SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How much should we know?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
roadsign

love and knowledge work together

Quote:
Don't underuse prayer, and don't underestimate the Holy Spirit in doing his work. It's up to God to convict, not us. Even when you can logically proove that they are following a lie, people don't often live by logic.

Amen! In my youth I used to "witness" by taking the intellectual approach, using reason to prove the reality of God. People just fit what I say into their existing convictions. Really they adjust my words in order to suit their beliefs. (we all have a tendency to do that)

Now I see that it is not what or how much we know, but WHO we know that touches others. I must become less, Christ must become more. For many years I was too influenced by society - which stressed academics, knowledge, human understanding (humanism) Love was a rather meaningless, subjective word. Yet in Scripture, love is a powerful testimony.

That is not to dismiss the value of knowledge and understanding. It is just that those things don't have too much "sway" apart from our "Knowing Christ" and walking with him so that others may be drawn to HIM.
I learned that through experience.

Having said that, I know a missionary to the Muslims in Africa who uses the Koran to witness to them. His ministry is very effective. There are powerful statements of truth in the Koran.

In Bangladesh the missionaries say Allah for God. This would upset our western evangelicals, but in THEIR language it means GOD.

If I don't have love, I am as a sounding gong or clanging symbol.

Diane

2005/10/27 6:50Profile
groh_frog

Re: love and knowledge work together

Diane, I think that's cool how that missionary you talked about is able to effectively use their Koran to show them the only true way. But I think you still have to be careful how much you allow things to bend when you share Christ and the Word.

You pointed out that they say Allah for God. Well, yes, that's their equivalent, but I think this is one instance where they are two very different things. For instance, did you know that Allah, before he was the muslim "god", was a pagan moon god of fertility? To this day, the symbol for islam is the crescent moon.

Again, you have to be careful with what you allow to be seen as the same. Like the Baha'is believe, all religions point to the same "god", just with different names, and different prophets. I would consider it an insult to the Lord Almighty to let it be said that he is the same as a pagan "god", like allah. Even if it's a concept that the muslims might understand.

I don't mean to attack you in this- and I think that missionary is probably awesome in serving the Lord, but I also believe it's very important to have a clear understanding that "we are not of this world", and our God is the only True God.

Grace and Peace...

2005/10/27 7:47Profile
saved_matt

Lancashire, England

Re:

The Lord gave me this word this morning in my time with Him,

Jeremiah 10:2,3a, Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain:

suppose that's pretty clear thank you all though

matt

2005/10/28 12:47Profile
groh_frog

Re:

Hmmm...

I think there's a difference, however, between knowing what the enemy uses for ammunition, and, say, knowing how to participate in a seance or witchcraft ceremony.

Grace and Peace...

2005/10/28 12:58Profile
saved_matt

Lancashire, England

Re:

groh_frog

thank you so much for your contributions to this forum espescially your testimony, I did notice early on in the forum, people emphasising the need to be thouroughly grounded in the Word, I myself do not feel I'm grounded well enough to look at the teachings of other faiths yet, I get a sence from the Lord of more a 'wait, not yet, your not ready' than a 'do not look at all' if that makes sense.

thank you very much though

matt

2005/10/28 17:56Profile
groh_frog

Re:

hey, like it was said earlier, "very few are called to be apologetics", and I believe that might be true. There is definitely more than just hands, or just eyes, or just ears, or just feet in the body of the Lord. Plus, if you knew nothing else than the Word of the Lord, you wouldn't be lacking in anything.

Grace and Peace...

2005/10/29 1:59Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy