SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Witnessing to Catholics?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
groh_frog

Witnessing to Catholics?

I just got done talking to a Catholic friend of mine who seems all but unreachable.

He understands that fundamentally he's a sinner, but is convinced that because he was confirmed and baptized catholic, that he's going to heaven. I know that I can't force a person to come to know Christ, but are there any good keys or points that I can use that he might understand?

I think that much of the problem is that even though we agree on thing like "faith in Christ", they mean something totally different to him. Where can I point out the falicy of the Catholic Church? Are there any good resources out there?

Grace and Peace...

2005/10/24 8:05Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: Witnessing to Catholics?

I heard this from John R Rice. If a person believes they are saved by going through the rites and ceremonies, tell them that if they bobble just once, they are doomed. But if Jesus did the saving, and Jesus bobbles, then they are done for. When the individual replies that Jesus doesn't bobble, ask them, 'Then wouldn't you prefer His kind of salvation?'

2005/10/24 9:00Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re: Witnessing to Catholics?

Quote:
I think that much of the problem is that even though we agree on thing like "faith in Christ", they mean something totally different to him.

This, I've concluded, is the problem and you said it perfectly. I found with the mormons, JW's, Catholics and whatever other 'Christian' variation, that they will agree with you in words but will be meaning something totally different. Their words are incredibly deceptive and suck in those who don't know any better. Just because a person says he/she believes in the atoning blood of Jesus Christ for salvation doesn't mean they mean the same as you! It's a tricky play on words the devil is using.

In Christ,
-Eli

2005/10/24 9:05Profile
groh_frog

Re:

Thinking and praying about this whole thing last night, I was wondering, why is the Catholic church so accepted among Christians?

Normally, when a group teaches a false doctrine, it often becomes widely known as a cult, even if only discreetly at first. How is it that so many people just look at the Catholic church as 'just another denomination', and not as the false witness that it is?

I guess I might have gotten a little piped up at this last night, and moreso this morning. How can one of the largest abominations to Christ be so accepted? Why isn't it spoken against more openly and more widely?

I just don't understand, either, how something so obviously wrong is so easily accepted by so many. It's like a herd of cows walking over a cliff together. Maybe they're just comfortable like that. I just don't get it.

Grace and Peace...

2005/10/25 0:09Profile
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Re:

I’m with you groh_frog - I don’t get it either. I heard someone say once “the reason Catholics don’t persecute Christians any more is because Christians finally decided to just keep their mouths shut.” I think this might be true. I’ve been praying if maybe the Lord wants me to pass out tracts, evangelism CD’s and witness in the lobbies and outside some catholic churches on Saturdays. I’m not sure if this is the way the Lord is leading me on Saturdays, but if it is, I’ll bet we find out the above statement is true. What do you think?

2005/10/25 0:23Profile
groh_frog

Re:

I think it would be awesome to see some old-fashioned open-air preachers standing right outside of the Cahtolic churches before mass. Of course, I know that I can be too confrontational at times, so I might not be the best one to ask.

Ya know, I've actually thought about it, also. But where do you start? I think handing out tracts would be awesome, do you know of any good ones, or are you making your own?

There's so much deception that it can be depressing. I really have thought about writing some scripture that discredits the catholic church and giving it to people. Maybe Martin Luther's original list of grievances with the church. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Well, I do think it would be great, if nothing else, to try and save some. When you go hand out tracks, tell me how it goes. Or, tell me what works. I don't even know where to start.

Grace and Peace...

2005/10/25 4:10Profile
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Re:

I may be a little too confrontational at times also, so I'm not sure I'm the guy for the job either. But if the Lord directs me I go. Here are some tracts I have found for Catholics. I have some of them but not all. Let me know what you think and which ones you feel are good.

[url=http://www.evangelicaloutreach.org/catholic-truths3.swf]Catholic Truths[/url]

[url=http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0082/0082_01.asp]Last Rites[/url]

[url=http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0071/0071_01.asp]Are Catholics Christians?[/url]

[url=http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0040/0040_01.asp]Why Is Mary Crying?[/url]

[url=http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1005/1005_01.asp]Murph[/url]

[url=http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0074/0074_01.asp]The Death Cookie[/url]

Let me know what you think of these and which ones your feel are better or worse or good or bad.

2005/10/25 8:31Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Last weekend I ran into a few Catholics. While I was preaching one came to me and said, " Are you a Christian?!" I said, "yes." He then replied," Thats your problem! You are pushing your religion down my throat, I am a Catholic!" I thought that was interesting he knew from my preaching I was preaching a different (Biblical) gospel than what he belived. I also ran into another person the next day that said just about the same thing.

It's interesting that some Catholics will boldly proclaim they are not Christians, but most Christians would not dare to say that Catholics are not Christians.

2005/10/25 9:09Profile
groh_frog

Re:

I like some of those handouts. Especially the first one, "catholic truths". I would be careful, though, about a couple of them. Like "The Death Cookie" and "Are Catholics Cristians". They spoke truth, but death cookie might be too offensive to just hand out to someone without talking to or getting to know them first. Are catholics christians seemed a little nit-picky towards words, and I dunno, if it were me, that might make me think it was just so: too picky. I've gotta admit, though. I'm not exactly the authority on this stuff. Infact, I'm pretty much a baby when it comes to open evangelism, and I know I'm just getting started.

Those were awesome, though. I'm gonna send the first one to my cahtolic friend, and see what he has to say.

Again, tell me how it goes. I'm deployed in Qatar right now, but when I get home, I want to try out handing those out.

Grace and Peace...

2005/10/25 10:02Profile
groh_frog

Re:

I was talking again with my catholic friend. I sent him the link to the first site, and got no answer from him. Talking to him later on, I challenged him to think about eternity. Using Ray Comfort's "would you sell your eye" analogy, going into "how much more is your soul worth". He almost seemed emotionless about the whole thing- he just doesn't seem to care.

Now, this is a friend of mine, married, with his first child on the way. How else can I challenge him? I'm just starting to work on my open outreach, handing out tracts, etc. and don't have a lot of experience. Any ideas? I would appreciate, or rather, he could use prayer in this, too.

Thanks again for all the help you guys are giving me.

Grace and Peace...

2005/10/28 6:09Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy