SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Interesting Word Origins

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
denem7

Orange Park, FL

Interesting Word Origins

i thought i'd start a fun subject entitled "interesting word origins" (based on a previous post of mine). if anyone has any contributions, please feel free to reply. (some of these ,you may have already heard.....)

1-conscience... 'con' means 'with', 'science' means 'knowledge'... 'with knowledge'! the next time you witness to an atheist, ask him if he knows what the word conscience means!

2- amusement... 'a' means 'not', 'muse' means 'to think'... 'not-think-ment'! how many of us are guilty of too much amusement?

3- servant....(e.g. "paul, a servant of christ...") in the original greek is 'doulos' which means 'bondservant'. a bondservant is different from a servant. a servant works 8 to 5 and goes home and lives any old way. a bondservant is bound to his master 24 hours a day! are we bound to the master 24 hours a day? hope so!

dennis

2005/9/28 14:15Profile
denem7

Orange Park, FL

Re: Interesting Word Origins

no one? well, maybe i'll submit some others. maybe someone will find them beneficial....

1- offend.
Luke 17:1 it is impossible that no offenses should come.

offend- from the greek word "skandalon" which means " the part of the trap to which the bait is attached"

has satan set any "baited traps" in your pathway?

2005/9/29 8:21Profile

Re:

This 'is' fun Dennis.

I hope you'll continue. I think words are the most fasinating things on earth, pretty much. They amaze me.

Hope you don't mind going on with it.

[u]Thanks ![/u]
Annie

2005/9/29 8:54

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy