SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Ahhh!! Well-informed 'agnostics'!!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

coop writes:

Quote:
I cant see any evidence in the fact that Jesus was talking to only his followers on the sermon on the mount. Do you know any? Even if He was, there are Christians who die of starvation anyway, so it doesn't really make much sense! I think it's clear Jesus wasn't talking about spiritual food and clothing (In Matt 6) so the rest is more of a digression.

“And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him: And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying, Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” (Matt. 5:1-3, KJVS)The introduction to the Sermon on the Mount makes it very clear that Jesus left the multitudes behind at this point and then shared these deep truths with 'his disciples'.

2005/10/26 4:10Profile
coops

Re:

JFEdgar and philologos you are right, i as wrong! :-P
now that point really helps in explaining things, sorry i spoke too soon, i didnt even bother to read through it, i just asked a friend who has been to bible college and assumed of course he is right...

silly me, thanks for correcting it guys!

God bless
:-)

2005/10/26 17:29Profile
bluinos

Re:

Philogos,

This is what the Lord showed me.

Mark 6:32 So they departed to a deserted place in the boat by themselves. BUT the multitudes saw them departing, and many KNEW him and RAN there on foot from all the cities. They arrived before them and came together to him.
And Jesus, when he came out, saw a great multitude and was moved with compassion for them, because they were like sheep not having a shepherd. So he began to teach them many things.
When the day was now far spent, His disciples came to him and said, This is a deserted place, and already the hour is LATE. Send them away, that they may go into the surrounding country and villages and buy themselves bread; for they have nothing to eat.
But he answered and said to them, YOU GIVE THEM SOMETHING TO EAT.

In other words, Jesus told his disciples, you feed them.

2005/10/26 17:54Profile
JFEdgar

Wellington, Ohio

Re:

Coops,
Not to 'puff you up', but I am impressed by your humility. Unfortunately, i rarely find people who, when they make a statement about the bible, and are confronted with clear verses, admit that they were wrong. Instead, the first reaction is always to defend their point at all costs, and maybe, possibly admit that they were wrong later.

Anyway, just wanted to encourage you to "prove all things" so you are never deceived, but also to keep that humble attitude toward scripture, and freely admit when you are wrong. In my walk it is when I have come to the scriptures as a child learning from his parents that the meanings really jump out at me, and the Word is clear. Anyone can find justifications for anything, and prove any point (even Jehovah's Witnesses actually have very good arguments sometimes) but pride makes them blind. If you take the Word at its word, and come to it in humility you wont easily be deceived. Humility is key, and so many are hardened by an intellectual knowledge of the bible which makes them proud, and without charity and humility.
It doesnt matter what I know about the bible, in the end, if what i "know" isnt true. It is vain and will actually heap upon me more judgement if I spout my false "knowledge". That is why it is so important (and just plain logical) to earnestly seek God to give us, not correct doctrine, but to make those doctrines which are of Him real to us. What does it matter if I believe in eternal security if I am insecure about my place in Christ, or if I reject it but there is no fear of God in me? Either doctrine is useless if it isnt real to me. Hope that makes sense.

Anyway, seek Him and look only to Him, dont get caught up with anything but Christ Himself.

2005/10/26 22:23Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy