SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Modern dress

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Wow! You are a very nice looking young man! I'll bet your mother is pleased to claim you as her son!

ginyrose

2005/11/10 18:01Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

Indeed happy bday Eli! You look neatly dressed!

I have a suit too, but its so expensive (for me) that I won't use it much. :-)
My limited experience with this kind of clothing: "wow the pants are lightweigth!
The shoes are not quite as comfortable as sneakers."

Perhaps I should try a combo, sneakers and that stuit pants. :-P

Bit more serious now; About not being offensive to others, I do wear so called 'witness bands'.
One with a cross on it and another with a cross and 'Christ for Life, John 10:10' on it.
I can imagine that some non-christians find that offensive (perhaps christians too?). I would like to have some nice 'christian' shirts too, but they are so expensive.

What do you people think of that, regarding the 'offensive' part?
It's not that physically wearing Christ's name on your body makes you a better Christian tho.

2005/11/10 18:09Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Modern dress

Somehow we have strayed off onto some rabbit trails since my original post.

Originally, my concern was the lack of femininity among females. Perhaps I need to restate my concern by inserting a little history: Before the Beatle era girls took pride in how they dressed. This, however, was changing with the event of the hippie era. Youth were rebelling against the establishment, provoked by the Vietnam war. They declared they knew better then the older foks, saying they were hypocrical. The youth were asking good questions, however, they also intimidated the older generation who surrendered their leadership to the rebels who said if it feels good, do it!

This mentality spilled into the church. Soon you have a lot of young people who were doing their own thing, sinning with no shame. They borrowed the world's music, christianed it with religious lyrics. Now you had the world very comfortable in the meetinghouse. Anyone who would raise a voice of concern was silenced because he/she was not being loving. (I remember reading a book over 30 years ago admonishing how people should be more loving. I took it to heart and did as encuraged to do . However, later "Christianity Today" magazine identified the writer as a lesbian.)

Now to my point: how does a female deal with the guilt when she feels like damaged, used goods? Popular opinion said if it feels good, do it. They did it and what is the result? Lost virginity,abortions, babies out of weedlock, shame but no shame..after all the celebrities do it and look at the admiration they get from the people. Now it seems to me the slovenness of females reflects their feeling of self worth, but these feeling have been silenced because it is now accepted to be sloppy. Women were made by God to be the one who will spread beauty in her environment. The male is the protector and provider of and for the female. Somehow, the roles have become confused, females wanting to be and act like males and doing a bum job of it. And males are confused about how thy are to act in this tossed-up, mixed up world.

I am encouraged when I read of females who are speaking up and declaring their independance of the worlds morals. And a white-haired (and believe it or not, but I did have brown hair not so many years ago) grandmother has to be careful what she says, even if is complimentary, lest she be considered old-fashioned because a grandmother likes it!

This is my observation and wish input about this and not about the males wearing denim! ;-)

ginnyrose

2005/11/10 18:36Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Groh frog,

I am not angry. I am just sad because as I see it young girls are being destroyed and the evidence is how they dress because it goes against the nature of a godly female, one made and created in the image of God!

Why do females find it difficult to stand up and say : I am thankful to be a female! God made me so and I will celebrate it by being one, acting like one and dressing like one. Gender confusion was an abomination in the OT, and has this ever changed in the NT era? Sloppy dress seems to indicate a low feeling of self worth and for this I am sad. Seems to me if the males were to encourage the young girls, perhaps this could be reversed?

ginnyrose

2005/11/10 18:51Profile
groh_frog

Re:

hey, ginny.

Talking about immodest female dress, I completely agree with you. It is sad to see the "look what I've got" clothing on a person, especially when it's someone that claims to live for something more, not of this world.

I wrote about my wife. She is, in so many ways, a hero. And this is one of those. She is always modest in dress when we go out. Whe won't even wear her sweats to drive to our local store a couple of blocks away, even if just to pick up some milk, etc. Why? Too form-fitting.

I also wrote about makeup. Now, she has some eyeliner, but rarely wears it. Why? Because I love her the way she is, and that's good enough for her.

But more and more, this is a rare thing among our churchgoing women: modesty. And it's nothing new, it's just changing.

I reference the makeup specifically because I believe it's vanity just the same as a man dressing up can be: What's the motive?

Now, like said, I don't believe you should be judged on how you dress to church, but at times I do dress a little more formally, when I'm handing out tracts, etc. Could makeup be a similar tool- even in getting people to take a tract from you? yes. I think so.

But what I want to say is that this in an intergeneration thing. But you've got to weigh your own heart in this. I'm sure there's some women who will fight to the death over thier makeup- it can give them a confidence they might not otherwise have. And this is something that is often encouraged by the men. Something for us to work on.

So again, immodest dress? I don't like it at all. But too often, we enourage it, also.

Grace and Peace...

2005/11/11 5:40Profile
Laineye

belfast, Nothern Ireland

Re:

As a result of allowing God's word to fill me and understanding the revelation of God's love for me, I have begun to dress in a more feminine manner since I got saved and walked with God. I know that God doesn't love me anymore because I wear a skirt or not but I think as Ginny rose said its about respect. Before my converstion I had little or no respect for myself and dressed accordingly, trying to attract etc. Falling in love with Jesus has affected me from the inside out. No one had to tell me to change what I wore, I just started to change the more & more I got to know God through His word. Ps 45 speaks of the King's daughter being all glorious within and her clothing being of wrought gold. King David's daughters wore garments that distingished them and marked them as such. We serve the King of Kings I think that especially as young people we should set examples of modesty and respect for ourselves in our dress. I don't want to get hung up on it or judge anyone for their appearence, but the world and especially the young are looking for something other than they know. I think being clean, tidy and respectfully dressed can have more of an impact than what we think..... God Bless You Ginny, we could do with listening to more "gray heads" coz unless Christ returns we're going to be gray heads some day too and wish that young people would at least consider what life's long experience has taught :-)

2005/11/11 8:42Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

God Bless you! Laineye, your testimony is so refreshing!

Recently a friend emailed me a long article by Dr. S. M. Davis, "The Language of the Christian's Clothing". It is very long, but what I did read, it was very enlightening and you might find encouraging. I did find it on the web and here is the link:
http://www.nathhan.com/clothing.htm

GOd bless you, my dear, in your walk with the LORD. He is a delightful Master, don't you think?!:-D

ginnyrose

2005/11/11 9:45Profile
Laineye

belfast, Nothern Ireland

Re:

Ginny He's a Wonderful Saviour! Thanks for the link...... like you said what I read was good. I know of a group of young men in dublin, Ireland who are being saved out of a life of heroin & drug addiction.

They are causing quite a stare in the church they attend as they are getting saved and then attending the house of the Lord in their best suits!

The other believers are much more casually dressed so they're not copying what they see, simply allowing what's happened on the inside to be reflected on the outside in the best they have! Isn't that just the best testimony!

So much of the "dress" debate is focused on women but I was so blessed to hear that about the lads!

I suppose as with everything its an issue of the heart and when God does the work there, no man needs to tell you and it remains with you.

God Bless you my dear Ginny. chat to you again

2005/11/11 16:16Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Laineye,

This is a wonderful testimony! Much of the current fashions are inspired by those involved in the drug, immoral culture and why Christians want to follow it, is beyond me. Let a church speak to the issue, you will be labeled as legalistic, but people will change their style with no thought if the fashion industry so dictates.

But going to wearing suits,wow! ....I am so awed. PTL!

My nephew has struggled with rock music, hallucinogenic mushrooms, etc. He would repent only to fall back again...perhaps not as deep, but, yes, regress a bit at a time. This morning his mother called to let me know how he is really broken, repentant about his sins. So he started to 'clean house' by discarding all his Abercrombie & Fitch clothes - they burned them last night! They did NOT tell him he needed to do that, so where did he get that idea??! The Holy Spirit must have impressed that on his mind....Yes, God will teach his people how to dress if they will listen. Methinks people are afraid of that thinking God just might want them to dress ugly, dumpy. Seems to me this shows a ignorance of the nature of God....

Thanks for the post, Laineye,

ginnyrose

2005/11/11 21:48Profile
Sir_Edward

Michigan

Re:

Ginnyrose,
I have been watching this discussion with much interest for some time becasue it is something that does concern me as a pastor.

Because Your original question involves women and dress I will deal with that. Biblically the word is 'modest' dress, no costly array that draws attention to self but a humble heart and contrite spirit being of more value to the Lord. I remember in Bible college there was a young lady (and I would not use any other term for her but lady) Bethany was her name . I remember one thing about her that everyone noticed was her dress -- modest was the only way to describe it. This was the late 80's and early 90's (dated myself didn't I ;-) ) but she wore dresses that were always down to her mid calf or longer. I don't remember ever seeing any cleavage at all in the 4 years I knew her. I was married and I could tell you I appreciated as a young married man a woman that wasn't out to tempt me. In fact I don't remember thinking one sexual thought about her at all. Now this was not because she was ugly -- quite the opposite -- she was one of the most beautiful girls on campus, but that is as far as it went in most of our minds -- 'Bethany is a beautiful lady' was all I and every other guy thought. Smart too -- she was the only girl who survived two years of Greek with the 11 of us men who took the second year. The funny thing is every guy who was single tried at one time or another to go out with her. She turned them all down. She knew what they were after and she didn't trust them. Hung around married men for the most part and all our wives trusted her, 'because she doesn't dress like a tramp' was my wife's explanation.
I did an interview with her for a class project and the subject of dress came up. Her thoughts were that God is clear in his Word that modest for women so it was her goal to look beautiful but not in any way be 'sexy', she would save that for her husband after she got married. I asked her what advice she would give the young ladies on campus about dress. She said that every girl should go through their entire wardrobe and do two things 1) Put on every dress, blouse or shirt and stand in front of a mirror, bend over and look up -- if you see any cleavage (her words) dump the shirt, blouse or dress 2) Put on every skirt, dress and pair of pants (although she did say that every proper lady should only wear pants for work or such activity -- come to think of it I never saw her in class without a skirt or dress) , for the skirts and dresses sit in a chair in front of the same mirror and if you can't cover up what under the dress or skirt without crossing your legs than its too short and you need to dump it. For pants she said if they are so tight that nothing is left to the imagination as to what you backside looks like -- get rid of them. She said she only had one pair of jeans and she only wore those for work and preferable when there were no men around. She was a charming lady and one I wish I saw more of on campus. Most girls on campus throught this advice to 'prudish' or 'restricting' and yet when the best dressed catagory for the year came up for the girls -- she always won. She did get married to a man who was more interested in her call to missions than her body. He is a blessed man.

That said -- the last thing I want to see is a bunch of rules in church of how people should dress other than the word -- modest. The reason I reject the suit and tie thing is this -- smacks too much of corporate america -- the last person a unbeleiver saw in a suit and tie was probably a banker or morgage broker and it was a nervous expereince. I hit the putpit in nice slacks, good dress shoes and a nice (usually collarless or polo) shirt. When it is cold I add a jacket which usually leaves once I get preaching. ;-) Something about God burning you up that makes you warm. 8-) Overdressing in church makes us look unapproachable to some inside a church building. I know I asked some guest about it several different times. The last thing people want to attend is a church that judges them by how they dress or dresses like a bunch of stuff shirts. They are looking for church that will treat them like family. Besides I think is was Charles Parham that said once that ties were of the devil. ;-)

On the flip side of this is the fact I have seen some ladies and men too come to church is stuff that would make you blush (if Americans could do that anymore) I can't count the times that girls in church dress more like street girls than women of God. I am sorry, If I know everything about your body ladies except some intimate details only you husband should know than it is harlot wear. The thing I should note is the beauty you have not how sexy you are. Save that for your husband.

That's my two cents.

Blessings.

2005/11/12 8:43Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy