SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : Why such secular adds?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Ad's...

Hey Karl,

That's interesting... maybe they only show up on those who don't support... [i]KIDDING![/i] It's a guess, but maybe it's because of having it on your search bar that it is not duplicated. Generally they show up on the left hand pane below the "Who's Online" subset.

2005/10/30 14:02Profile

Re: Ad's...& Chinese Fortune Cookies

I have found the louder the person is the less they give!

I don't mean giving of just money but anything.

Even preachers who are loud are not givers, they give yes, but they do it grudgingly hoping to get something in return.

But the preachers who are quiet and the Spirit of God comes up them and they can't help get loud I found them to be givers. Because they give when your not looking.

These men who are few and far between have back doors on stage, so that they can leave without being patted on the back by the congregation. "Oh that was a good sermon", "You really hit me between the eyes". But they give God the glory by clinging to the cross.

Oh to be such a man of God......sigh.

The ones who cry that we should give more money to the church, never give!

The ones who cry that we should live by faith and not by our wallets, have no money, but live on welfare.

The ones who cry we should do this or we should do that, are doing the very things of which they preach against.

But those who are quiet and let their lives speak for them as a living testimony, are like apples of Gold in pitchers of silver".

Mary was found quiet at the feet of Jesus, Martha was found complaining away from Jesus.

But Jesus said to Martha, "Mary has found the best part".

"Martha what your doing is Good and Acceptable, but what Mary is doing is Perfect"

I don't put any faith in Chinese fortune cookies when I go to my favorite chinese restaurant, but my chinese fortune cookie said in which I did ponder and wondered if God used that to speak to me, "You long to be perfect".

Perhaps this is the perfection that He wants me to ponder, to be like Mary.

Always and forever in the Palm of His Hand

Karl

2005/10/30 14:26
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re:

[b]Greg[/b]

That's good to read that God is providing you a place to live and a possible job. I'm glad schooling is going well for you too. And as God wills it, He will continue to provide for this ministry (finances, time, people, etc.).

2005/10/30 16:54Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Mike,

Thank you for the words, you definetly put out alot of things that were on my mind and heart that I wanted to convey.

2005/10/30 20:22Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: ...

Quote:
The ones who cry that we should live by faith and not by our wallets, have no money, but live on welfare.

[b]George Mueller[/b]

There were plenty of opportunities for the LORD to try the faith of His servant, and "the greater the difficulties, the easier for faith" to be tried, "for with God nothing shall be impossible" (Luke 1:37).

"One morning the plates and cups and bowls on the table were empty. There was no food in the larder, and no money to buy food. The children were standing waiting for their morning meal, when Mueller said,

'Children, you know we must be in time for school.'

Lifting his hand he said,

'Dear Father, we thank Thee for what Thou art going to give us to eat.'

There was a knock on the door. The baker stood there, and said,

'Mr. Mueller, I couldn't sleep last night. Somehow I felt you didn't have bread for breakfast and the Lord wanted me to send you some. So I got up at 2 a.m. and baked some fresh bread, and have brought it.'

Mueller thanked the man. No sooner had this transpired when there was a second knock at the door. It was the milkman. He announced that his milk cart had broken down right in front of the Orphanage, and he would like to give the children his cans of fresh milk so he could empty his wagon and repair it. No wonder, years later, when Mueller was to travel the world as an evangelist, he would be heralded as

'the man who gets things from God!'" --from the "Christian Hall of Fame Series" (No.23) by Ed Reese
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

George Mueller stayed in the background as the humble servant of the LORD Jesus Christ, who wanted nothing more in his life than to magnify his God. "I will praise the Name of God with a song, and will magnify Him with thanksgiving" (Psalm 69:30). His own life (i.e., his goals, his dreams, his passions) had value only in what glory he could direct towards Heaven and in what good he could bestow on Earth. "Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in Heaven: and come and follow Me" (Matthew 19:21).

"His own personal income varied around $12,000 a year, of which he kept for himself $1,800 giving the rest away." --from the "Christian Hall of Fame Series" (No.23) by Ed Reese

In 1876, a book of Mr. Mueller's sermons was published which also contained his picture and signature. His deep desire to keep the LORD Jehovah Jireh (literally, the LORD will Provide [Genesis 22:14]) in the forefront of everyone's minds and hearts prompted him to respond with the following:

"During the last thirty years I have been asked both verbally and in writing for my likeness, but my reply has invariably been

'As I do not wish to direct attention to myself but to my Lord and Master, I must decline to comply with your request.'

Twenty years ago I was offered 500 pounds sterling if I would allow it to be published, but the offer was declined for the reason already given." --George Mueller

Mr. Pierson reveals the opinion of Mr. James Wright (Mr. Mueller's son-in-law, and successor in the orphan work) with similar fashion concerning Mueller's desire to remain in the background-- giving God the foreground-- Mr. Pierson writes:

"Mr. Mueller's own gifts to the service of the Lord find in this posthumous report their first full record and recognition. Readers of the Annual Reports must have noticed an entry, recurring with strange frequency during all these thirty or forty years, and therefore suggesting a giver that must have reached a very ripe age:

'from a servant of the Lord Jesus, who, constrained by the love of Christ, seeks to lay up treasure in heaven.'

If that entry be carefully followed throughout and there be added the personal gifts made by Mr. Mueller to various benevolent objects, it will be found that the aggregate sum from this 'servant' reaches, up to March 1, 1898, a total of eighty-one thousand four hundred and ninety pounds eighteen shillings and eightpence. Mr. Wright, now that this 'servant of the Lord Jesus' is with his Master, who promised,

'Where I am there shall also My servant be,'

feels free to make known that this donor was no other than George Mueller himself who thus gave out of his own money-- money given to him for his own use or left to him by legacies-- the total sum of about sixty-four thousand five hundred pounds to the Scriptural Knowledge Institution, and, in other directions, seventeen thousand more. This is a record of personal gifts to which we know no parallel." --from chapter 20: "The Summary of the Life-Work" ---

There was but one thing foremost in the mind of George Mueller, and that he continually tried to keep foremost in the minds of others, "Let the BEAUTY OF THE LORD OUR GOD be UPON US: and establish Thou the work of our hands upon us; yea, the work of our hands establish Thou it" (Psalm 90:17). "One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after... to behold the Beauty of THE LORD, and to inquire in HIS Temple" (Psalm 27:4).

"Two things are here plainly put before us:

first, that Elijah was but a man, of like nature with other men and subject to all human frailties and infirmities;

and secondly, that this man was such a power because he was a man of prayer: he prayed earnestly; literally 'he prayed with prayer'; prayed habitually and importunately." --from chapter 24: "Last Looks, Backward and Forward" ---

2005/10/30 21:35Profile

Re:

You misunderstood what was being said, I know the story of George Mueller, but I wasn't talking about that.

I know people who proudly proclaim that we should live by faith, but live on welfare, and they lack faith.

I am talking about people who shout that we need to do this and we need to do that, but don't do it themselves.

Do you understand what I am saying now.

"Can you hear me now"

Karl

2005/10/30 21:54
groh_frog

Re:

Karl, I think it's just that it seems like you write with such an angry tone so often. If you have a correction for somebody, than you should give it, but you don't need to attack every aspect that you can think of. It makes it hard to listen sometimes.

Anyway, I do believe that we could raise the support for this site, and I believe that we could make it more than it is now. Just as you don't wait for Christians to walk through the church doors, I don't believe you should just wait for the funding to hit the basket. At the same time, it's not right to expect someone to give grudgingly.

I speak honestly when I say that the sermons, texts, even discussions that are available on this site have changed the way I walk, talk, and live. This is a congregation of believers, and we need to support it.

Thanks again, Greg, and moderators for taking care of this for us. This site is a blessing, and the people brought in create an awesome fellowship, even if different than traditional.

Grace and Peace...

2005/10/31 0:18Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Praying this morning and...
Just want to be obedient to the prompting;

"Retract it"

Best I can tell the sentiment is what the Lord might be after and this as well;

"I will do the convicting"

Can only pray that this is not misconstrued, nor borne out of my own head... Awoke with a heavy groaning and this was as far away as could be, in fact there is a part of me still resisting... The retraction is not in pulling the words off, it's in handing back the authority I attempted to usurp.

2005/11/2 8:25Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Can only pray that this is not misconstrued, nor borne out of my own head...

Hi Mike
It is difficult, when you see someone being crucified, to keep your mouth shut! ;-) I think one of the lessons I find it most difficult to learn personally is how to defend someone without attacking someone else. As a young pastor the Lord took me on one side and told me that He had called me to be a 'shepherd not a sheriff'! When you see someone who is pouring his life out become the target for attack I still have a tendence to 'buckle on the gunbelt'!

I think I know what you were doing and I think I know why you are feeling the way you are now. “Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.” (James 1:19-20, KJVS)
Having said that I stand four square with you by Greg's side in this issue. I would have not have asked the question 'how much is coming in?' but rather 'how much is going out?' The costs of this gift to the church ought not to be born by one man, and each person who benefits from the site ought to ask the questions 'how can I give something back'? I am happy to leave the answer to the individual conscience but it is the job of the each one of us to ask it.

Sometimes our mistakes show our heart better than very correct web etiquette. God bless you, my brother.

2005/11/2 10:35Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re:

[b]Greg[/b]

I know that you take much of this ministry to prayer, especially the support aspect. It really is awesome that you provide all these resources for free. And you had mentioned that God specifically put it upon your heart not to charge anyone for the sermons, if I remember correctly. If things changed however, and you had to start charging for some service on SI to keep this ministry running, I really don't think anyone would complain. There are several organizations that I can think of that provide a certain amount of services for free, but if you want access to the other services they provide, then you pay for a year's subscription. Maybe it would help people appreciate all the hard work you put into this as well. But at the same time, you can't make everyone happy, nor should you strive to. I'm sure you do this ministry as unto the Lord, and if your labor, heart and efforts are pleasing to Him, then He'll take care of those who may not be appreciative, and He'll keep providing for your needs. Continue to be a good steward of the things God has given you, and faithful with what He has put in your care, and everything will work out for the glory of God.

2005/11/7 19:48Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy