SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Taking the Lord's name in vain: It's not about cussing

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
roadsign

What's in the name?

Quote:
they sit before you as MY PEOPLE, and they hear your words, BUT THEY DO NOT DO THEM; for with their mouth they show much love, but THEIR HEARTS PURSUE THEIR OWN GAIN.

Nothing has changed. Today, there are countless churches who take God's name as their identity. However, history proves that, even if the organization was built on a Godly foundation, it will stray from God within a very few generations (or a few years)

Check out a few examples here. Some of these may still be authentic, but that doesn't mean that in time they will be far from God.

Church of the Messiah
Church of Jesus Christ of the Later Day Saints
Jehovah’s Witness
Jesus Name Tabernacle
The United Church of Christ
Christian Revival Center
Christ Temple Tabernacle Church
Disciples of Christ
Worldwide Church of God
The Holy See
Trinity Church

2005/11/12 6:46Profile
roadsign

Re: What's in the name?

Quote:
Any time His name is used, especially in prayer, without the awe and reverance that it deserves.

Ron, I think you are on to something here. I wonder if you could explain what you mean by "awe and reverance". I ask because I suspect that a lot of churches have a great deal of reverence for God's name, and yet, it is ritual or emotional. Their loyalties are divided -ie: they still trust in things of this world.

Quote:
Any time we make a promise to the Lord and then break it.

Here again, could you give some examples of breaking promises to God.

I think of Peter who promised to stick with Jesus even unto death, but when the testings came, he was quick to pull out the sword.

In the flesh, we cannot keep our promises to God, we are prone to fail - esp; when the fire gets too hot.

2005/11/12 6:49Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
I wonder if you could explain what you mean by "awe and reverance"

I mean humbly coming to God in complete dependence; recognizing our impotence and unworthiness and His mercy and grace. It's about coming to worship Him with thanksgiving despite whatever our needs may be; or whatever circumstances we find ourselves in. Just like Daniel did...

[i]Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went into his house; and his windows being open in his chamber toward Jerusalem, he kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed, [b]and gave thanks before his God[/b], as he did aforetime.[/i](Daniel 6:10)

Quote:
Here again, could you give some examples of breaking promises to God.

We make all kinds of promises, not under compulsion but of our own free will; and then we feel it is merely up to us to keep them. What we often don't realize is that the Holy Spirit hears them and when we break them we have lied to Him. Have we promised to get up early to pray? Have we promised to read the Bible daily? Have we promised to tithe? Have we promised to be honest with others? Are we standing on shattered promises?

In Christ,

Ron

2005/11/12 10:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy