SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Our Most Sacred Idol

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: Our Most Treasured Idol

I have shaved the concept of being right at all costs to this question? And I put this on myself, too.

Who won the last argument you got into? You, the other guy, or Christ?

2005/10/2 22:15Profile

Re:

Ha, Amen y'all.

That's why I don't have my own website. :-P

And limit myself to only this forum.

I can get into enough trouble just here.

"Right" is one thing ... True Truth is another.
But I still won't have my own website 8-) .
But I can recommend a few really good ones, Thank God.

:-)

Edit: sorry, not trying to steal ccchhhrrriiisss's signature. (smile)

2005/10/2 23:18
baruch_48

Re:

the idol of being right is the biggest idol on all discussion boards

the next biggest is the idol of needing to be heard

2005/10/3 6:32Profile

Re:

Can we add to this "discussion boards problems" list, a lack of Love and an over abundance of judging ?

Everyone in the Body of Christ deserves to be 'heard' ... and no one would sign onto a "Forum" and start threads unless they had that "need to be heard".

And we're all here to also listen to each other and hear each other out ... or at least we should be.

And maybe cut each other some slack.

And maybe when we start a thread about a certain type "sin", we should ask ourselves if we're guiltless.

And maybe as this world gets uglier and uglier and meaner and meaner, we should all the more cleave to each other and comfort and love each other ?

In the end, these 'Christians' we meet on Forums, will be the only friends we have left, in a world that will eventually hate us all ... as Jesus prophesied that "ALL the world will hate you."

:cry:

2005/10/3 6:58
baruch_48

Re: “blurting out from your own inadequate understanding” vs.“wisdom speaking thru you"

after posting just previously, this AM, I went to listen to a sermon I'd downloaded that speaks exactly to what I just posted

from the speaker : [b]"( I have done ) ... more harm in the name of Truth than in error "

“ ( I have been ) a bull in a china shop” ...[/b]

Also, the two phrases in the subject line of the post are the speaker's words

“blurting out from your own inadequate understanding"

"wisdom speaking thru you "

here is a transcription of part of the teaching:

[i][size=small].. the ego always wants to be expressed .. always wants to show itself off --
even in what is correct ... because we’re certainly not going to be bringing honor on our
heads by speaking lies -- but by speaking truths and bringing correction ... yes, that can be
an ego trip .... so what is prudence ? prudence is self-discipline ... prudence is holding
something and not blurting it out immediately .... with a sense of caution about first
examining one’s own heart before speaking to that point or to that issue ... and that’s a
discipline .... because the flesh wants NOW .... to receive the gratification of being
“heard” .. acknowledged .... people patting you on the back ..... “boy that was real
something .. you really said it ..... “

.. it’s amazing how we can be ego-driven over spiritual things ! .. so it’s a discipline .. to
KEEP [b]that filthy thing checked[/b] .. and to be cautious .. and know what is the
deceitfulness of our own hearts ... and wait until the Lord will GIVE a proper occasion,
time and release for that very thing .. and when it comes forth in His time .. and in His
way - it will come forth as if He himself has spoken it ... and you’ll not receive any of the
credit - you’ll not be able to boast ... and the person ..or .. church body to whom those
words are addressed will receive it - as a life-giving word - there’ll be no recoiling ...

one of the characteristics of Righteousness is Peace ..... so whatever is being conducted -
even necessary correction - if it is being conducted in the prudence & wisdom of God ...
the end thereof will be Peace - and if it’s not .... the end thereof will be strife ---

so one of the ways you can know whether you’re imprudent or prudent ... is what has
been the result of your speaking or sharing - has it brought strife ? or has it brought
peace ?[/size][/i]

the speaker also quoted from Oswald Chambers in this "informal teaching" session :

[b]“ the Christian must be consistent to the Life of the Son of God in him ... not consistent
to hard and fast creeds “ ......[/b]

“ men pour themselves into creeds .. and God has to blast them out of their prejudices ,
before they can [b]become devoted[/b] to Jesus Christ “

2005/10/3 7:46Profile
baruch_48

Re:

Quote:
Can we add to this "discussion boards problems" list, a lack of Love and an over abundance of judging ?

Everyone in the Body of Christ deserves to be 'heard' ... and no one would sign onto a "Forum" and start threads unless they had that "need to be heard".

And we're all here to also listen to each other and hear each other out ... or at least we should be.

Hi Annie,

My question is ... do our words bring/increase "strife", "dissension" - in our 'needing' to be heard .... or do they bring Life. I submit that that doesn't have to be the reason for a saint to come to a forum - that one "needs to be heard" ... but rather, to come and impart Life, without the need for [b][i]personally being heard.[/i][/b]

if it's to impart Life ... it's Christ in us ... that's "being heard" - not you or I

I must decrease, so that He might increase ....

by the way, Sister, on the other thread ( anti-babylon ), sorry that I apparently misinterpreted you. it just sounded that you were questioning the validity of "unity", which I wondered why ... and couldn't get the "gist" of your post

no probs

in Christ,

Bro baruch

2005/10/3 8:00Profile
baruch_48

Re:

Quote:
a lack of Love and an over abundance of judging ?

I also submit, Annie .. that a lack of Love and an over abundance of judging is hand in hand with needing to be heard ( rather than staying "buried with Christ" & not judging & not lashing out at someone's post cause one disagrees with them theologically .. or whatever )

if we loved one another more ( and indeed loved Christ more - for love for one another IS LOVE FOR CHRIST ) .... then we would remain quiet, rather than indulge in the fleshly need to cry out and hit at a brother/sister's post.

are we seeing the same thing ?

baruch

2005/10/3 8:06Profile

Re:

I thought this message was very good.

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7481&forum=36&6

I think everyone should be heard on here.

And if we can say, all of our own threads and posts have been to 'edify only' ... then maybe we've 'arrived' ... but I think it may be unfair to put that on us, as we have young in the Lord here, that may feel, if they post, they may just be posting "to be heard".

Personally, I don't think any here should have that fear. That's how we all grow. If we post a blooper, we grow by it.

If we start threads, that don't "edify", well, then we grow by it.

I still think we need to cut each other more slack. And give everyone the same space we've taken for ourselves in this public gathering.

And it depends what you mean by "hitting out at someone's post" ?

Do you see that on this particular page we're on here now ?

2005/10/3 11:46
roadsign

Re: A learning process

Quote:
I still think we need to cut each other more slack. And give everyone the same space we've taken for ourselves in this public gathering.

Annie, this is the path of mercy. We learn through what we see ourselves write and what we hear ourselves say. We give others that same gift - the gift to share as they are, to learn, to fail, and then to admit, and recieve mercy from others and from God.

It is a humbling process when we realize: Oh, dear! That was my ego showing itself. But that is what it means to be poor in spirit... is it not?

If we can't speak or write till we have arrived, this forum would be quite silent, I suspect.
Diane

2005/10/3 14:41Profile
roadsign

Re: A response

I just received this response from someone who is not on this forum. I thought that it was a worthwhile read:

Quote:
A psychologist may argue with my definitions or claim they are too simplified, but that's okay. As far as I can ascertain, pride and ego are our two primary defenses against the outside world. My ego's job is to convince you, despite all evidence to the contrary, that I'm okay. Its tools are subtle and may take the forms of distraction or camouflage. For example, if my ego walks into the room before I get there, dancing and singing and flashing bright coloured lights, you may never get to see the real me underneath. That distraction is required because if you penetrate my disguise and you don't like what you see underneath, then what do I do? Alternately, my ego may cause me to be very, very quiet. Again, if I hide in the bushes at the periphery of events and I'm very careful, then once again, you'll have missed seeing the real me. Or my ego may erect a front not dissimilar to the Wizard of Oz (another idol) and set it loose to represent me in the outside world.
Pride is a whole different kettle of fish. If through some misstep on my part or exceptional cleverness on yours you manage to penetrate my ego, you'll meet the next line of defence - pride. My pride's sole purpose is, once again despite all evidence to the contrary, to convince me that I'm okay and it will join battle with all comers. It rejects all suggestions of positive changes in actions, behaviour, and thought because that would require admission that in some senses, I'm not okay -- a proposition that is simply too scary to contemplate. Pride's weapons against me are embarrassment, shame, humiliation, regret, sorrow, angst and, the biggest of them all, a closed mind. Its primary weapons against outsiders are anger, rage, jealousy, envy and the ilk.

When my ego and my pride are intact and operating at full steam, I'm unapproachable. You may make any suggestions you like about positive changes I could make in my life to make it better and I won't hear your suggestions as anything other than as an attack. And the saddest part of all is that part of me may be perfectly aware that you're trying to help, yet be powerless to act. The internal dialogue may go something like this: "Change? Change what, for Pete's sake! Do you think I like the way I am any better than you do? Don't you think if I knew what to change - and how to change it - that I'd do it in a second?" The rest is an incoherent howl.

So, the observer might ask what happens when my ego and pride take a day off. I'm not completely certain, although I suspect the state in which I'm left is one of humility (not humiliation). It definitely produces feelings of peace and serenity.

The observer may also wonder how someone gets from one state - hopelessly hostage to ego and pride - to another. I suspect the answers are legion. In my case, however, it was through what I learned in AA's program of recovery, which is nothing more or less than a program of spiritual growth that teaches people who never learned elsewhere how to live.

mw

You may have discovered that this reader still needs to discover the ultimate divine Truth. Sadly, he has been wounded so deeply through the church and other horrors in life that he has renounced the existance of God. As I get to know him more and more, I sense that God's hand is working in his life, even though he won't admit it yet. I pray for his salvation. Would you too?

PS This response humbles us - to see that sometimes atheists understand more about spiritual need than most professing Christians.
Diane

2005/10/4 7:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy