SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Prayer of Jabez

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
JaySaved

Kentucky

Prayer of Jabez

I am probably about 4 years late on this, but I recently picked up the "Prayer of Jabez". I went to Amazon.com to read some reviews of it and noticed the following:

This book was profoundly productive for me, August 23, 2005
Reviewer: M. O'Connell "happymaryellen" (Marin County, CA) - See all my reviews

I had issues of deservability for years. No matter what therapy or spiritual path, I had an underlying sense I was not worthy of success and the good life. Someone recommended I get this book to help me in improving my business. I was skeptical, very, and I am not and do not want to become a Christian (no comments on that please). But I figured I would try the book out, and see if my life could improve. The book was a VERY easy read, and it really made me take a look at what I really did believe. I have had enormous success since incorporating this prayer into my life. I am still not a Christian, nor do I want to be, but this guy made great sense and it has improved all areas of my life to pray this prayer. I am very grateful for the suggestion to read it!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1576737330/002-1956537-7088845?v=glance

This greatly disturbs me. How can a lost peron read a Christian book, be blessed by the book, and have no desire to become a Christian?

I do know that this review could be fake, but I was very distubed by it.

2005/9/28 13:07Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: Prayer of Jabez

Quote:

How can a lost peron read a Christian book, be blessed by the book, and have no desire to become a Christian?

My personal conviction on this is that God pours out his blessings on the righteous and the unrighteous. Its all grace! Its His kindness that leads us to repentance and sometimes unless someone interpets the message the person is left not knowing the conditions.

The contention comes, would the prayer of Jabez be considered a blessing from the Lord? :-P Please knowone answer that. :-x

2005/9/28 13:52Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

People want God's blessings without any strings. I gave a friend Ray Comfort's 'God Doesn't Believe in Athiests.' While I really doubt the guy is a believer, he is interested in the faith. He tried to justify himself by the ten commandments by saying that it is only wrong to 'bear false witness to your neighbor.' He explained that lying about yourself is okay, but not to someone. I responded with 'all liars will have their part in the lake of fire.'

He usually tries to justify himself, though I can tell from his words he is not knowledgeable of the basic doctines of faith. When I try to correct him, he usually gets a little hot (convicted). I figured the book would be great. He just commented he liked the information, but did not like the parts telling him to get converted because he was already a believer.

Some people don't get it, but we just have to pray for them and be obediant in witnessing. "Shall not the judge of all the earth do right?" is what I have to make myeslf remember.

2005/9/29 10:11Profile

Re:

When I think about the Prayer of Jabez phenomenon, and the resulting money-making marketing frenzy that went along with it... the words of Keith Green come to mind:

[i]"Oh bless me Lord, bless me Lord
You know it’s all I ever hear
No one aches, no one hurts
No one even sheds one tear

But he cries, he weeps, he bleeds
And he cares for you needs
And you just lay back
And keep soaking it in
Oh can’t you see it’s such a sin

’cause he brings people to you door
And you turn them away
As you smile and say
God bless you, be at peace
And all heaven just weeps
’cause jesus came to you door
You’ve left him out on the streets"[/i]

Krispy

2005/9/29 11:10
dohzman

Like Krispy , I see that money/prosperity aspect in the heathen (unsaved/unregenerate) as well as in the christians. The truth is that God honors His word and as such when an unregenerated person applies God's principles it works. I know some will dissagree with me on this, but History itself proves that the application of God's principles work for both the saved and unsaved alike. But any truth can be taken and perverted for selfish ends and having read the book I can see how it could be easily misused toward that end, how ever I don't believe that was the authors original purpose in writting it.

2005/9/29 15:20Profile

Re:

Quote:
how ever I don't believe that was the authors original purpose in writting it.

Agreed... I've been impressed by what I have learned about the author. We shouldnt be surprised that millions of people took his book and misapplied it. It happens to God all the time.

Krispy

2005/9/29 16:13

Quote:
The truth is that God honors His word and as such when an unregenerated person applies God's principles it works. I know some will dissagree with me on this

Well let the next person be the first one, because I agree with you completely.

2005/9/29 18:32

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy