Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Lordship without Obedience is a Lie

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Lordship without Obedience is a Lie

Lordship without Obedience is a Lie

And he that betrayed him had given them a token, saying, Whomesoever I shall kiss, that same is he, take him, and lead him away safely. And as soon as he was come, he goeth straightway to him, and saith, Master, master; and kissed him. Mark 14:44-45.

This passage shows one of the greatest tragedies of all time. If you are not familiar with these verses, this is Judas when he betrayed Jesus. I want you to notice what Judas called Jesus. Did he call him friend? enemy? heretic? No, he called him master. Judas had done more than most preachers and pastors today. He literally walked with Jesus. He cast out devils, healed the sick, preached to Gospel, and possibly much more (Matt. 10). I’m fairly sure Judas seen more of the supernatural power of God than three or four Pentecostal denominations combined. He had no problem remembering all of the history of Jesus and all the things he did. He was there. So close, yet so far away. Just as this generation.

Judas was in Jesus’ inner circle. He knew where all the money went, he carried the money. He must have looked like such a great man. He left all to follow Jesus. I bet Judas could preach up a storm. I’m sure his preaching sounded so good to the masses. The other disciples would have never thought Judas could ever betray his master. If they would have suspected him, they would have accused him when Jesus told one was to betray him. Judas had lots of outstanding works. Judas helped hand out bread and fish to multitudes as Jesus broke it from just a few loaves of bread and fish, twice! (Mark 6:30-44, 8:1-10)

Didn’t Judas do everything he was suppose to? Didn’t he confess Him as Lord? He left everything to follow Him, right? He preached the Gospel more often than most Christians today. He was always in church. What a wonderful example of a godly man, or so it would seem. Lord, Lord is what most profess today. Can I be completely honest with you? If you call Him “Lord” and you are not obedient until the end you are a liar. If you call someone your lord does that not mean that he has complete reign over your life?

Judas was a liar, hypocrite, and a thief. I pray that you are not. “Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God?” is what 1 Cor. 6:9 says. Don’t we know what the Bible says? If you have righteousness it means God has right over your life. Don’t we know that 1 John 2:4 says, “He that saith, I know him, and keep not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him?” Doesn’t the Bible-belt know the Bible? I dare to say it, but it doesn’t know much of the Bible. I fear that many today are playing Judas. They may play church or dress up when it’s convenient but their heart has never been changed. I wish I could honestly say only 1/12 of professing Christians were doing this, but my fear is that many, many more than 1/12 are doing this.

Jesus once picked up a coin and asked, “Whose inscription is on this?” and they all replied “Cesar’s.” He then followed that with, “then render unto Cesar what is his and unto God what is his.” If you look at our dollars it says “In God We Trust.” We should render unto God what is his. It doesn’t stop there. God’s inscription is on you and this world. God is a Trinity. You are a trinity: spirit, soul, and body. This world is composed of atoms which have three parts: protons, electrons, and neutrons. The world itself has three parts: crust, mantle, and core.

My plea with you is if you confess Christ then please, depart from iniquity. Hypocrites will have the greater condemnation or in Jesus own words, “ Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows’ houses, and for a pretence make long prayers: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.” (Matt. 23:14)

2005/10/9 21:38Profile
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Re: Lordship without Obedience is a Lie

[b][size=large][font=Courier]Amen!!!![/font][/size][/b]

2005/10/10 2:01Profile

Quote:
My plea with you is if you confess Christ then please, depart from iniquity. Hypocrites will have the greater condemnation or in Jesus own words, “ Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows’ houses, and for a pretence make long prayers: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.” (Matt. 23:14)

Preach,

I just want to say how much I've appreciated the attention you've been drawing in this and previous recent posts, to the apparently abstract qualities of thought which affect our behaviour, and of which the Lord is not ignorant in any one of us. Thank you. It has edified me.

2005/10/14 21:57
Nightwatch

Kansas City

Uhh...
Judas was filled with satan.

Luke 22:3 ¶ Then Satan entered Judas, surnamed Iscariot, who was numbered among the twelve.
Luke 22:4 So he went his way and conferred with the chief priests and captains, how he might betray Him to them.
Luke 22:5 And they were glad, and agreed to give him money.
Luke 22:6 So he promised and sought opportunity to betray Him to them in the absence of the multitude.

No one is filled with Satan that you know. Not just a deamon, Satan. Its my understanding that he can only be in one place at a time.

Anyway just wanted to point that out, the whole idea of lordship requires obedience. I believe Ravenhill speaks about that a lot.

So I totally agree about the lordship part and don't like your example at all. :-(

2005/10/15 3:01Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord' and do not do what I say? -- Luke 6:46

As Ravenhill once said, He's either Lord of all, or not at all.

Romans 10:9 if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

And in the "Lordship salvation" debate, it is quite clear what Scripture teaches. Amazing that people are actually opposed to this stuff.

2005/10/15 13:27Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

My point was that Judas lived as a disciple, was even called an apostle(matt 10:2), and then rejected Christ. Just because you do certain things or hold a 'postion' doesn't mean you are anything.

Luke 22:3 [u]Then[/u] Satan entered Judas, surnamed Iscariot, who was numbered among the twelve.

When was "then"? Right before he denied Jesus or the entire time? Was he filled with Satan when he cast out devils? The "apostle" and "disciple" Judas denied the Lord.

2005/10/15 15:06Profile

Re:

Quote:
And in the "Lordship salvation" debate, it is quite clear what Scripture teaches. [b]Amazing that people are actually opposed to this stuff[/b].

Who is opposed to this stuff?

Quote:
No one is filled with Satan that you know. Not just a deamon, Satan. Its my understanding that he can only be in one place at a time.

Anyway just wanted to point that out, the whole idea of lordship requires obedience. I believe Ravenhill speaks about that a lot.

So I totally agree about the lordship part and don't like your example at all.

I don't have a quibble with the lordship part or the obedience, either, but, although it was not the first point I wished to make, I agree that the example is extreme and unique.

However, the principle that lordship and obedience are linked...

2 Corinthians 10
5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
6 And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.
7 Do ye look on things after the outward appearance?

and

Acts 5:32
And we are his witnesses of these things; and also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

and

Luke 6:47 - 49
Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like: he is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock. But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.

2005/10/15 18:06
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Who is opposed to this stuff?

There are plenty of people opposed to the idea of lordship salvation. There are many in various Baptists churches that do. They fall under the heading of "easy believism" or "greasy gracers." Some highly praised theologians and preachers believe it e.g. Charles Ryrie.

I've noticed they all tend to entirely dodge Romans 10:9-10.

2005/10/15 18:28Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re: Great thread...

I would simply add that making Jesus lord is that something we actively and fully intend with earnestness of heart. My fear is that some believers think that saying I want to obey the Holy Spirit would be the same as actually obeying Him. That's a very deceptive lie as well...

2005/10/24 13:55Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy