SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Romanticism of the Prophetic Ministry

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

The Romanticism of the Prophetic Ministry

Based on a recent strand of posts on the forum (The Forthteller) I'd like to make a few comments. In general I find the posts to be rather good concerning the prophetic ministry. However, I've noticed a possible trend in that thread, though I don't know if that is quite the understanding of the author. But, this thread here is not to be thought of as a rebuke to Lwpray or any other person on this board... but just a word of caution in to everybody in general.

Do not do a disservice to the prophetic ministry by thinking of the prophet as the intense loner who has his head in the clouds. Do not romanticise this ministry. The true prophet is to be like any other minister, and for that matter, like any other Christian. He is to dwell with a community of loners. The key to his ministry is not hearing from God, or speaking for God. They key to his ministry is not prayer. They key to his ministry is faithfulness. Granted, his faithfulness might cause one to be depicted as an intense loner with his head in the clouds, especially if the Christians he has found himself surrounded by have not been the faithful stewards they were called to be.

However, character wise he is to be like any other faithful Christian, bearing the fruit of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness and self-control. In a faithful community, the only thing that out to set him apart is his function, and nothing more.

2003/11/15 14:08Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re: The Romanticism of the Prophetic Ministry

Dear Jimmy and other Readers,
I have been writing a couple of items on the prophetic ministry during some years, certainly because of the romanticism, the hype and the hubris which appears and occurs wherever this subject is brought forth.
What I have displayed at this site is only a minor part of the wide range of things to be said about a prophetic ministry – only two items has been on display: The Seer and the Forthteller. They belong to a much larger segment of texts under the heading Aspects of the Prophetic Ministry.
This to say that it is impossible to write enough to describe the complex situation which a person called to this office is planted into in just one or two small articles.

Comments on comments:
“The prophet as the intense loner who has his head in the clouds”.
The prophet is not a prophet because he prefers to be a loner. On the contrary, he has to be down to earth – he has to learn the art of communication. His field of operation is man’s everyday situations. He is planted there to say something about Heaven.
But he needs to be spiritual and intelligent enough to be relevant.
The nature of his mission will, sad to say, push him to the side regarding fellowship. Not many like to have him around, because his faithfulness. His faithfulness becomes a stumbling block and a provocation in this world, also among Christians.

“The key to his ministry is not prayer. They key to his ministry is faithfulness.”
I heartily disagree on the first part of this quote – vertical communication is everything to a Christian. Vertical communication is life and death to the prophet!
I heartily agree to the second part of this quote.

As I intend to show, the ministry of a prophet is complex indeed. It is painful indeed. It is indeed rewarding. Let us go on to investigate together.
Lars W.

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=627&forum=35&7] The Seer[/url]
[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=697&forum=35&13] The Forthteller[/url]

2003/11/15 14:45Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

The nature of his mission will, sad to say, push him to the side regarding fellowship. Not many like to have him around, because his faithfulness. His faithfulness becomes a stumbling block and a provocation in this world, also among Christians.

Indeed, he will be pushed aside if the community in which he finds himself is not being faithful to God, and has no interest in being faithful to God. But, that is nothing unique to the prophetic ministry. The same goes for apostles, evangelists, pastors, teachers, or just those with the gift of giving.

Quote:

“The key to his ministry is not prayer. They key to his ministry is faithfulness.”
I heartily disagree on the first part of this quote – vertical communication is everything to a Christian. Vertical communication is life and death to the prophet!
I heartily agree to the second part of this quote.

Actually, you probably agree but misunderstood me :)

Do not get me wrong, prayer is vital for the prophetic ministry... any ministry for that matter. However, prayer can only branch forth from faithfulness. But, then I suppose it becomes circular after the fact. One prays because they are faithful, and are faithful because they pray. In any case, I still go back to my original statement. The key to prophetic ministry, or any ministry, is faithfulness.

Quote:

As I intend to show, the ministry of a prophet is complex indeed.

I don't believe ministry is complex. It is really quite simple. Be faithful. Do what the Holy Spirit tells you to do. In case of the prophet, "I will put my words in His mouth and He shall speak all that I command Him to speak." (Deut 18) When the temptation comes along to speak smooth words, to speak contrary what you are told to speak, or to not speak at all, then one is called to be faithful in order that one may testify with Jeremiah, "You Yourself know that the utterance of my lips was in Your presence." (Jer 17:16)

2003/11/15 16:07Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re: The Romanticism of the Prophetic Ministry

A point of beginning of any romantic notion is the tendency to oversimplification.
Prophets deal with Reality, the roots of Reality. They search for the reasons why things are the way they are. Their attitude is displayed in the following sequence: “Concerning which salvation the prophets sought and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you. “ 1 Pet 1:10. Searching diligently. No room for easy going. No tendency to oversimplification. Careful discernment is to be regarded as a vital element to be engaged when dealing with essentials.
Not many dare to pay the prise involved to apprehend and follow through in such a worthy task. Prophets become prophets solely because of God’s choice. They will endure because of grace and because they dare to walk the road to its end. There is nothing simple or one eyed about their stance. Single minded and straight are words that carry a part of the scent of their appearance.
Lars

2003/11/15 18:07Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy