. but still seeking that Power that is within His Kingdom.

I wrote 'I greived the Spirit' and I also wrote "can you please give me some scriptures about being a 'steward' of your time".

;-)

2005/11/18 23:26

Here's some more scripture about how we should spend out time when we're not meeting with other Christians. If we [i]do[/i] this, then when we are all together, there should be no shortage of contributions from the saints.

Ephesians 5
15 See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, 16 redeeming the time, because the days are evil.

17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but [u][b]understanding[/b] what the will of the Lord is[/u].

18 And [u]be not drunk with wine[/u], wherein is excess; [b]but be filled with the Spirit[/b]; 19 [u][b]speaking to yourselves[/b] in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, [b]singing and making melody[/b] in your heart to the Lord; 20 [b]giving thanks always[/b] for all things unto God and the Father[/u] [b]in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ[/b];

Colossians 3
12 [b]Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; [/b]13 [b]forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye[/b].

14 [b]And above all these things put on charity[/b], [u]which is the bond of [b]perfectness[/u].

[/b]15 [b]And [u]let[/b] the peace of God rule in your hearts[/u], to the which also ye are called in one body; [b]and be ye thankful[/b].

16 [b][u]Let[/u] the word of Christ [u]dwell[/u] in you[/b] richly in all wisdom; [u]teaching[/u] and [u]admonishing [b]one another[/b] in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs[/u], [b]singing with grace[/b] in your hearts [u]to the Lord[/u].

17 [b]And whatsoever ye do in word or deed[/b], [u]do all in the name of the Lord Jesus[/u], [b]giving thanks to God and the Father [u]by him[/b][/u].

2005/11/20 6:07

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy