Texas pastor electrocuted during baptism
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
WACO, Texas -- A pastor performing a baptism was electrocuted inside his
church Sunday morning after adjusting a nearby microphone while standing in
water, a church employee said.
The Rev. Kyle Lake, 33, was stepping into the baptistery as he reached out
for the microphone, which produced an electric shock, said University
Baptist Church community pastor Ben Dudley.
Water in a baptistery usually reaches above the waist, said Byron
Weathersbee, interim university chaplain at Baylor University.
Lake was pronounced dead at Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center, nursing
supervisor Pat Mahl said. The woman being baptized apparently had not
stepped into the water and was not seriously injured.
Pastors at University Baptist Church routinely use a microphone during
baptisms, said Jamie Dudley, the wife of Ben Dudley and a business
administrator at the church.
"He was grabbing the microphone so everyone could hear," she said. "It's the
only way you can be loud enough."
About 800 people attended the morning service, which was larger than normal
because it was homecoming weekend at nearby Baylor University, Dudley said.
Lake had been at the church for nine years, the last seven as pastor. He had
a wife, Jennifer, a 5-year-old daughter and two 3-year-old sons.
At a remembrance attended by about 1,000 people Sunday night at First
Baptist Church, Ben Dudley told the UBC congregation that they would move
forward as a church.
"I don't know how, when, why, where or what's going to happen, but we will
continue as a church in the community because that is what Kyle would have
wanted," he said.
a Jesus freak