SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Life History of Ravenhill

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Sir_Edward

Michigan

Life History of Ravenhill

Has anyone written a biography on Ravenhill worth reading? I am particularly interested in his street preaching days but I want to know about the man that I hear preach with such passion.

Blessings.

2005/11/10 21:54Profile
tacklebox

Roanoke Rapids, NC

Re: Life History of Ravenhill

Greg Gordon mentioned to me that he would love to compile such a book. I told him if he does, I want to be among the first to know about it.

I personally have searched, but I haven't found any such book. I know you've probably seen it already, but the video interview with Ravenhill here on this site provides some great insight.

-Chris

2005/11/10 22:12Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

There is a biography of Maynard James writtne by his son, Paul James which has fairly frequent references to Ravenhill's earlier days. James was the leader of a group of four men who were involved in 'missions'. The pattern of the day was to call these 'Treks' and they would travel to different parts of the country pulling a hard-cart and sleeping on the floors of church halls. They held evangelistic services in church building and on the streets. Ravenhill's openair preaching would have been part of these missions. They began a denomination called 'Calvary Holiness Church' was was later absorbed into the Church of the Nazarene.

Maynard James and Leonard Ravenhill were in regular correspondence with each other until the death of James. Their paths of service separated with Ravenhill's move to the states but they always remained in each other's hearts.

There are a couple of the Maynard James biography available second hand on the
[url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0860714217/qid%3D1131696915/202-1074407-5085418]UK Amazon site.[/url]

2005/11/11 3:13Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Sounds very interesting Ron, I ordered 1 of the books there are 2 left now :-P I am pretty excited about possibly doing more of an in depth study of the life of ravenhill and possible get to the point of being able to write an biography. This book is sure a great step in that direction!

2005/11/11 8:15Profile
Sir_Edward

Michigan

Re:

We need a biography and so if anyone is going to work on writing one I would gladly support it.

I would be very interested in this because sometimes you can understand better where a man is coming from when you know where he has been. Ravenhill that we hear is in his eighties with a fully develop doctrine and teaching. We know little of a lot of other things in his life. I think a fully develop biography would help with understanding the man to better understand the passion with which he preaches.

Blessings

2005/11/12 9:07Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

It would be great if one of the Ravenhill sons took up writing about their father. I would love to write one too :)

2005/11/12 12:20Profile
Jslimbaugh

Grace and Peace...

A friend of mine who knows the Ravenhill's wrote a book several years back about famous street preachers and evangelists.

He wanted to include a chapter about Len Ravenhill, but was denied permission by the family. They said that Len didn't really like to be written about and they just didn't want to have to deal with trying to ensure that his legacy was handled properly.

I can give you guys something that I think you'll enjoy, though. After Len passed away, this friend was visiting with Len's late wife, Martha. He asked Martha about the miraculous in Len's ministry. She replied, "Everything that is in the Bible, we saw." She went on to give testimonies about blind eyes being opened and cripples rising from wheelchairs.

My friend asked, "Why did he never write about any of it or testify to it in his preaching." Martha responded, "Because he was into talking about Jesus...he wasn't into talking about himself."

What a lesson for us all.

Blessings!
Jason

2005/11/16 0:58Profile
jamccor

New Jersey

Re:

I too would love to have a book on Leonard. I was emailing David Ravenhill awhile back and he sent me a picture of his family from the fifties. He said that a friend of his found it before David even knew it existed.If Greg would like to post it, I can email it to him.
GOD Bless
John

2008/1/22 10:30Profile
brentw

Ohio

I have spoken to Debbie Ravenhill, lens grandaughter and she told me that Len WAS writting a auto biography of himself, but never finished before his death. She said they (the family) were trying decide what to do with it.

Len was also working on "why revival tarries II" but never got to finish that...they were also trying to decide if they would make it public.
I've tried to get my hands on it to read copies of it.

I was blessed to speak to Martha Ravenhill after Lens death and she said that every person who had cancer that Len prayed for WAS healed.

I would take ALOT of research to write a book on him...he traveled the world to preach the gospel.

2008/1/22 10:51Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi brentw...

Quote:
Len was also working on "why revival tarries II" but never got to finish that...they were also trying to decide if they would make it public.
I've tried to get my hands on it to read copies of it.

Yes, he told me this when I visited him shortly before his death (or "promotion"). It would be interesting to read both of these works, especially if they were anywhere near completion.

If someone does endeavor to research and write a biography of this man, they need to do so quickly. He was quite elderly, and many of the "eyewitnesses" of his life and ministry are not getting any younger. But what a blessing such a detailed account of this man's life and faith would be to the rest of us! Some of the most powerful Christian books, in my opinion, have been biographical (either a detailed biography or autobiography). I remember weeping as I read about Finny's conversion in his own words! I remember weeping as I read Melody Green's account of her husband's faith!

An account about Brother Ravenhill would be extremely inspiring!

:-)

By the way, Brother Ravenhill told me that "Why Revival Tarries II" would be dedicated to those of us who read the first book -- but failed to do anything about it. Ouch!

2008/1/22 11:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy