SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : How many christians actually study there bibles in bible studies and housegroups

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

How many christians actually study there bibles in bible studies and housegroups

I as a christian am finding recently that I was recently appaulded to find out that some people did not pick up the bible the whole way during a bible study or housegroup, it made me sick to the stomach.
It broke my heart to realise this it was not the first week either, I can forgive and forget and I hopefully will the people that do it.
The bible is a major part of a christians life because if you want to find out more about Jesus who is thy centre of the christian life you have to study it.
The usual general way of having bible studies is to have a question and aswer section where a person presents a section of questions and answers on a particular verse and then the group answers those questions, the good things that I like about this is scripture is actually read and understood and some good debates come out of it, the bad thing is that people I know are too worried whether they get the answers right or wrong to even care what the actual scriptures say, then there are also the ones with just audio where people actually think about what people say this is good because normally the sermons if they are chosen correctly can end up with a good meeting if bad nothing but boredum. My heart would be to drop all that and start of with a praise section and then study the word of god directly without using any aids and then praying either at the end. I find I like using the bible directly becasue you actually get what people think rather than what they are suppose to say and it is a measure to see how far they are in there spirutal walk, I also find that I actually get challanged alot more I get challanged when they use aids but not as much as without. I have need Jesus alot and I need to be challanged by it in rebuke and reproof, I find that even if you are trying to help them, they cannot see that. I so want to grow in the Lord and be a witness and that people would go the full potential of the love of Jesus Christ and that I can forgive whoever I need to forgive and that i can be firm in what I believe and no comprimise yet I also want to have the love and to be pure and holy which I fail at al of these but I just want jesus to show up as he is, the biblical jesus
I just want to learn more about him and I find I am limited, I also want to love his body and his church and praise god with all my heart
Please read your bible listen to it I beg, i plead

2005/10/24 7:03Profile
groh_frog

Re: How many christians actually study there bibles in bible studies and housegroups

When I first became a Christian, I started going to a church that many of my friends were going to.

Well, early in my walk, I ran into some Jehova's Witnesses, who came to my house toting a message that many of the things I had come to believe were wrong. "Like what?" was my question, to which I was given a list of things: Jesus was not God, he never rose bodily from the grave, etc.

Well, upon returning to my youth group with these questions, I remember that our leader had one verse as to why Jesus was God.

Now, we would do almost daily short sudies in the Bible, but what I found was that they seemed to be fairly selective. We never got into the "meat of the Word". If you study the Bible, you'll find many references pointing to how Jesus was God, why we believe in the Trinity, and proof that Jesus did rise in the flesh.

Well, I guess sometimes just reading and teaching isn't enough. You have to study, and work at learning doctrine.

Grace and Peace...

2005/10/26 10:03Profile
roadsign

Re: Study or Gab

Quote:
Please read your bible listen to it I beg, i plead

Deltadom, these words echo the cry of my heart. We are starving people, desperately in need of God's spiritual food.

I have just joined a "Bible Study" and after 5 meetings, I have not seen the leader open her Bible once. She just shares her opinions, which I do not believe are always right. But if I challenge her, she gets defensive.
This is so sad, but I think it is a reflection of a heart condition - a reluctance to let God convict through the Word. It is really supports the Word: "There is no one that seeks God"

I have come to realize that I learn best by studying myself - seeking answers through prayer and Spirit guidance. God has taught me that he can guide me, and I don't have to be limited by man's shallow spirituality.

Meanwhile, I can accept that there is a legitamite need for people to get together and gab - like a social outlet. It's too bad these events are called Bible studies. They should just be called "Coffee and Gab"
Diane

2005/10/26 10:16Profile
mary0418

Re: Study or Gab

I started a Bible study about 2 and a half months ago. It has really been helpful to me. We go chapter by chapter- we started in Matthew. We ask questions like-
are there specific examples to follow,
commands to obey,
errors to avoid,
if the chapter points out any sinful behaviors, attitudes or ways of thinking that may be present in my own life, society, our culture or the church today,
are there any promises to claim or
is there an aspect of God's nature we didn't know before or that we have seen before in the Scriptures.

I have appreciated this method and I believe it has been helpful to all of us. Granted sometimes it does turn into talking about specific problems one or all of us is having or what we have been taught through the week, but the time spent in the Word is studying what the Lord is actually saying to us and how to apply it to our own every day lives.

God Bless,
Mary

2005/10/26 10:35Profile
saved_matt

Lancashire, England

Re: How many christians actually study there bibles in bible studies and housegroups

I've been going to a Bible study group every friday night, for about a year, were currently going through Revelation, wahooo! Where'as we can ask questions and stuff it tends to be more of a sermon and we have dont questions and answers sheets etc.. maybe i could recommend that.

my mum goes to a Bible study on tuesdays they have question and answer sheets and group discussions and then a 'sermon' which answers the questions they were posed the week before.

matt

2005/10/26 14:17Profile
rocklife

usa

I was also very much disgusted when I saw this the first time 2-3 years ago. I had decided only to be friends with christians who sought His word daily and made big life decisions from the Bible, and loved Him enough to be reading it often. Well, with this criteria for friendship, suddenly I had no friends. Very sad. Even among church youth group leaders, I couldn't fellowship with their wives following this criteria, I encourage them to read the bible more, and that I needed friends who really sought wisdom from God, I couldn't just chit chat about small talk all day long, evangelism and etc is more important.

2005/10/26 19:56Profile
groh_frog

Bible study blues...

It can be hard at times to lead a bible study. I think it comes down to one factor, though: What is the purpose of the study?

It almost seems like studies would be by nature to dig deeper into the Word, which is true, but there is more to how you design a study.

For instance, is it to teach new believers the basics of biblical doctrine? It it to answer the questions of unbelievers? Is it a group of well-founded christinas fellowshipping and digging into the meat of the Word?

When I moved to where I currently live, it was very difficult to find a good, solid church. So, my wife and I moved to start a home study on Saturday nights. The point? To create a gathering of christians to simply dig into the Word- specifically to study Acts, and what the Church used to be.

Well, here's where the balance gets difficult. It is important for the leader to be grounded in the Word and be a leader! Well, we invited several of the christians that we knew, which included a small spread of denominations, and beliefs.

I expected a small study, where we could gather, read, talk, ask questions, and worship together. I was unprepared for two of the people who came: They had some different ideas about how things should be done: If you weren't using KJV, you were wrong. If not singing hymns alone, you were wrong.

Now, my place as the leader was to take control- this study needed structure and order, which was being defeated by the varying opinions represented. If you don't have that, your study won't benefit anybody.

Now, if you have a group of like-minded believers, you may be able to dig deeper into the Word without having to be so strenuously lead, which can free you to interact more.

Again, if it's a study with new believers, or unbelievers, it needs a balance of structure as far a specific criteria, but needs the freedom to interact.

Just as dangerous as an unorganized, non-founded study is one that is overly pre-decided and lead by the leader.

The couple that I talked about earlier were very set in their beliefs. Not necessarily because of logic, or because that is what they had come to decide was right, but because they were told it was. Their church doctrine said that non-hymn type music was evil, so, therefore, it was. And that is how their pastor lead their church. No questions! What I say, goes.

Now, for those of you who are KJV only, I don't mean what I write as an insult. I believe it is a good translation, but not the only one, within reason. I'm not a huge fan of some of the translations out there, myself.

Anyway, if you can learn from my experiences and shortfalls, you must study on your own, and every study won't always be the 'perfect' study. We can all work it to be better, however.

Grace and Peace...

2005/10/27 3:03Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re: Bible study blues...

Thankyou for your comments I have a bible study tonight aswell I hope god blesses me with this!!
I want to go deeper into gods word!!!

2005/10/27 13:47Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re: Bible study blues...

Well a girl I know wanted to setup a biblestudy group.. the problem was that like all friends would be on the same 'spiritual level?' she and I have... (friends living closeby from our age)
As my sister told, she states that people would probably get frustrated..

So well we tried to do it with the two of us first and it didn't workout. We where not spending to time seeking through His Word but more like chit chatting.. It seems I'm still studying His word alone for now.

However I did get an email from one of the leaders from a youth club I attend.. she writes that there will be a 'one year Bible read project'.. this means reading three chapters a day and informing your (virtual)group over email about what you read, learned, discovered and such.

It's not the same as being togetehr in a physical group, but it could be good.

They have an info-evening about this in december the 17th. I think I'll check it out as I will be going to Puerto Rico for workstudy in january.

2005/10/27 17:30Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy