SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : William Tyndale being Burned Alive

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 William Tyndale being Burned Alive

[img]http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/myalbum/photos/thumbs/433.jpg[/img]

Description: William Tyndale was the Captain of the Army of Reformers, and was their spiritual leader. Tyndale holds the distinction of being the first man to ever print the New Testament in the English language. Tyndale was a true scholar and a genius, so fluent in eight languages that it was said one would think any one of them to be his native tongue. He is frequently referred to as the “Architect of the English Language”, (even more so than William Shakespeare) as so many of the phrases Tyndale coined are still in our language today.

Do we think this cannot happen again? Are we going to make a stand for the true Christian witness in Holiness, Righteousness and Truth?

2005/11/9 15:42Profile
_Disciple_

The Netherlands

Re: William Tyndale being Burned Alive

Quote:
Do we think this cannot happen again? Are we going to make a stand for the true Christian witness in Holiness, Righteousness and Truth?

"When you're pleasing the people, you are grieving God, but when you are pleasing God, you will grief the people"
-Leonard Ravenhill

This made me think, i haven't seen it happen, all i do know is that my dad experienced it almost in our previous church where he got kicked out.

But i think it is good to think about, but we must not do it to be stoned burned etc.

This i am saying because i preached a serveral times in our church and said some true and straight things, and expected that people would hate me or dislike me, but the opposite was true.

However this picture and description is very encouraging, to see they laid their life down for The Only Truth, Jesus Christ!!

2005/11/9 16:01Profile
bdog

Kansas City

I do believe that this will be happening again one day. Christ tells us that those who follow Him will be hated. This has not come to it's fulfillment yet, I believe. There is coming a day that a Christian will not be able to speak publicly and not endure persecution from those that hear. Tyndale is one of many that are under the altar of our Lord found in Rev. 6:9. And there will be many more.

2005/11/15 13:25Profile

Has anyone else read God's Outlaw, the biography of William Tyndale?

As I remember it, he was strangled last thing before the fire was lit (He died on the Continent, having completed his translation in prison).

People were being/had been burned alive in England, though.

2005/11/15 13:42
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

I haven't read this book but purchased another entitled "Obedience of a Christian Man." It was a bit of a difficult read for me.

I also read Tyndale's New Testament for those who enjoy the KJV should definitely get a copy. It's amazing to me how much of the KJV is actually Tyndale.

I was surprised, but I'm not much of a historian.

2005/11/15 13:54Profile
tacklebox

Roanoke Rapids, NC

If burning for God becomes literal, may God give me the courage to share in His sufferings.

What a sober reminder that life-ending persecution isn't limited to the uncivilized world. Thanks for posting, Greg.

-Chris

2005/11/15 13:58Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy