SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Why Did The Old Prophet Lied to the Man God in 1Ki 13?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
paula4jc

Why Did The Old Prophet Lied to the Man God in 1Ki 13?

Was he a false prophet? If yes, explain verse 13:20.

1Ki 13:7 And the king said to the man of God, "Come home with me, and refresh yourself, and I will give you a reward."
1Ki 13:8 And the man of God said to the king, "If you give me half your house, I will not go in with you. And I will not eat bread or drink water in this place,
1Ki 13:9 for so was it commanded me by the word of the LORD, saying, 'You shall neither eat bread nor drink water nor return by the way that you came.'"
1Ki 13:10 So he went another way and did not return by the way that he came to Bethel.
1Ki 13:15 Then he said to him, "Come home with me and eat bread."
1Ki 13:16 And he said, "I may not return with you, or go in with you, neither will I eat bread nor drink water with you in this place,
1Ki 13:17 for it was said to me by the word of the LORD, 'You shall neither eat bread nor drink water there, nor return by the way that you came.'"
1Ki 13:18 And he said to him, "I also am a prophet as you are, and an angel spoke to me by the word of the LORD, saying, 'Bring him back with you into your house that he may eat bread and drink water.'" But he lied to him.
1Ki 13:19 So he went back with him and ate bread in his house and drank water.

2005/9/29 20:52Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Why Did The Old Prophet Lied to the Man God in 1Ki 13?

See the following link for an outstanding article that covers this very text you have mentioned. I think it will answer your question most effectively. It is a message I think all Christians should take heed of, epecially those who are mature believers.

[url=http://www.charityministries.org/theremnant/2004/September/theremnant-September2004-home.cfm]The Deadly Devices of a Sleeping Prophet[/url]

In Christ,

Ron

2005/9/29 22:27Profile
GaryE

Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

Re: Why Did The Old Prophet Lied to the Man God in 1Ki 13?

Bethel was a high place and represents a place of the heart. Bethel had been a high place appointed by God with Jacob but later became a high place that wasn't appointed by God when Jereboam 1 made cafe worship there. Dan and Bethel were places that were made so that the subjects of Israel would not go to the high place of Jerusalem to worship at temple that was appointed by God to worship at. Dan and Bethel represent places of the heart when people don't go the whole way with God or are partial in what they do.

This old prophet lived in Bethel. What was he doing there? In verse 20 and the following verses the prophet did speak the word of the Lord.

In Christ,
GaryE

2005/9/29 22:44Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy