SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : New figures put quake toll at more than 79,000

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 New figures put quake toll at more than 79,000

[img]http://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - New figures released by regional officials on Wednesday pushed the death toll in South Asia’s earthquake to more than 79,000, about half each in Pakistani-held Kashmir and the country’s North West Frontier Province.
The figures are significantly higher than the official death toll of 42,000 put out each day by the central government, whose count has lagged behind the local count since the early days of the disaster.

Asif Iqbal Daudzai, information minister for the North West Frontier Province, told The Associated Press that 37,958 people died in the province and at least 23,172 were injured, the vast majority of them in Mansehra district. He said the figures were based on reports from local government and hospital officials in the area.

2005/10/20 8:57Profile
groh_frog

Re: New figures put quake toll at more than 79,000

I've never really studied "the end times", but what does it say about when the earth will be going through "birth pains"? When will they happen in the spectrum of the end?

I guess this year has been pretty hard-core. Volcanoes are becoming active, the tsunami in December, the hurricane that hit New Orleans, this earthquake in pakistan... Just coincidence, or is more happening?

I know I had a bible study that focused on the fact that times will be like "in the days of Noah." And before the flood, "men began to increase in number...", etc. A lot seems like it could match up, but I'm sure people say that all the time.

Are there any other signs that seem to be lining up with Revelation? What is the order of things during the end times?

Grace and Peace...

2005/10/25 6:00Profile
roadsign

Re: Why the end times

Quote:
"the end times",

Just curious, ever since I joined the evangelical church 35 years ago, every time there is news about a disaster, one of the first things I hear is "We're in the end times". The words have oftne felt more like a closure to a discussion than an opener. I often wondered, how has this direction in the conversation helped us, or helped those who are affected by the disaster?

It seems that the end times started after Christ's resurrection.
You asked,
Quote:
What is the order of things during the end times?

This is a good question, and I know that God will bless you as you seek answers. I suggest that you study this for yourself and let the Spirit guide you. Ask God what it is he would like you to know. That way you grow in your faith, your ability to hear the Spirit. Your own studying will help you develop discernment. You will also learn a lot about God and his ways. This is a lot more work than just getting your answers from someone else - but in the end, you will be glad you did the work.

There are many packaged viewpoints about the end times out there - and a lot of them do not help anyone grow in Christ. If Christ is not the center of their conclusions, then they've missed the mark. Many have gone off track, being more curious about future predictions, than their own relationship with Christ and their love for fellow mankind.

The study about "end times" is worthwhile if it helps us set our priorities right - setting our hearts and minds on eternal things rather than temporal; if it helps us live for Christ above all else, and if it helps us grow in our love for others. It's good to know that this temporal life is as the passing wind, like grass that withers....

Otherwise we are merely playing chess with God's word.

Diane

2005/10/25 8:12Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re: Amen...

Sound advice Diane.

I would also suggest studying Matthew 25. It immediately follows Matthews 24, which talks about the "birth pains" or "birth pangs" depending on the translation.

The question I ask myself and would suggest you ask yourself "Is there oil in your lamp?"

When I was a teenager my focus was on Bible prophecy rather than Christ himself. My focus now is on Christ alone.

2005/10/25 10:13Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Dear Diane,

Thank you. You summed up very well what is of a great concern, that it is not in a dividing into camps over what may or may not be presently upon us. There is much to see a buildup that is difficult to deny yet at the same time the rush to go beyond what we think we really know.

Mat 24:6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: [b]see that ye be not troubled[/b]: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

It does seem that throughout all that Jesus spoke of concerning future events it was both a pay attention (watch and pray), be ready (the ten virgins) as well as to assume nothing nor go beyond proper limits (no one knows the day).

But ultimately this is the sentiment that you so succiently summarised:

Quote:
The study about "end times" is worthwhile if it helps us set our priorities right - setting our hearts and minds on eternal things rather than temporal; if it helps us live for Christ above all else, and if it helps us grow in our love for others. It's good to know that this temporal life is as the passing wind, like grass that withers....

This is the issue that is woven throughout all of scripture, in times of peace and times of disruption.

2005/10/25 10:41Profile
groh_frog

Re:

You guys are right, that "no man knows the day or the hour". And being able to match up specific prophecy will not get me any farther than to say "hey, the end times are coming" (duh!). I guess that this is an area where I am particularily weak, and so I'm also curious. Again, I look at some of the news, and it's honestly depressing, regarding the depravity of man in this age. I pray for the tribulation, I really do. It's disgusting to see the perversion that this world has so openly accepted. In a way, to just know that we are going to see the purification of God's people, to be encouraged by such tribulation, seems such a blessing.

We have an awesome opportunity right now, I think, to reach out to pakistan- a heavily muslim country, that's gotta be asking some questions right now. Father, help us to glorify you.

Grace and Peace...

2005/10/29 2:29Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy