SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : be mean to a non christian?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Wildhorse

Australia

Re:

What i meant by not being aggressive is, don't attack people directly for not being Christians, don't swear at them, don't yell at them, don't mock them and don't insult them.

Be forceful sometimes if you have too, but that is different than being out right horrible. You do need to show compassion though during witness opportunity.

2005/11/3 17:22Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Krispy,

I do not want to offend you because I know you do not like other translations, but the NASB uses the word strife instead of debate. When I used to debate I worked hard to argue my point, leaving the opponent speechless. So I won the battle but not the war. I will still defend what I believe is right but will not become emotional, angry.

One can have a good discussion, disagree without resorting to name calling and getting angry. Seems to me when you find your anger rising you are moving into the debate/strife mode.

Just my thoughts...

ginnyrose

2005/11/3 22:40Profile

Re:

Quote:
Krispy,

I do not want to offend you because I know you do not like other translations, but the NASB uses the word strife instead of debate. When I used to debate I worked hard to argue my point, leaving the opponent speechless. So I won the battle but not the war. I will still defend what I believe is right but will not become emotional, angry.

One can have a good discussion, disagree without resorting to name calling and getting angry. Seems to me when you find your anger rising you are moving into the debate/strife mode.

First off... why would you think I would be offended if you brought up what another translation says? I hope I dont come off as being that sensitive... You know my stand on the KJV, but if you quote from another version it doesnt offend me or upset me. ;-) Just dont expect me to take it too seriously. :-P

Now, as for what you wrote concerning strife and debating, if you read my second paragraph, I think you'll see that we are virtually saying the same thing. So... I agree with ya.

Krispy

2005/11/4 12:51
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Pro 25:9 Debate thy cause with thy neighbour [himself]; and discover not a secret to another:
Pro 25:10 Lest he that heareth [it] put thee to shame, and thine infamy turn not away.

Debate-[url=http://www.blueletterbible.org/tmp_dir/words/7/1131138599-6248.html]in hebrew[/url]

Rom 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

Debate- [url=http://www.blueletterbible.org/tmp_dir/words/2/1131138660-6644.html]in greek[/url]

Debate (in english)
To consider something; deliberate.
To engage in argument by discussing opposing points.
To engage in a formal discussion or argument. See Synonyms at discuss.
[u]Obsolete.[/u] To fight or quarrel.

That was taken from dictionary.com

It seems since the "obsolete" deffinition is to fight or quarrel that the deffinition has changed some through time. I bet when the KJV was translated it meant the obsolete deffinition.

2005/11/4 16:14Profile
sheepshear1

Re: greek - debate

BAUER, DANKER, ARNDT, GINGRICH - THIS THE STANDARD GREEK DICTIONARY
[BDAG] eris
• eris. Engagement in rivalry, esp. w. ref. to positions taken in a matter, strife, discord, contention

LIDDELL & SCOTT – THIS IS THE STANDARD SECULAR DICTIONARY
strife, quarrel, contention:

I. mostly of battle-strife,
II. generally, quarrel, strife,
1. wordy wrangling, disputation,
III. Personified, Eris, a goddess who excites to war
IV. contention, rivalry,

2005/12/7 14:58Profile
sheepshear1

Re: be mean to a non christian?

BAUER, DANKER, ARNDT, GINGRICH - THIS THE STANDARD GREEK DICTIONARY
[BDAG] eris
• eris Engagement in rivalry, esp. w. ref. to positions taken in a matter, strife, discord, contention

LIDDELL & SCOTT – THIS IS THE STANDARD SECULAR DICTIONARY
strife, quarrel, contention:

I. mostly of battle-strife,
II. generally, quarrel, strife,
1. wordy wrangling, disputation,
III. Personified, Eris, a goddess who excites to war
IV. contention, rivalry,

2005/12/7 15:00Profile
worzle

Re:

Quote:
What about the sin of debate? Does it factor in here? Some time ago the LORD convicted me of this sin. It is listed in Romans 1: 29: "Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers," I used to be 'good' in arguing but since the LORD convicted me of it, I will refrain. Does this this not apply to situations as you just mentioned? I know well-meaning Christians will get frustrated when their point of view is being rejected with hostility so one responds with like and quickly you have a full blown argument going which helps nobody...and definately the one YOU want to convinced will remain unchanged.

From the amplified Bible:
Acts 17:16-18
"Now while Paul was awaiting them at Athens, his spirit was grieved and roused to anger as he saw that the city was full of idols.
So he reasoned and argued in the synagogue with the Jews and those who worshiped there, and in the marketplace [where assemblies are held] day after day with any who chanced to be there.
And some also of the Epicurean and Stoic philosophers encountered him and began to engage in discussion..."
---
Acts 17:34
"...But some men were on his side and joined him and believed (became Christians);..."

I've always taken that as debate can at least be a useful tool (if the above is indeed debate - so long as it is driven by a motivation to do Gods will, and for his glory, rather than just to get one up on the person you're arguing with).

2005/12/7 17:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy