Discussion Forum : Welcome & Intro : My search for authenticity

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Smokey

Edmonton Alberta Cda.

Re:

Stephen

What a blessing to read your posts, and the way that you have been able to be open and honest with your struggles.. In the days ahead, it is very important that you make time to pray each day.. I have found that there is usually something that will intrude, and distract you, but press on, you will be rewarded.. Welcome.
In Christ Greg ;-)

2005/11/2 0:15Profile

Re:

I used this with some other family in the Lord. I hope it overflows to you as well.

*Subject is prayer*

Fellowship with God by G. Campbell Morgan

Fellowship with God, then, as to privilege, is communion with Him; the actuality of friendship and fellowship with God, as to responsibility, is partnership with Him. . . Fellowship with God means we have gone into business with God, that His enterprises are to be our enterprises.

. . . . How many people are there in company with whom you can pour out everything in your heart, say everything, say anything? Very, very few . . . But there is a perfect description of friendship. With your friend you think aloud, there is no restraint; there is no need to keep up an appearance--the blunter thing would be to say, there is no need to play the hypocrite. . . With God it is my privilege to pour out everything that is in my heart, chaff and grain together, saying anything, saying everything I am thinking. But have we learned that lesson? Do not we think altogether too often our conversation with God must be that of carefully prepared and often stilting phrasing? I think we never so grieve His heart as when we attempt to speak thus with Him. Conversing with God reaches its highest level when, alone with Him, I pour in His listening ear everything in my heart; and the manner in which I have learned that secret, and live in the power of it, is the measure of the joy and strength of my friendship with God.

. . . I can say, and I do say, when alone with God things I dare not say in the hearing of other men. I tell Him all my griefs, and doubts, and fears; and if we have not learned to do so, we have never entered into the meaning of this great truth concerning fellowship. He will take out the grain, and with the breath of friendship blow the chaff away, only we must be honest when we are dealing with Him. . . Then He will be patient, and loving, and gentle; and out of the infinite love and gentleness of His heart He will speak some quiet word of comfort.

How much do we know of this fellowship? How much have we practiced talking to God of everything in our souls?

2005/11/2 0:34
JoanM

Re: My search for authenticity

I didn't realize this was posted so long ago. None the less here is a wonderful Encouragement to Prayer. The counsel of a father to his son who struggled with how to pray right.

Excerpt from Letter to His Children
by Isaac Watts (Senior)
Written 1685, when absent from family through persecution

MY DEAR CHILDREN,

…Though I cannot speak to you, yet I pray for you;… it is the desire of one of you (that is, my eldest son) to have a line of counsel from his father,…

2ndly, Consider, seriously and often, of the sinful and miserable estate you are in by nature, from the guilt of original sin, which came in by the fall of our first parents; also of the increasing of that guilt by your own transgressions, and that you are liable to eternal wrath thereupon; also think of the way of fallen man's recovery by grace; according to the foundation principles of the true christian religion, which you have learned in your catechism; and beg of God by prayer, to give understanding in them, and faith to believe in Jesus Christ, and an heart willing to yield obedience to his gospel commands in all things.

Though you cannot tell how to pray as you should do, nor in any order, yet, be not afraid nor ashamed to try. Go aside, my dear children, and think in your minds what it is that you want to make you holy and happy. Tell God that you want pardon of sin, a soft, tender, and sanctified heart, a portion of the Spirit, etc.; and then beg God to help you to pray for those things, and to teach you to pray, and to pardon the iniquities of your prayers. My children though it may want a form of words, yet if the heart be in it, this is prayer, and such a prayer too as God will hear and accept; for he despises not the day of small things, nor little ones; but loves to see them come and tell him what they would have. Tell him you would pray better, but you cannot, till he pleases to help you. My children, if you do but use this way you shall find that in time you will come to have praying gifts and praying graces too; for to them that ask, it shall be given: it will be your excellency, your honour, and your great profit to begin betimes to be praying christians. Prayer is the character of a child of God, the best remedy for soul diseases, and the best weapon for a saint's defense! God will pour out his wrath upon them that call not on his name.

Isaac Watts (July 17, 1674 – November 25, 1748) The "Father of English Hymnody", credited with some 750 hymns. His work was influential amongst independents and early religious revivalists in his circle. Watts was brought up in the English home of a committed Nonconformist (first Puritins and Presbyterians, later Congregationalist, Baptists, Methodists, Moravians and others). His father, the author of this letter, was incarcerated twice for his controversial views.

WONDERFUL: "Tell him you would pray better, but you cannot, till he pleases to help you."

2012/1/8 16:31Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy