SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Nigerian Churches Tell West to Practice What It Preached on Gays

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Nigerian Churches Tell West to Practice What It Preached on Gays

[img]http://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

ABUJA, Nigeria -- Little more than a century ago, legions of Christian missionaries arrived here from Europe with an imposing agenda for changing traditional African practices. Worshiping animistic gods, they told people, was sinful. So was keeping carved idols at home. And in a land where polygamy was common, the missionaries taught that marriage was a sacred union between one man and one woman, period.
Today, many devout Christian Nigerians adhere firmly to the view that homosexuality is ungodly, and they have been rankled by its growing acceptance among church leaders in the United States and Europe. As the descendants of Nigerians who abandoned their traditional values under the influence of Western preaching, some Christians here say they feel betrayed and offended that the spiritual descendants of those missionaries are now trying to change the rules.

"Homosexuality is against the book," said Dayo Okusami, 58, as she picked up a Bible at this month's opening of the National Ecumenical Center, a multi-denominational cathedral in this capital city. "Here we still follow the book. Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed because of homosexuality. That's it. God doesn't change. He's not human."

In a nearby pew, Julie Ade-Cole, 60, was even more adamant. "If America does not stop going in the direction of Sodom and Gomorrah, I can see God's wrath coming heavily down," said the retired government worker, who views the devastation wreaked by Hurricane Katrina as divine punishment. "The Lord has favored them so much, they have started taking God for granted. They have become arrogant."

2005/10/25 11:39Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re: Nigerian Churches Tell West to Practice What It Preached on Gays

Lam 2:11 Mine eyes do fail with tears, my bowels are troubled, my liver is poured upon the earth...

Oh that America would remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else He will come unto us quickly in judgement. (see Rev 2:5)

2005/10/25 12:05Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

And I would add the last part of that verse as well: [b]and will remove thy candlestick out of his place,[u]except thou repent[/u]. [/b]

2005/10/25 12:57Profile
groh_frog

Re: Nigerian Churches Tell West to Practice What It Preached on Gays

Ya know, so many people try to say that "we still follow God" and yet try to change what he says. I like how Dayo Okusami says it, "Homosexuality is against the book". That's all there is to it.

What don't some churches get about that?

Grace and Peace...

2005/10/26 8:37Profile
groh_frog

Re:

And to those churches who say we should follow- I wish we were. There's so much perversion, even within our churches that it's disgusting. So many are lukewarm, mixing the hot with the cold. We can pray, and wait for the day when the impurity will be spit out of the Lord's mouth.

Grace and Peace...

2005/10/29 2:21Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy