SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A Hard Saying & A Harder Saying - The Cross

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

A Hard Saying & A Harder Saying - The Cross

“To many this seems a hard saying, Deny thyself, take up thy cross, and follow Jesus (Matt. 16:24). But it will be much harder to hear that last word: “Depart from me ye cursed into everlasting fire” (Matt. 25:41)

... Take up therefore your cross and follow Jesus (Luke 14:27), and you shall go into life everlasting. He went before, bearing His cross (John 19:17), and died for you on the cross: that you also may bear your cross and desire to die on the cross. For if you be dead with Him, you shall also in like manner live with Him (Gal 2:20; Rom 6:8). And if you share His punishment, you shall also share His glory (II Cor 1:5)

...Know for certain that you ought to lead a dying life (Ps. 44:22). And the more ant man dies to himself, forsaking all for Christ, so much the more he begins to live unto God. No man is fit to comprehend things heavenly, unless he submit himself to the bearing of adversities for Christ's sake. Nothing is more acceptable to God, nothing more wholesome to you in this world, then to suffer CHEERFULLY for Christ. And if you it were for you to choose, you ought rather to suffer adversities for Chirst, than to be refreshed with many consolations; because you would thus be more like unto Christ. For our worthiness, and the progress of our spiritual state stands not in many sweetnesses and comforts, but rather the in the thoroughly enduring great afflictions and tribulations.
Indeed, if there had been ant better thing, and more profitable to a mans salvation, then suffering, surely Christ would have shown us by word or example. For both the disciples who followed Him, and all who desire to follow Him, He plainly exhorts to the bearing of the cross, and saith: :If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me” (Luke 9:23). So when we have read to the end and searched through all, let this be the final conclusion: “That we must through much tribulation enter into the Kingdom of God” (Act 14:22).

To many this seems a hard saying, Deny thyself, take up thy cross, and follow Jesus (Matt. 16:24). But it will be much harder to hear that last word: “Depart from me ye cursed into everlasting fire” (Matt. 25:41)”

Thomas A Kempis
Admonitions Pertaining To Inward Things
Chapter 12: The King’s Highway Of The Holy Cross

2005/10/10 14:13Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: A Hard Saying & A Harder Saying - The Cross

Good words.

2005/10/10 23:26Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy